1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was. I'd like to keep you abreast of the improvements we've made over the past few days.
    @notification emails have been added, in response to user requests

Attached images are now Full Size by default

Users are now all allowed three (3) links in their signature files,

SSL certification is now in place so you can all browse securely.

The server has been reconfigured so that site speeds will improve.

Notice: Right now the site is slow because we are fixing all the images from the past 4 months. Many of you noticed that these were missing, and we are fixing that problem now. Unfortunately, it is taking up a lot of resources and causing the site to be slow.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

Honestly, even though my Marlow pennies are full strap loafers, I don't think the Patriots have a place in my closet anymore. If they were shell it would be a different story.

I did not check with AE to see what they could do.

1 person likes this.
  2. evilWagon

evilWagon Well-Known Member

I would tend to agree with you. Due in a large part to this thread I recently picked up two pairs of seconds and am wearing the first pair (Lasalle chili calf) today. I keep looking down to get a feel for if this shape is right or if it looks slightly silly with the size of my feet (15D) but I think they are starting to warp the way I look at other shoes. My cheapy captoes looked almost cartoonish last night after I finished polishing these. I'm still on the fence about what I think about these... but perhaps the narrower profile towards the toes helps minimize the impact of the length of my feet.

3. David Copeland

David Copeland Well-Known Member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    I have yet to make the transition from the instant soft Calfskin leather to the Shell . . . so I ask, how long did it take you (number of hours?) to break in your shoes and boots to where the comfort level of shell was equal to calfskin?

(Open question to anyone here)

David

4. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Well-Known Member

David: 53.25 hours on average for shell shoes with a double sole. 2.20 hours for loafers.

1 person likes this.
  5. wilbromarshall

wilbromarshall Active Member

I have 19 different pair of shoes form AE and those are hands down my favorite pair. The Walnut is also the most commented on pair by a wide margin. I like them so much that I bought a black pair as well.

I would entertain parting with some of my collection but no chance on those.

If you do somehow get them to make a special run please post in this thread because I need a dark brown shoe for my collection and I will get in line behind you.

6. David Copeland

"Did you lose a leg in the war?"

Just finished last night watching the biographical film WE WERE SOLDIERS.

One of the real-life characters portrayed in 1965 was from a family of 3 generations of war time veterans - and he mentioned his great, great grandfathers each lost a leg in the same war, but a different leg (one right and one left) . . . and they wore the same size shoe.

To save money, they decided to buy one pair of shoes together instead of going it alone and spending more money on just one shoe. They continued this for a few years, and then their children likened each other and married . . . thus starting a very unique family history of veterans.

So . . . when I noticed your great collection of AE shoes all being lefties (I know, some rightie is going the verify this) . . .my first thought went to the great, great grandfathers during a time of our country where the choice of one-legged shoes was limited (or at least the choice of getting a leg replacement was limited).

All my best,

David
    (With deep respect to all veterans)

7. David Copeland

Forgive me if I am repeating myself . . . but I suggest you check with your homeowner's policy to make sure you have "guaranteed replacement value" on your forty-four in case of fire, theft, flood, earthquake, act-of-God . . . that would amount to over $22,000 if such a loss occurred.

When I began to collect films in the early days of Video - and then continued into collecting DVDs from the 1990's - my wife suggested that the replacement cost may be cheaper once the internet started. (She was right).

But for each film I purchased, I also had to allocate an additional cost of wood shelving for the storage of films. I suspect you will have to factor in shelving costs per square foot - should you ever decide to invest in a glass door cabinet to showcase your treasure:

[​IMG]

8. Winston S.

Winston S. Well-Known Member

This was just anecdotal right? You weren't seriously asking if he lost a leg?

9. jrarnold

jrarnold Well-Known Member

This has been a problem that has developed for me since I started lurking in this thread. I now evaluate the shoes that everyone is wearing from the advice I have learned here. Today I saw a gentleman in a suit with ridiculously, overly long dress shoes that had something like 4 extra inches on the end past his toes. I could tell by the way they curled and where the creases were. It look really, really awful and I was wondering how he could wear them. This was never something I would have cared about before, but having been down the rabbit hole and learned all about the importance of the appearance of your shoes and proper care of them, these things bother me now.

10. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

6-1 B's. Bruins lead series 2-0 headed to Boston. I'm enjoying this while I can. ;-) Does AE make ice skates? No, David, I'm not really asking if they make skates and I don't need a Photoshop of blades on a pair of wingtips.

11. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice more creasing on their right shoe from driving? I drive a stick shift. I think the creasing on the right is because of the tendency to use the tip of the ball of my foot, coupled with the fact that my kenilworths are in fact a half size too long, ends up putting too much flex on the tip and prematurely creasing the shoe. I am trying to retrain myself to accelerate using more of my foot instead of my toes.

Will a moisturizer and shoe trees/stuffing help straighten out the creases?

12. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Well-Known Member

So I got my first pair of AE's, black McTav's. AE's website says to use the conditioner and saddle soap. How often should I be using them, and/or is there any signs are should be looking for that I need to use them? Also, what is the best way to use them (should I just follow the instructions on the products or is there a better way)?

13. easy_golfing

easy_golfing Well-Known Member

Does the tent sale include shell patriots?

14. Shoeluv

Shoeluv Well-Known Member

Huge thread on shoe care here. You will spends days learning about caring for your shoes.

15. BCer

BCer Well-Known Member

Int

interesting you ask. I too have two pair of McTavish, and was confused by Saddle Soap. So if you look in the "Ask and Answer" in the Saddle Soap page, you'll see my question on how to use it. "Soap" means water and soap sudsed up, to me. I was confused on how to use it. They clarified it in their answer. Although I still haven't used it on my Natural Tan or Grey McTavishes. Nervous...

16. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

Consider my statement retracted. I will think twice about shit-talking in the future....well, at least until the Steelers start playing.

17. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Why, yes I did:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my apologies for the sub-par phone pics.

18. ridgerunner

ridgerunner New Member

I suspect that 99.5% of posters and readers of this forum use their Allen Edmonds shoes in an urban or suburban environment. When I was about 13 my father purchased me a pair of veldtshoen type shoes, just at a time when I was getting into exploring nearby wetlands and forests - and ever since I have liked the idea of traditional leather shoes for use in street/off-street scenarios. For decades I went with good leather hiking boots for my 13 B size, but in the past few years have been looking for shoes that might do okay in my use. I now am in part an "outdoor educator" and partly salmon issues researcher - in a day regularly both in the office and out along natural stream-trails. I have about a half-dozen pairs of Allen Edmonds presently - from regular Park Avenues & Fifth Avenues to Walnut Strands (rubber sole) and Lexington (double sole).

QUESTION: Wanting shoes, and not boots, anyone suggest an option among the Allen Edmonds universe of shoes that might work? I should add that I prefer open lacing for control, and have given up trying to find English alternatives in narrow widths like C&J Grasmeres. Do like the pebbled look - had considered getting an allen edmonds custom pair with vibram soles or the one simillar to dainite soles.

Looking for real advice here - not criticism of the choice vs. hiking boots!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  19. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Well-Known Member

You sir, are an American Gentleman. I look forward to some Patriots / Steelers trash talking in a few months.

20. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Well-Known Member

Tom Brady- the other Irish-American who owns the Steelers.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.