• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbtaylor

Reaction score
So I wasn't all that happy with my first Bourbon Strands so I ordered a second pair. Thankfully, I didn't send the first pair back (I thought it best to wait and see what the second pair looked like first). Here are each pair and then one of each side by side. The replacement pair looks a lot more Walnut than Bourbon. Thoughts on which everyone likes best? I'm leaning toward my original pair, despite my initial misgivings, simply because I'm not a huge fan of the lack of color depth in the second pair.

First pair looks much better, what were you not pleased with?

BCer

Reaction score
Picture??

Here you go:

You need some AE Chili edge dressing there...I ordered some with my last shipment, and it does look great. For some reason boot edges do scuff up - I think it's the restricted ankle-flex of boots.

robbrechter

Reaction score

First pair looks much better, what were you not pleased with?

There's some pulling/cracking in the leather on the side of one of the shoes. Looks like I'm just going to keep that first pair, though. The second is pristine, but I'm assuming they're seconds because of the poor glazing job done on the upper.

Last edited:

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

You need some AE Chili edge dressing there...I ordered some with my last shipment, and it does look great. For some reason boot edges do scuff up - I think it's the restricted ankle-flex of boots.

I have some. These boots are due for a good cleaning/touch-up...

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got the $90 AMOK also...extremely narrow, narrower than the Strand by far. I even went from D to E and they still are very narrow. The suede is very thin. Time will tell how they hold up.

I just got them, so can't comment on durability. Quality wise, these are seconds, but like many seconds I've purchased I can't find any major flaws. They're fairly narrow, but given how unstructured they are I'm not too concerned. Bottom line, I'm happy with the purchase.

I remember some people mentioning that they seemed thin and flimsy a good number of months back when they were first released. If it's any consolation, I handled an Alden Unline Chukka on the Flex welt sole the other day, and I think it felt much flimsier than the Amok. I think it's just the nature of the unlined suede which doesn't really provide much resistance to bending/flexing the sole which creates the feeling of a flimsy shoe. It doesn't necessarily mean it isn't plenty durable. Hope you both enjoy them!

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's some pulling/cracking in the leather on the side of one of the shoes. Looks like I'm just going to keep that first pair, though. The second is pristine, but I'm assuming they're seconds because of the poor glazing job done on the upper.

To each their own, but if it were me, I'd take the pair that doesn't have damaged leather. I can see the color difference you are referring to, but I don't think it is enough to warrant returning an otherwise pristine pair of shoes.

robbrechter

Reaction score

To each their own, but if it were me, I'd take the pair that doesn't have damaged leather.  I can see the color difference you are referring to, but I don't think it is enough to warrant returning an otherwise pristine pair of shoes. 

I am quite torn. You're right in that the second pair are pristine, but the pictures really don't do justice to the walnut coloring. It's quite strong, and there's very little of the darker brown clouding that the Bourbon is supposed to have. I'm going to sit on them both for a day or two to see how I feel.

You do have an extremely valid point, though.

Last edited:

ddgdl

Reaction score
I am quite torn. You're right in that the second pair are pristine, but the pictures really don't do justice to the walnut coloring. It's quite strong, and there's very little of the darker brown clouding that the Bourbon is supposed to have. I'm going to sit on them both for a day or two to see how I feel.

You do have an extremely valid point, though.

My bourbon strand seconds arrived looking like your first pair, but upon application of Saphir reno, the burnishing came right off and now they appear much more like your second pair- so perhaps you should discretely test the first pair to see if they have the same problem. if so, then you have your answer :)

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bourbon strand seconds arrived looking like your first pair, but upon application of Saphir reno, the burnishing came right off and now they appear much more like your second pair- so perhaps you should discretely test the first pair to see if they have the same problem. if so, then you have your answer :)

I didn't want to say it, but I was thinking the same thing.
peepwall[1].gif

robbrechter

Reaction score

My bourbon strand seconds arrived looking like your first pair, but upon application of Saphir reno, the burnishing came right off and now they appear much more like your second pair- so perhaps you should discretely test the first pair to see if they have the same problem.  if so, then you have your answer :)

You were right. Both are the same color after applying just a small bit of conditioner/cleaner. Have you found a polish color that will help retain even some of the clouding or no? The site says use Walnut but that seems like it won't do much of anything. Looking at Saphir colors now to see what I can think of, but any advice you can give would be awesome.

mikeharo

Reaction score
Rey, I can't speak to the color matching but I have a few belts from Orion - they are outstanding belts.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like so far the soho is preferred, and the favorite color is bourbon. What I have from going through everything is:

Size Person Shoe Color Shell Option?
9D DJTravler soho bourbon
8.5E PerCC either bourbon or brown
9.5EEE Downtheline soho bourbon
12D GOP Shoe Guy either walnut Walnut Shell
12EEE polojock615 soho bourbon cappuccino shell
9D adamdurbin soho bourbon or walnut #8 Shell
Michael Haines soho cappuccino shell
8.5D SouthNarc soho bourbon
14EEE elbastardocalvo soho black
12.5E\13D fiestaplatypus soho bourbon cappuccino shell
11.5D jch1 soho bourbon
9.5D PMxx1 soho black

Any corrections or changes, or anyone else interested please let me know and I will send in the information to AE in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads