• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any Malvern owners out there? Does the rubber sole disinterest anyone?

IMO, the Malvern does not fit TTS. I had to size up half a size to get a good fit in the toe box. The rubber sole is very well done and does not detract from the look of the shoe. The only negative I would have about the soe is that I had to send back the first pair of Malverns I got due to the rubber heel covering coming loose. I've had them about a year now, and the same issue is happening to the second pair.

I don't own them, but they were on my short list as a consideration when I was looking for a rubber soled boot last fall. I ended up going with something different. However, I know that many people have had trouble with the fit with the Malvern, saying that it doesn't fit the same as the other 1-511 Last shoes. I think the padded insole was where the blame was eventually pinned. As for the sole, I think it works just fine as long as you want a rubber sole (it is actually AE's imitation of a Dainite sole), and has a clean profile.

Last edited:

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
After returning the Brooks 7 tan and linen spectators for poor fit and poor stitching on the front of the shoes, I made up for it in a big way this morning.

The Freeport store was able to locate for me new Player's shoes in my size in 1st quality in walnut and in chocolate suede. I had been tempted to try the snuff suede Neumoks, but after seeing the Player's shoe in suede earlier this week with the green laces in this thread,I was sold. I recently picked up the Player's in black calf from Nordstrom for $165 and was really impressed with them. This pricng isn't as nearly as good as that steal, but after applying Soul4Soles discounts I get two pairs of 1st quality Allen Edmonds for $384 in great looking models that I already know will fit me!

I can't wait to see them.

-------------------------------------------

Update - The email I received from the store indicated they were going to ship me the snuff instead of the bitter chocolate. Upon calling them about this mistake it looks like there never were chocolate Player's avaialble in my size in 1st quality. I've had bad luck with 2nds in the past, so I'm not sure what to expect, but worst case scenario I will return them if they arrive in unacceptable condition. If they work out and their failing is minor I'll have spent $336 for both pairs.

Frustrating after thinking that I had finally found a pair!

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So old fashioned, how do you people get yourselves to put on such shoes in the morning?

Old fashioned isn't exactly correct. Timeless is a better word. Take a look at any AE shoe, and over 90% of them have either been offered for decades on end, OR they have had a similar version made at some point in the past under a different style name. It's actually quite fun to scroll through and see the same shoes from 50 years ago also being offered 40 years ago... 30 years ago... 20... 10... now. You can do so here: http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs The point is, men's dress shoe styles haven't really changed much in the last century and a half. They look good now, and they will look good 20 years from now. It's a lot of fun putting money towards something that won't fall apart and be out of style in a couple of years.

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score
New arrival, a steal at $90:

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So old fashioned, how do you people get yourselves to put on such shoes in the morning?

I don't understand why you're here if that's what you think...
I'm only 23 and I think classic styles such as those that Allen Edmond's offers are extraordinary.

Last edited:

kcox68

Reaction score
I don't understand why you're here if that's what you think...
Couldn't agree more! This is something that seems to happen in several shoe appreciation threads. I suspect that a few members have developed a warped sense of loyalty/hatred to/of certain brands and feel morally obligated to force others to hear their views, regardless of how little they're wanted.

It's sort of like getting that knock on your door on a Sunday afternoon. When you open it to find two men in ill fitting suits, you know you're either going to have to be rude or listen to a very one sided discussion.

jvc44

Reaction score
I just bought a pair of fifth aves . The leather is pretty stiff , is this normal? Thanks for any help

TurboTropic

Reaction score

You said in the "Introduce Yourself" thread that you were on SF to improve your style. Welcome to the AE thread where you will surely do that.

Last edited:

mp906

Reaction score
Definitely a great price! What do you think of them so far from a quality/durability standpoint?

I got the $90 AMOK also...extremely narrow, narrower than the Strand by far. I even went from D to E and they still are very narrow. The suede is very thin. Time will tell how they hold up.

tampatravel

Reaction score

I'm assuming that you pull on rubber-soled, square toe, corrected grain, black shoes in the morning?

Plus, they're made in America - a nice bonus!

spitshine123

Reaction score
Quote:
I'm looking to pick up a boot also- how did you pick up the daltons for 90? Thats incredible!

elbastardocalvo

Reaction score

Definitely a great price!  What do you think of them so far from a quality/durability standpoint?

I just got them, so can't comment on durability. Quality wise, these are seconds, but like many seconds I've purchased I can't find any major flaws. They're fairly narrow, but given how unstructured they are I'm not too concerned. Bottom line, I'm happy with the purchase.

robbrechter

Reaction score
So I wasn't all that happy with my first Bourbon Strands so I ordered a second pair. Thankfully, I didn't send the first pair back (I thought it best to wait and see what the second pair looked like first). Here are each pair and then one of each side by side. The replacement pair looks a lot more Walnut than Bourbon. Thoughts on which everyone likes best? I'm leaning toward my original pair, despite my initial misgivings, simply because I'm not a huge fan of the lack of color depth in the second pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads