Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. althanis

althanis Senior member

Holy shit that's a lot of shoes.

2. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

I wear an 8.5 3E, and I feel that on my smaller, stubbier feet, any shoe that has a lot going on the front just tends to look too "busy" (Not really sure on the proper lingo for all the stuff going on). This would include the Strand (but not Sanford) and Mcallister/Cambridge. Is that just me being crazy?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

3. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

+1 thats impressive

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

No, you are not crazy at all. It definitely does depend on the proportions of the shoe. I have a pretty long foot, and the brogueing to me helps them look not so big. And I also find that with so much going on the shoes you mention, if the shoe is too short, then it all gets kind of squished together.

5. Thanks SF (a new me)

Thanks SF (a new me) Senior member

it is by Lodger...you can see it on the insole...

6. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Not at all. To counterbalance the width and shortness of your foot, consider combinations of: sleek lasts, chiseled or almond toes, no heavy brogueing, no wide toe caps, no short toe caps, and wingtips. Avoid wide toe caps with heavy brogueing and pinking, like on the Strand. Instead, look at stitch-caps with the toe cap set back far on the vamp, like the Johnston & Murphy Georgetown, the Crockett and Jones Hallam, or the Cheaney Walbrooke. Also can try narrow punch-caps on sleek lasts with delicate brogueing, as on the Cheaney Wardour or the C&J Westbourne. The sleekest and most lengthening will be austerity wingtips, like the Lodger above; followed by delicately brogued wingtips with no toe medallion, like the C&J Drummond; and plain toe balmorals, like the Alden 932 and 935 and the C&J Wembley. All of this applies to bluchers/derbies, too.

Dark colors will make the shoe look longer and narrower than it will in a light color. In general, dark colors somewhat counterbalance the widening effect of a toe cap.

7. dieselman89

Has anyone seen this video about the Independence Line?

My question is these guys design are represent some of the finest American shoes, why can't they get the fit of their suit down right? Sleeves are too long and their ties look terrible.

8. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

The Player's and Lombard both look great with chinos and nicer jeans.

9. dieselman89

Just got the Lombard, be aware these are a tight/narrow fitting last. I typically wear an 11D and went to a 10.5E.

10. jessetk313

jessetk313 Senior member

I am thinking of purchasing the Shell Cordovan Dalton boot in an 8.5E. Do you all think that this will make this boot like short and stubby?

11. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

Any AE's you would recommend in particular? So far I have the Lasalle, Clifton, and Fifth Ave. I think the Sanford would be nice.

It basically seems like a wingtip would usually be a problem, with the exception of maybe the Lombard (but its very narrow), Players or the Williams.

12. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

That wide width advice is ridiculous. You can wear whatever the fuck you want, and make it look good, if you have big enough balls to do so. The idea that a medallion toe will make your foot look out of proportion is baffling. Your foot already looks like it should be attached to Fred Flinstone's legs, some fucking brogueing isn't going to change that. Wear whatever you think looks cool and rock out with your cock out.

13. Barroomheroes

Barroomheroes Well-Known Member

Guys, Which Edge Dressing would you reccomend for Walnut Strands?

14. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Once again, i have heel issues on the Kenilworth, just having received them back from re-crafting. I think I'm going to give up on this shoe, it would be my 4th try, it is the only model out of my 5 pairs that has given me trouble. Hopefully my SA will just credit me the shoe so that i can get a different model. It is a sad day, as i was extremely fond of the mirror finish i worked painstakingly to achieve. :violin:

15. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Neutral edge dressing, it is a natural sole on the walnut Strands, the brown edge dressing will darken it slightly. Unless that is what you are trying to achieve.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.