Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thekosmicdesign

thekosmicdesign Active Member

I am thinking of getting a pair of chocolate Daltons. I'm fairly new to the SF world, and currently own a pair of PA's in black and a double monk in brown from Meermin.

1. I wear size 8D on the 5 last for the PA. These fit well. What size should I get for the Daltons? 8D?
    2. The PA and Strand are usually on sale in July at Nordstrom. Do the Daltons also go on sale a specific time of year? What is a good price to pay for them (firsts)?
    3. Do these boots pair well for both business casual and jeans? I am looking for a versatile boot.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. cuongduong

cuongduong Member

Here's my current collection
    [​IMG]

3. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

1. I have both shoes in the same size, and I think they are fine.

2. The only time I have seen them on sale was the anniversary sale, where everything was marked down. They seem pretty popular, so I would think retail is fair for firsts. But you could always wait and see what comes about.

3. I think they are pretty versatile, my pair is Burgundy Shell, but the chocolate should be fine for business casual.

4. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Beautiful collection!

5. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Someone on the Dappered forums apparently got a pair of shell Dundees.

6. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I got my Red & White Neumoks today. I couldn't be happier with them. They look amazing. I would not that when polojock615 posted pics of his orange & whites, he commented that the white leather was smooth. The white on my red & whites has a texture to it. Nonetheless, I am very happy with these. I can;t wait to sport them with my seersucker, jeans or whatever. Happy times.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. khe86

khe86 Senior member

For the brown RL Sanderson, is the AE brown polish appropriate?

8. LEgoiste

LEgoiste Senior member

Just me -- I wouldn't wear dark pants/jeans with walnut AE; dark gray or light navy would be as dark as I'd go.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

There is no walnut edge dressing. AE recommends the "natural" edge dressing for walnut shoes, but this has no pigment in it. I'm not even sure what purpose it serves.

I'm not sure what color you are going to get after using the sandpaper, but I know that the nicks and chips in the soles are very light beige. That is why I use the chili edge dressing for touch ups

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I tend to use Saphir cream in the same color as I'm using to polish the upper. It has enough pigment to clean up the marks in a manner that still leaves a little character. I guess you could use edge dressing or go darker, but you don't really need to in my opinion.

11. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Heard back last night from my contact at AE, she was following up today with our custom order request. Still no news yet.

Congrats and both great choices IMO!

The Saphir Mahogany is pretty light in the red range so if not using the Saphir Cordovan polish I'd think the Bordeaux #8 would be a better match.

Ordered mine about 3 weeks ago based on the color and finish of my black shell Dundee's. If it is any near as good as those I will be very pleased.
    Same here!! And can picture many of us in the same situation, myself included. But a really good woman would offer to help shine my shoes. Not that I have ever let anyone do that, once I trust her more then maybe....

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for linking this. It looks like it's not quite as simple as 1/8, as you'll notice two width markers encompassing E, while only one width marker to get to 2E or 3E. But it still might be a good general rule.

13. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

14. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Nice. Just ordered this very shoe from the shoebank today.

15. alvin545

alvin545 Member

Not familiar with posting pictures on forums, but let's see if this works:
    [​IMG]
    That's all I have for now; just dropped them off at the cobbler's to add a sole protector and won't get them back for a few days!

Nice collection! I hope to add a few more pairs myself; only have Chili Brooks Brothers MacNeil seconds from the recent sale and the brown Neumora seconds for now.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.