Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

To follow up, if the "...and grain upper..." was throwing you off.
    Just finished talking to somebody in the shoe bank and they guaranteed it's all calf leather. Apparently that "...and grain upper..." is leftover from a discontinued version of the loafers.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

2. sqroot3

sqroot3 Senior member

Thanks, guys! So you don't think the saphir cordovan polish will be too dark for the leather? i'm inclined to check out the saphir mahogany paste, as that seems pretty close in color (per kirby allison's page). but it is refreshing hearing these rave reviews about the cordovan shell polish proper.

but yeah, for right now, i will just be using reno + brushing.

3. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Great shoes, although those almost look chili in color.

Did you use the walnut AE polish? I know everyone likes to talk about the walnut polish darkening walnut leather . . .

4. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

So i got my orange and white Neumoks today. Oddly enough, the laces aren't long enough! I'm a 12EEE, so I think the standard 30-inch ones don't cut it. Anyone have preferences for longer laces? I'm looking for colored ones. Thanks!

5. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Contact AE customer service. I'm sure they'll hook you up with the correct laces at no charge.

If not, try the Nordstrom ones. They are 33'' long: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/1901-sh...extualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

6. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Do the new blue suede Strand webgems sway anyone? I've been staring at them off and on throughout the day thinking they could at least work with denim on Fridays. Yet again I have McTavish and Verona that could accomplish that mission just as well if not better without incurring a $295 charge. Yet I keep looking at them.

Perhaps I'm just feeling the urge to add some suede to my shoe rack. How versatile are the snuff suede Neumoks?

7. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Talk to the sizzle. I know he was having a snuff suede obsession recently.

8. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

They're very versatile. They handle reasonably well on pavement, asphalt, grass, dirt, wood, and many other surfaces.

Really, though, the Neumoks or McTavish might be a more appropriate/versatile choice with denim. I might consider the snuff (brown) suede if you're leaning towards Neumoks.

Edit: Way to beat me to it, donjuan!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013

9. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

Saw the Spring line up in person today, and I was actually surprised at how much I liked the Sapienza and the Franciscan. I was worried the Franciscan would look too square-toed, but I compared the Bel-Airs I had on to them, and the toe profile was nearly identical. The Sapienza in Bourbon was most surprising, as I thought it looked hideous online, but really liked them in person. They also have a really nice nubuck wing-tip coming out, which is not yet on the website. Unfortunately, IIRC, it is being offered in 3 funky colors (blue was the most conservative I recall) with a red brick sole. Still not sure there's anything from this season's lineup that will compel me to add to an already crowded rotation.

10. Factor Xll

Factor Xll Senior member

Anyone own the AE shoe racks? My collection is growing and I need to find a way to store 4 pairs of boots and 4 pairs of shoes. The bottom of my closet can no longer accommodate them without having them touching each other or the wall.

Any opinion on quality would be appreciated. Of course pictures would help too.

11. nicedream

nicedream Active Member

I'm in the same situation as you. 8.5D in the 5 last is fine in the heel, but tight in the toe. I tried the 8.5E and found it slightly loose in the heel, although it may work for you. I think that the EEE will be way too loose for you though.

One thing you might want to consider it going up to a 9 or 9.5 in a narrower width. 9.5 B is the best fit I have found for the Kenilworth (which is not made in C width).

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I would say invest is some nice looking Book shelve. Open floor shoe rack makes shoes dirty quickly. Specially shoes on the lower shelves.I am myself looking for a large book shelve with closing doors. I am finding it a bit hard to find bookshelf with wide shelve width.

13. polojock615

I own 7 racks and just ordered 7 more. I like them, but they're not worth $35 for AE-branded. They seem kinda flimsy when you pick them up, but are pretty solid when set up on the ground. I've got all 7 stacked on top of each other. I wear a 12 EEE, so I have to monkey with the shoes to get 4 pairs to fit. If you have a smaller foot, they should fit fine.

I ordered my first 7 for $70 when Jos A Bank had their big Christmas sale. They're exactly the same as the Woodlore/AE ones, only with a different medallion. Just ordered another 7 Woodlore-branded racks. I think they came out to $115 with a 20% off coupon, including shipping at holdnstorage.com. I got the large ones: http://www.holdnstorage.com/large_cedar_shoe_rack-wl_82001.htm . The code should pop up when you hit the website for the first time. When I get time I'll take some pics.

14. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Good to know! Thanks for getting back to me.

15. polojock615

I measured them. I got 28" white laces, but 33" orange laces. Weird.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.