Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

They do look narrow on him, but I can't pinpoint what exactly it is. He does have a gap between the laces, but the gap does not seem as big as other examples that we've seen on this thread. What are some other tell-tale factors?

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The current Webgem says order by 3/3 so I am hoping (with fingers crossed) that there is still hope. There has been a couple of times early on when Webgems started that they have had more than one major Webgem offer at the same time, especially when shell was involved. Would love to see several New Arrivals instead though. Several times the shell Webgems have sold out early due to demand. I was extremely lucky to get my walnut shell strands before they stopped taking orders. And nothing at all wrong with those brown shell Dundees. [​IMG]

Looking forward to Monday... damn that is something you don't hear every day! [​IMG]

3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Agreed. The stitching kills it.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Those look like chili grain Lamberts. Very good looking shoe. Chris

5. f1fan

f1fan Member

I just got my first pair of AEs - Brooks Brothers walnut strand. While I understand that, as factory seconds, they will have some cosmetic blemishes, I am concerned about the streaking that appears on the toe cap of each shoe and the cracks in the leather.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Is this the normal type of blemish one should expect from a factory second? Should I try to get a different pair, or just live with it? Would the AE walnut polish work to cover it up at all?

Thanks!

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Nice, I'll give both a try. Thank you.

All good advice. Too late on these Elgins as I've worn them out a few times, but I'll be sure to think hard about the fit of the McTavish when it arrives.

Thanks for this confirmation. I'll wear these McTavishes around the house a bit and see if I have the same experience. I'm actually surprised 8E was wide enough. Were you able to compare with 8EE or 8EEE?

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

At least on the toes, those look more like minor cosmetic scratches then a problem with the leather dying process. I think they could be fixed with polish. Not sure about the sides; it's hard to tell from the photos.

8. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

The Fairfax was one of the best looking shoes Allen Edmonds ever made. Extremely comfortable too. I have 'em in black, chestnut, and merlot. I posted this photo some time ago in another thread, but reposting it here.

CH

[​IMG]

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Clean and polish.

10. catlettsl

catlettsl Senior member

Do yall mean they look tight or just a narrow shoe? They felt very comfy even with athletic socks on.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

11. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I'm curious, how much is a discount on the seconds shoes? I ask because I would want to weigh the value vs. the minor blemishes. Thanks!

12. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

It depends on the shoe I believe.
    The AE Patriot loafer seconds i'm considering for instance are regualrly priced at $350~ and seconds would be $269.
    Combine this with the S4S promo and it goes down to $234.

Call the Shoe Bank and ask for your interests. (Somebody else can chime in with the number. sizzle??)

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  13. Ketawa

Ketawa Senior member

I'm looking for a potential alternative to Park Avenues for a black cap-toe oxford. I measure 13.5C/13C left/right foot on a Brannock device, so I'm tricky to fit. I can kind of wear a 13C on the 5 and 8 lasts.

Can anyone speak to the quality of the Loake 1880 Rothschild? I haven't been able to find anything on SF about it. According to their size chart, their 13 UK is about a 13.5 US. It also comes in a UK E width, which is narrower than normal. I also like the placement of the toe cap a little better. Link: http://www.loake.co.uk/rothschild.html

ETA: Of course, Wikipedia claims that UK shoe sizes are typically 1 whole size difference from US. Who to believe?

14. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

BTW. Just found this Reddit thread. This quote in particular makes me LOVE Grangaard a million times more.

Q: Allen Edmonds is constantly praised for their range of beautiful shoe styles. However, like most shoemakers, you have to cater to those who may not appreciate those styles. If there was one AE shoe that you could get rid of, both stop selling it, and stop the style among all shoemakers, which style/shoe would it be?

Grangaard Answer: Au contraire, Pierre, that's an easy question... The square bicycle toe slip-on in cheap corrected leather with an obviously rubber sole. We don't make it, but the guy in a nice suit across the aisle from me on the plane yesterday was wearing it. It looked bad, really bad, and totally inconsistent with the rest of his effort. It's like a great golfer with the putting yips -- you don't win tournaments with a bad case of the yips.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Grangaard is the man. BTW, didn't know he went to Stanford and UChicago Business School...sharp guy.[/FONT]

15. ckprax

ckprax Well-Known Member

They appear narrow because the quarters of the shoe should be much closer together; you have a wide (3/4-1") V, a width wider would greatly reduce this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.