Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Thanks again for following up on the possibility of bringing the Soho or Evanston back from the dead! :) Those Leeds look amazing!

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Well its well known around here that the cap on most of their shoes are a bit pushed forward, more than the majority's personal liking. For me, I think the Park Ave is the most forgiving, but something like the 5th Ave is just out of the question, it looks terrible IMO.

So i'm not trying to debate, but coming from your exact position 3 months ago, I ventured out and found an amazing pair of black cap toes, Magnanni Mateo. No brogueing, which I don't think looks fitting on a black shoe anyways. Sleek, comfortable, made just as good as AE, and $210 from Nordstroms Rack. Just a thought... as loyal as I have been to AE, and as much as I thoroughly enjoy the entire process from trying AE shoes on to walking out the door and giving them a good polish, if I don't fall in love with the shoe, I'm not buying it.

3. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

I like Zoe's Venetian Shoe Cream. It's been around for over 50 years or so. Leaves a nice shine, and I've never had it change the color on even tans, chestnut, and walnut. It costs a fraction of Saphir. Small bottles are about $8, but I bought a quart for $14 from a country club supply company.

4. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I wondered what that was included with my shoes.

I thought it might be cleaner\conditioner but I wasn't sure what ZOE's meant.

I've always been using Saphir.

Thanks,

Dan

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013

5. Close Hoarse

Close Hoarse Senior member

Nick Horween recommends it. His opinion is much better than mine. Suggest you Google it.
    I give a new pair of shoes a good treatment with it before I ever venture out the door.

Enjoy your new AEs, and thank you for your business.

CH

6. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

The pair of Brooks 7 tan/linen spectators came in today.

Unfortunately they don't fit! In dress socks my heels nearly flop out of them with every step. In gym socks, the fit is much better, but ultimately they will loosen with wear & break-in.

I wore my dark brown strands in the same size earlier this week and noticed I was swimming in the shoes. All of the sudden I'm nervous that the new McAllister's I ordered in my regular (5-last dress shoe) size wont fit.

I've lost >45lbs in the last 6 months, so its conceivable that I need to go down 1/2 a size ( I had to go down 1/2 size McTavish and Verona, and Neumok needed the same when I tried them on but did not buy).

Definitely have to send them back, but I may want to wait before reordering to see how the McAllister's fit; that way I can better asses if my shoe size did go down, or it's just an issue of Last shape.

I wore my new black calf Player's today in my regular size and they were NOT loose. Heel felt nice and tight, but my pinky toes were hurting by early - afternoon; the last is extremely narrow, much more so than anything else in my closet.

7. Leather

Leather Senior member

Just bought a pair of Park Avenues. They are my first pair of AEs. Problem is, the heelcup on the left shoe is significantly higher (half inch or so) than the right shoe, and it digs into my left ankle as a result. Is this normal and just a variation from production or is it a defect?

8. md2010

md2010 Senior member

I just polished my burnished brown bb fifth ave first time. A lot of black residue of burnishing came off. The shoes now looks noticeably lighter. I really wished the fifth ave stays darker than my fift st boots. How can I darken my fift ave and still keep the burnishing ?
    I think my fift st boot most dark burnishing now vanished.

9. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I'm actually looking to buy some Park Avenues. Keep us posted on this problem.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

A half inch????

No - it is not normal.

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Sounds like a defect to me. Are they seconds?

12. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

15 to 20 pairs is about right. :nodding:

13. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Definitely not normal. My first Strands (seconds) had the same issue. I had them exchanged.

14. RDSChicago

RDSChicago New Member

Fantastic deal on shearling coats. Bought two today! $1,795 retail on sale for $718!!!

15. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Wow! AE is actually updating their website. I've never actually caught them mid-process. I wonder if we're going to see new models or a site redesign. In my opinion, either would be a great plus.

This is what I saw:
    http://allenedmonds.com/srvrdn-2011.jpg

Look at the end date on that jpg. I guess it's been a while since they needed a new "server down" graphic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.