Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Very very nice. Are those burnished brown strands? The pics are pretty dark, can't tell if they are cordovan or not, the shine looks great on them.

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

So are you saying that you think Saphir is or isn't worth paying exponentially more money for? [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Oh no, its definitely worth it. I just went through 3/4 of the jar in 2 months haha. Granted, I used it on two shell pairs I sold, and I did my shell strands a couple times to get the original polish off of them. At the end of the day, the whole jar is probably good for 15-20 runs... so spending a little over $1 for each pair is still well well worth it IMO.

AE is a good back up

4. fiestaplatypus

fiestaplatypus Senior member

If you're only getting 15-20 shoes out of a jar then chances are you are probably using way too much each time...especially if some of those were shell. I have size 12 and 13 shoes and have probably gotten at least 30 or so uses out of my most recent jar so far, with about 1/2 of it remaining.

5. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

After doing 8 pairs of shoes so far, I can barely tell the jar I have been using apart from the unopened one.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

These. I think you are supposed to use this very sparingly.

I have both Saphir Reno and the AE cleaner/conditioner (as well as Venetian Shoe Cream), and I've been experimenting with all three. I always start with just a tiny amount, so you can barely see the haze. That in itself does a noticeable job moisturizing the shoes.

I maybe use a little more with the AE cleaner, but that's because I'm actively pulling off dirt. But still a small, small amount.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If this is any help, I wear the same size in Kenwoods (800 last) as my Strands, Fifth Streets, and Cambridges (5 Last).

8. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

I basically shake the jar up a little bit and i use whatever sticks to the cap, lightly dip the AE dauber in that, and do the entire shoe in about 5 sections. First I start with the cap, then the vamp, sides, and finally the back. Maybe my inventory level is a little off and i have more than i thought, but i know i don't use much at all. i'll inspect once i get home and see what is left.

I know using the dauber uses a little more as well. I had probably 1/4 teaspoon on the cap and i was able to get almost full coverage as I was touching up my neumora's with a cotton cloth, no dauber. I was able to spread so little so much more...

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  9. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I am reminded of this gem from one of the elder gods of the forum:

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Does anyone have AE golf shoes? Any feedback?

My bday is in April and i'm thinking about putting AE GC's on the list that way I can get a pair. I know I don't need them, however I really don't have much else from AE i want at the moment, and it will be a pretty cool "extra" to have for golf.

I am thinking between the Medalist and the Double Eagle. Both are sharp looking, I prefer the Medalist (white/brown) however the brown Double Eagles might be a better idea since they are mesh and will breath better.

Thoughts?

11. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

I wear the same size in my Fifth Avenues as in the Yumas (that I got from Cold Iron - thanks again!).

12. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

I shined up my Kenilworth's a bit. I know it's not as good as some of the pictures posted but it was my very first time polishing my shoes myself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PS. These shoes sure took some time to break in but now they good to go.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Heard back from the AE rep and it will be several more days before we will know if they will bring back shoes from the dead for us. So not a lost cause yet, hopefully by the end of the week we will hear something and I will post as soon as I do know. Speaking of group buys got my brown shell Leeds with natural welt today. Only a quick brush so far need to give some love to them when I get some free time from work, which isn't easy right now:

[​IMG]

Totally Agree!!! And congrats Michael!

The AE rep said the new catalog should be in the stores this week so hope we will know a little bit more soon in that area also. Although I think Chris and a few others have already had a sneak peak. I can think of several options that would be a must have for me, but time will tell. Good luck on your quest [​IMG]

Your welcome Septimus and glad they worked for you. It was a customer supplied grey scale picture that caused me to get them in the first place. I am such a sucker for an AyA SxS especially in 20 ga. It was my downfall....

[​IMG]

14. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I should have paid attention more when it was discussed in the past but I'm in the market for my first pair of black oxford cap toes.
    I was thinking of going with Park Avenues.
    Any other suggestions?
    (It will definitively be from AE so no debates please)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.