Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

Check back some pages, someone posted pics when they received their order. Evidently, the online pics look better than the real thing...

2. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Received my Bradley Shells today. $260 (250 + 10 for tax) for first quality shells. This is my first pair of shoes in the 1 last. They fit pretty good. I also have a pair of the wingtip walnut shell boots on order and they are on the same last.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  3. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Awesome! Glad AE stood by their price for you, and glad they fit. In my experience the Bradleys on the 1 last are a bit more snug than other 1 last shoes and boots. This is due to the NST stitching.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  4. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

Allen Edmonds service is second to none, in my book.

I received a pair of the Bradley shells at the steep discount mentioned by Pastor above, and wore them for a few hours before realizing they did not fit well and actually hurt my toes. I put them up for sale here and also shot an e-mail to AE to see what they can offer, if anything (not expecting much since they were worn). I received an e-mail today telling me to return the shoes for a full refund, accompanied by a pre-paid UPS label. :slayer:

Allen Edmonds is a great company, in my eyes.

5. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

The ones I got were a 9.5 E as well. I hate they didn't wok for you. Hoping those cordovan dalton boots fit just as good.

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Okay so I went out and exchanged the generic brand brown leather shoe cream for AE walnut shoe polish. But now I am concerned after searching about the differences between shoe cream and polish. Will polish make my shoes too shiny where they wont look good with jeans (i'll mostly be wearing my strands with jeans)? Do I need to make another exchange for the shoe cream? Or can I just use the polish sparingly to avoid getting it too shiny? What to do?

7. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I use normal polish and they don't get super shiny. The brown may change the color of your shoes slightly.

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Yep I returned the brown for AE walnut shoe polish. Just now confused if im better off with a walnut shoe cream or shoe polish? How much more shiny do shoes get with shoe polish as opposed to shoe cream?

9. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

I've never used the cream - only the wax based polish. All I can tell you, is, with the wax, I can get anything from a mirror shine down to just a very low shine.

10. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

I am really enjoying my Bayfields. They took very little breaking in and have turned out to be more comfortable and well fitting than I had imagined. The chromexcel is fantastic stuff.

11. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

You will need to do a few things, 1. go to an experienced shoeman and get your foot measured for length and width i.e. 11D, 10.5E.... AE makes theirs shoes based on widths which is very important. 2. AE also makes shoes on different "lasts" which basically means some of the shoes are more snug than others since the shape is of the shoe different. You will need to find a last that works for you. I suggest visiting Nordstrom if you want to see AE shoes.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  12. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

Very cool catalog, the Fifth Ave. look very similar.

13. Karl_in_Chicago

Karl_in_Chicago Well-Known Member

Agreed. They were really comfortable right out of the box and continue to be so. No problem with wearing them for 16+ hours, very easy to care for (that CXL is great), and they look great (IMO).

14. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

The finishing on the shoes you pointed out are far above today's models--I assume it is due to cost but it is somewhat sad to see such cool specimens from 50 years ago and realize you can't get it today from the same maker. At least AE and Alden are still around but today's finishing (from both makers), although very wearable lacks the panache from back then to some extent. It would be interesting to see Aldens from back then. J&M made some fine specimens as well--you can see them pop up on ebay from time to time and they are stunning.

15. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

What are people's opinions on wholecuts? They seem to be more of an "old school" shoe, but have a very simple, yet elegant look to them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.