Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evolved

evolved Senior member

I would be in for that, depending on the cost, of course. My preference would be for a black Soho, but a bourbon Soho would be gorgeous, as well.

2. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I'd likely be in for either the Evanston or the Soho in bourbon if the price was right.

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have a feeling that 10 people for this one will not be a problem so sent an email to find out if it is even possible. When I can get details will post them, starting with if it is even a possibility.

This is really good advice IMO and true for me too. Although I will wear walnut shell with grey because it is darker than calf walnut. I know not everyone wears suits and I wear suits a lot less each year, but it is something to keep in mind if you do.

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

So I'm really getting the itch to get more casual shoes to slowly knock sneakers completely out of my rotation. I'm a 31-year-old Software Engineer at an extremely casual company, so my Elgins are already really "fancy" by most standards. I already scored the Tan Elgin, which I love, and I have the Cognac McTavish and Brown Harbour on the way. I'm trying to decide between the following seconds: Tan Finch, Tan/Navy Finch, and Brooks Brothers Walnut/Brown Shelton. The Finches are closeout at $179, and the Sheltons are $199. Then again, $35 off for Soles4Souls might bring the Sheltons (non-closeout) to $164.

First, I'm unsure exactly the differences between these shoes. It looks like they're all on the 1-511 last, but I'm unsure of the actual differences regarding leather, soles, etc. I'm assuming the Brooks Brothers angle throws things off, as well.

Second, I'm trying to decide which color I prefer. The Tan Finch look awesome, but I worry they're too close to my Tan Elgin, color-wise. The Tan/Navy Finch look cool, but I'm worried they're more of a statement than I'm comfortable making; but maybe I shouldn't be so concerned about that. The Walnut/Brown Sheltons are maybe a tad in between because they still have some contrast. Any thoughts on "wearability" would be appreciated.

Finally, I'm unsure on which size to try with this last. I have 8.5D Strands and 8.5D Elgins. I tried 8.0D McTavishes and they were too narrow, which is why I got 8.5D Elgins and have 8.5D McTavishes on the way. As previously discussed, the 8.5D Neumoks I tried looked, confusingly, both too narrow and too long. Would y'all suggest starting with 8.5D on the 1-511 last, or is there a consensus "start half a size down" sort of rule I should start with?

Thanks for the continued help growing my collection.

5. nickurfe23

nickurfe23 New Member

Of the 5 last, I have the Strand, McTavish, Kiowa, Neumok, and Black Hills in 8.5D. They're all a perfect fit for me. No uncomfortable break-in period, etc. This past fall I broke away from the 5 last and picked up the Long Branch (1 last), also in 8.5D. No fit issues there, either. They're comfortably snug with thick socks and have been a great winter boot. I don't have any experience with other shoes on the 1 last and can't comment on how they compare to the Long Branch, but I imagine 8.5D would be a safe bet. Hope that helps.

6. zchen

zchen Senior member

Shelton is double oak sole and calfskin, Finch is single sole and waxy leather. I measure right between 7D/E on brannock and usually find 7E in 1 last the most comfortable for balmorals such as Shelton (5 last I go 6.5E). I say since you own a few rough collection shoes already why not go for the calfskin Sheltons

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013

7. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

I'm in for a Soho in black or dark brown.

8. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

In case anyone changed his mind, I'm still actively on the hunt for tan RL Sanderson in a size 7D.

As far as the group-buy/MTO, why has nobody considered seeing if we can do a suede shoe, like a McAllister or Strand. Yes, it's available as a custom option, but I think either of them would look great in a snuff suede, which isn't offered.

9. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I like the idea of a suede balmoral. First choice would be bitter chocolate, but I would take snuff as well. I think I would prefer the strand to the McAllister, as I already have a wingtip in suede (Player's shoe, though it is a blucher).

10. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I mentioned the snuff suede because it's not offered, whereas the chocolate is an available option, but I'm pretty open. The same goes for my preference of the McAllister over the Strand. I just threw them out there as fodder for discussion.

11. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

I would be in for a suede balmoral...what about a park avenue?

12. maxmaxmaxmax

maxmaxmaxmax Active Member

Thanks very much to you, Sizzle, and Kentyman, for the great pics. They were helpful as I chose and waited for my bourbon Strands. I received the shoes yesterday and they are beautiful. I'm now up to three AE's: burnished brown Fifth Avenues, black Park Avenues and bourbon Strands. Now to decide what's next. Merlot McAllisters, perhaps? J

13. ddgdl

ddgdl Well-Known Member

Hmm...I have a pair of bourbon strand seconds coming in the mail as I write this...I wonder if I'm getting thesizzle's pair?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

14. robbrechter

robbrechter Well-Known Member

Just got a pair of Bourbon Strand seconds delivered to my door. First thing I did was check them out and they definitely have some issues. Aside from some small discolorations (which I can live with), I see these marks in the leather. There's also a bit of weirdness going on in the brogueing in that area. Wondering if it's worth sending them back over? I had to wait a good amount of time for them to come in and I don't even know if they'll have a replacement pair. Does anyone have any experience with the Shoe Bank regarding situations like this if I were to want to send them back for a different pair?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Thoughts?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013

15. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Wearing my recently re-crafted walnut Evanstons today. Really hoping we can get this or the Soho custom ordered for us!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.