Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karl Drogo

Karl Drogo Active Member

After absorbing some of the advice in the links provided above, I applied the new knowledge and skills towards further polishing of my pair of Allen Edmonds Park Avenue.

This time, I used miniscule amounts of polish and miniscule amounts of saliva per coat, instead of gobs of each like I did to achieve the shine seen in the first post-polishing photo above. After one thin coat on the majority of the shoe and about five or six thin coats on the toe caps, I finally have a ridiculously reflective shine. The toe caps in particular resemble the light-reflecting qualities found in patent leather.

I couldn't decide which photo below I liked better but I tried to replicate the first post-polishing photo above in terms of lighting, exposure, and angle for a close comparison.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

Agreed. I've been in there a few times, most recently to drop off a pair for recrafting and my experience has been awesome.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013

3. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Thanks guys. This is an outlet/Shoes bank sales only. I was on the email list so I got the notification. I called my SA and asked him to email me the list of belts in my size (there were almost 100 LOL). Spent some time going through them and picked these 4.

4. hybrid

hybrid Member

Recently shoes were 25% off, and then they had $50 off any purchase over $300. Scored a set of Nathans (Fifth Avenues), a tie rack, and a few accessories for $225.

5. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Thanks to some good Bourbon, I found my defenses lowered and decided to order the Brooks 7 after all. In less than a week I will know whether this was done in sound judgement or not.. With any luck, pics will follow.

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I understand the recommendations because of the picture, but how do we reconcile the fact that my Strands fit perfectly and if anything my Elgins are a touch big?

And then here's an example of people claiming Neumok run big, not small.

7. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Just because the shoes are one the same last don't mean they will fit the same, it also depends on the type of leather used. Case in point: the McTavish fits larger than the other calf shoes on the same 5 last.

The Neumok defintely fits narrower and a bit longer than something like the Strand based on my experience. This is mainly due to the thicker leather used I think. You might want to size down and go up in width.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I've read this before, but this just seems so weird.I mean no matter the leather used, the leather is put on top of and constructed around the same last when the shoe is made.

9. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Some leathers are able to wrap the last in a tighter manner, making less room inside the finished shoe, and some leathers are more flexible, allowing for a more forgiving fit. Off the top of my head, those are just two issues that could come up.

10. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I knew there had to be a reason for it, I just couldn't come up with it off the top of my head.

This makes sense, thanks.

11. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

I just mean "SA" refers to a person at Allen Edmonds, not a person here. No SA here cna put you on an AE mailing list.

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I decided to give my walnut strands a little love today, and I have to say they never cease pleasing me.

[​IMG]

13. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

Hey dude. Go easy on yourself. Just pick up some Saphir and your mirror coats will come much easier.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Are you talking to me? For casual shoes like those, I'm not a fan of the mirror coat. That's just how I like them.

Side note: Look at the lids on those jars when you feel like making such a suggestion.

15. Karl Drogo

Karl Drogo Active Member

Holy cow, awesome job on those walnut Strands. They almost look like wood.

This past weekend I used Moneysworth & Best Brillo shoe cream (like the tube pictured below, except in neutral) on my pair and it did absolutely nothing for the shine. What a waste of time and money. Lesson learned: While the Moneysworth & Best black shoe polish was great on my black Park Avenues, I'll probably have to find something else for my walnut Strands.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.