Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

3. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Hey Sizzle, Those Brooks wingtips look absolutely phenomenal. Even though I missed the big 2nd's sale, and just bought 4 new pair of AE's this week, including 2 pairs of wingtips, one being McAllisters in Walnut, I am still tempted to acquire those Brooks wingtips as well. Do you know what Last they are on and can you provide any comparison on sizing versus other AE shoes? Have you identified what factors deemed these to be 2nd quality? Thanks.

4. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Thanks!

As far as I know, they're made on the 5-last 4-last, but since they have the kilt lacing, they fit a bit looser over the top of the foot. I bought the same size as any other off that last, but I'll say they felt just a little bit looser. The only part that needed any breaking in was the sole, but that took no time. They're incredibly comfortable.

If you grab them, you might want to have a cobbler stitch one side of the tongue to the upper (discretely) to keep it from sliding to one side.

As far as the flaw, the only thing I could spot on these was that the burnishing on the tongue was a bit dark on one side of one shoe, but it's under the eyelets by quite a margin. Though, with how slight that is, I'm not sure that even counts. I really looked them over thoroughly and could find only that.

Even though you have wingtips, these are far from similar to anything else I bet you picked up. First of all, they're spectators. They're also a bit more squared in the toe (mainly the sole), and the lacing is unique (kilt and tassels).

Edit: Apparently, unlike other AE for BB shoes, these are on the 4-last, which makes sense since the toe is squared off a bit more.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yeah, my concern is with how that lining meets the unlined portions and leaves these shoes with a funny shape. Here's what they look like when they're on.

[​IMG]

You can see my feet leaving a round bump in the unlined portion, and then there's a very unsmooth transition to the toe box. They just look awkward. Is this just a problem with this pair, or is it true of all Neumoks?

6. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Are these a little too narrow for you? You seem to bulge where the ball of your feet are.

7. delmar

delmar Senior member

Something I'll add now that I've had a few days to wear both pairs, the olive and football Neumoks is that the football pair fit just a tad bit looser than the olive pair.

8. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

They sure look like they're too narrow, but they actually feel pretty good. They're 8.5D just like my Strands and Elgins. I think they just appear too narrow because of the strange bumpiness. Actually, the left shoe may actually be a little narrower than the right, as I cannot lace them as tight.

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Is this because it's thicker leather?

10. md2010

md2010 Senior member

They are too narrow for you. They look stuffed. The toes on your left foot are full on hanging out. Even if you feel they feel good a incorrect fit is still a incorrect fit. Its like wearing your high school clothing's. Some items you still maybe get into ....but it doesn't meant you should wear it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  11. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

Those are *way* too narrow for you, and probably a bit too long as well. Your foot shouldn't be distorting the sides of the shoe like that at all. Larger width shoes, on average among brands, are 3/16" larger for each extra width. Your toes are also being wedged in there, so you're not getting an accurate fit on the length. By going wider, you'll accomodate the ball of your foot, but your toes will possibly have too much room. Judging from the picture, if those are size D widths, I would strongly suggest sizing up the width, possibly all the way up to EEE, and down maybe a half size or a full in length, depending on how much toe room you have. Remember, AE has free both-way shipping on online sales, so you can experiment.

12. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

I called the Shoe Bank, and they indicated that they are on a different last, probably the 4 or at least something similar to it. It was confirmed for me that they qualify for full recrafting service. At $199, they are tempting.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Well, I'm not prepared to go as far as the other posters based on one photo. I will say that the fit looks to be off.

14. Variatio

Variatio Well-Known Member

Seconded, absolutely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.