Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

The Nathan is on the 8 last.

The Boardroom has historically been on the 7 last. I've tried it on. Perhaps they switched it up though .....

2. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Some scores for the week!

I decided I needed another pair of Walnut oxfords to complement the Walnut Strands I bought over the summer.

I ordered a pair of Walnut McAllisters from the new Philadelphia store by taking advantage of their 15% special (yes I am a local resident) and a $35 recrafting coupon, the shoes cost me only $258! I decided to throw in a box of assorted color laces too to experiment with the rest of my shoes..

This evening I ventured out to Nordstrom just to browse and maybe buy some Brown Neumoks or maybe even Verona loafers, etc. They didnt have either in my size. As I'm walking out to leave, I spot a pair of Black Player's shoes on the clearance rack. In my size no less and marked down to $167.00!!!! SCORE!!!! I needed another dress oxford in black that I could wear instead of my Black Park Avenues or Black Cliftons. The Players fit like a glove! Wish I could still get these in Walnut too. I saw these exact shoes a few weeks ago on clearance for $220 but passed on them in favor of a pair of McTavish in Black for more casual occasions. Now I have both and saved another $50 in the process!

Not to be greedy but I'm still tempted to pick up another pair to take advantage of 25% off (15% off at the store + another $35 recraft coupon). Neumok would be a shoe I would wear with Jeans or chinos, maybe on casual Fridays or on a night out. My Black McTavish shoes currently fit this role.

I've never owned a pair of loafers before, so I'm unsure of the Verona, but it looked beautiful and felt great ( just needed another 1/2 size down). How would you optimally wear this shoe and how would you handicap the Black vs Brown decision?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Wow, that's a lot of black shoes. Loafers are inherently casual, so a black loafer is kind of a juxtaposition (Black = formal, loafer = casual). You seem to have a lot of black though, so if it fits your wardrobe...

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

4. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Not really. If I'm wearing black shoes, I usually wear the Clifton's. I try to keep the Black Park Ave's out of rotation as much as possible and thus rarely wear them due to their formality. The Player's in black will give me another blucher to wear. The Clifton's are several years old, and not as comfortable since their last recrafting so the Player's really are a timely addition to the closet.

In Brown's, I have:

Park Avenue in Brown Antibes - these are gorgeous!
    Strand in Dark Brown Burnished - These are perhaps my favorite shoes
    Strand in Walnut
    McAllister in Walnut (coming soon)
    Clifton in Burgundy

I can see the Verona being used to dress up denim, and giving me a "modern" option when I want to eschew wingtips.

5. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Quote:No . . . suede is awesome all the time.

6. wdahab

wdahab Senior member

I have the 744s, the heel is definitely a bit high, but I put a half sole on them and it's perfect. The height seems to be extra rubber on the sole, so they'll take longer to wear. AE's usually have wayyyy too thin of a rubber heel, I wear through them like crazy. I also beat the shit out of my 744s (they look amazing at this point).

7. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Pics, pics, we want pics.

8. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

9. buckeyefan

buckeyefan Member

The spring line is hitting and the fall line has been verified.

10. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

when will the cappuccino shell be available?

11. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Not soon enough

12. cdmcallister

cdmcallister Well-Known Member

1st post, quick question about the shoe bank. Do they always have seconds available or do they stock up and make an announcement about "sales"?

When they send you a list of the shoes they have available in a specific size, is the "retail price"listed on the spreadsheet the actual price now or is there an even deeper discount? I had them send me a list of seconds and closeouts a couple of weeks ago but I'll have to have them do it again as I wasn't able to pull the trigger (haven't been able to get to a AE store to verify sizing).

Love this thread although it took me a week and a half to get through the 1000+ pages.

Just starting to build a business casual wardrobe and daddy needs some new shoes!

13. lostron

lostron Senior member

On that same note, are there any outlet sales going on?

14. uunngghh

uunngghh Member

A SA confirmed that the Soles4Souls promo works for 2nds. Donate a pair of any used shoes and get $35 off any pair of Allen Edmonds, including seconds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.