1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Because you'll look like a walking briuse.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  2. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

Michael all I wear is the black shoes, its only recently that I started to consider non-black. What is the quality like of Allen Edmonds shirts?

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

[​IMG]

That's the exact description my wife uses! She was the only person I had ever heard say that.

I don't have a dog in this fight, personally, however.

1 person likes this.
  4. jbcohen

What do you think of Allen Edmonds shirts?

5. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

You guys in the States are lucky with all the factory outlets and second deals floating around. No excuse not to have a few pairs of variety. hrmm I need to sweet talk someone at AE into exporting me some of those seconds :p

6. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Black finishes disguise the beauty of the leather, and black shoes are a less flexible wardrobe element. I don't own a proper pair of black shoes and have been debating whether my next purchase would the a pair of Graysons, Manchesters, or Jermyns in that color. I then realized (a) that all of these shoes look much better in merlot, (b) I would get far more use of any of these shoes in merlot, and (c) my old Florsheim wingtips in Merlot and older leather-soled army "oxfords" (i.e. bluchers) in black covered all of my conservative bases. If I had to wear dark suits more regularly, I'd probably buy the 5th Avenues in black--but I don't. (Inexplicably, I am drawn to the Dundees in black, but they are so expensive that neither I nor my wife have to worry about me giving into temptation.)

7. GreenVelvet

GreenVelvet New Member

Hi, I just received a pair of chocolate suede RL saunders from shoebank and don't notice any flaws, but I have a concern after trying it on. The heel doesn't seem to lay flat on the floor when I put it on, kinda gives a rocking chair feel, is this normal for a pair of chukka?

Also the shoes are snug fit when I don't wear socks and a little tight when wearing thin dress socks, will it stretch out after a few wears? Don't really wear shoes without socks all too much.

Thanks in advance!

8. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

9. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have some AE corrected grain shoes (I believe they used the term "polished cobbler") I purchased in the 1990's and they look great. I don't have a problem with corrected grain - granted it might not have the depth and character of the regular calf, but it still looks good in my opinion. I don't feel bad about wearing my corrected grain AE's - I don't look at them as lesser shoes.

Chris

10. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

The simple answer is that there are many shades of brown and only one shade of black.

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

The above two are correct that the general consensus for conservative business dress is black shoes with Navy suit.

I think the idea is that, just like white dress shirts, black shoes should only be worn in formal settings, i.e., with a suit. That is the reason I would not wear black shoes with grey pants. I definitely would not wear with navy as I try not to wear navy and black together and brown and black together.

Regarding your last comment, the general consensus in Men's Clothing on SF is that if you wear a tie you must be wearing some sort of jacket. Some may find a sweater over a tie with no jacket acceptable.

12. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

I have seen and touched them in person and they do look and feel quite nice -- much nicer than a lot of cheap shirts. Another potentially positive thing is that they're made in the US rather than some third world country.

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

A man after my own heart.... Sat on the deck last night with the air rifle waiting for a tree rat to come by so I could throw him on the grill for supper. I walk ever chance I get and during hunting season out walk those half my age.

Prioritization as stated by several others is the answer. I do pretty well but am on salary so work on the side to pick up additional money for shoes and other hobbies. To me it is worth the extra time and effort.
    [​IMG] Me too and I totally agree with you Chris.

14. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

In a loafer mode this week. Burgundy shell Randolphs today.

[​IMG]

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Rough start to the morning. As I was opening the door to my office, the lid came off of my coffee and spilled over my right shoe (chili colored Stafford boots - it's storming in Baton Rouge today). I did what I could at the office, cleaning it with dish soap and water. After drying, it is considerably darker now than my left shoe. I would appreciate any tips from the gurus in this thread about how to properly remedy this situation.

Much obliged...

16. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

That same storm is killing my leather soles right now.

17. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Spill coffee on the other shoe?

(Sorry, I've got no practical advice, but good luck!)

18. jbcohen

My father always told me to fight fire with fire so maybe that is why I got thrown out of the fire brigade.

19. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

E just called me to advise that my "Paul Grangaard" MTO is shipping today. I confirmed the order on May 1st. That's damn quick. Should have photos up next week.

1 person likes this.
  20. jbcohen

Outside a dog a book is a man's best friend, inside a dog its too dark to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.