Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I have the 744, not the Krause, but I have noticed the same thing. It feels like the heel is higher than you would expect. I think that's just the way the boots are designed to be.

And actually, comparing to a couple other boots I have from other brands, it does have a taller heel.

2. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Why wait until Fall to release more suede? Why, Allen Edmonds, Why!!!???

[​IMG]

3. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

What is so wrong about suede, wholecuts, grain leather and single monks? These are all classic styles/materials that can be pretty versatile if executed correctly. Why are you being so pessimistic before seeing any pictures?

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

Isn't suede typically a fall/winter material?

5. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

When I get home this evening, I shall burn Kiwi polish as incense and sacrifice a pair of beat-up Rockports on the altar of quality mens' footwear in hopes that at least one or two of the above might be released on size chart #1, maybe on the 4 last with a bit of chisel to the toe... yeah, that'd be great.

6. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

Suede has its place, but i find it extremely limited in its versatility. Plus I prefer sleeker suede shoes, and the 5 last ain't gonna get it done.

Wholecuts I have zero interest in. I don't like fully plain toes, and if I were to buy a wholecut, it would be black, and I hate black shoes, so its of no use to me.

grain leather...I'm not a country squire from the UK...no use.

single monks, fine, but meh.

What they should do, is some bloody oxfords on the excellent 8 last. Enough bluchers and stubby PAs, give me something like a clifton in oxford form and I'd buy one tomorrow.

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

You can do better from Allaboutshoes on this forum. The wait may be longer though.

My thoughts on this are that it won't be a good comparison, because if you have a high instep, then the boot will be more forgiving than the shoe in the same last.

That's what I am thinking too.

I find them very versatile.

I wear mine all year round.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

8. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

there's more than one balmoral on the 8 last:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/141581/allen-edmonds-appreciation-thread/9350_50#post_5718432

the Nathan (punched captoe bal, just like the "clifton in oxford form" you requested) is available from JAB here: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Product_11001_10050_299318

9. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I don't typically think of suede having a season, at least as far as men's shoes go. I also find suede bucks to be one of the quintessential summer shoes.

10. Quadcammer

Quadcammer Senior member

how do you wear them? chinos or flannels, and maybe jeans. unwearable with a suit

is the nathan on the 8 last? i didnt make the connection to the other oxfords and the 8 last.

i believe the vernon has a rubber sole. i never look at jab. they ever put their ae on sale?

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Yes, all of the above, plus wool trousers. I wouldn't have an issue wearing them with a suit either.

Agreed.

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I got my Neumoks yesterday and I wanted to get y'all's opinion on some things. First, the toes kinda have a bump to them, I think the unlined part meets some toe cap structure. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

Also, the welts are a little dinged where the welt meets itself.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finally, while they did come with bags, they only came with red laces. Are they supposed to come with another pair of laces, as well?

13. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

The same thought has crossed my mind....

Yes on both boots. However not as bad as a riding boot or even what I see some on some of the custom White's. I think a half sole would balance it out perfectly. But I've put a lot of miles on my 744's as they are and don't think twice any more about it.

Today in honor of Storm Q:

[​IMG]

LaCrosse felt lined snow pacs while running the snow blower.

Absolutely 100% my view too.

Just got an email from Kristal at Jeffersonville outlet who put our custom order together. Although I may be the only one that ended up in, not sure. She said the Brown shell Leeds with natural sole look wonderful and gave me a tracking number. Can't wait!!!

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The JAB Park Avenue (Boardroom) and Fifth Avenue (Nathan) are both in the 8 last and look noticeably improved on this last. The problem is the cap toe line is in the same place as the AE versions on the 5 last. IIRC, JAB has a 20% corporate customer discount for shoes, but don't think the shoes ever go on one of their buy 1 get 10 sales or other huge markdowns.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Damn that was quick!
    Are these firsts or seconds? If they were firsts personally I would not keep them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.