1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

+1.

7 of my 9 pairs are seconds, and only a couple had a noticeable flaw, though none so bad I had to send back. I too have had a great track record with AE seconds, and strongly suggest you give it a try. J

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I got a pair of seconds in brown shell patriots a couple weeks back. The defect was obvious, as there are some wrinkles on the inside of the right ankle area. not a big deal to me, partly as it is in a hidden spot, but also as I don't tend to wear loafers much. So the price paid ($365 +/- iirc), I felt it a good deal off regular price

3. gtvisa2002

gtvisa2002 Well-Known Member

Thanks MoneyWellSpent.
    I appreciate your feedback.

4. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I like the black Strand, but I would agree that the other colors showcase the broguing better.

5. sevenfoldtieguy

Some are totally fine. Some are not. I have had both experiences.

6. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

I have a pair of burgundy vintage fifth avenues that are corrected grain. I wear them in the rain. Didn't know it when I bought them.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

There is place for black pants in a well rounded wardrobe. Not a necessity, but definitely permissible.

8. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Purchased two pair of Tan Suede Neumoks from the Shoe Bank. Both had noticeable flaws, but nothing to be concerned about.

I have yet to buy a pair of leather seconds, hopefully those will be wearable as well.

9. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Me neither, too bad I already wore them otherwise I'd return. Off to the BST I go..

10. Fabian43

Fabian43 Senior member

Can someone please explain to me the thought process behind having fewer black dress shoes compared to shades of brown? I only have one black dress pant so it's not like I wear a lot of black but I do like wearing black dress shoes with my navy and grey pants. Just feel like pairing some black Westchesters or Rutledge with a nice pair of slacks and a tie looks good. Am I missing something?

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Depends on your perspective I suppose. The black shoe may be viewed as more formal, conservative, business oriented, narrowly focused, task specific. Today's environment is more open, relaxed, etc. Brown shoes offer "versatility" and are easier to "dress up" or "down" hence making them appropriate for (some) formal, business, business casual, casual settings.

12. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

I have the 5th Ave and Players in black and that's enough "black versatility" for me . The rest are all browns/walnuts/burgundy/chili.

13. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

I am curious how you wear them. Do you wear them with black loafers?

For the record, I do own a pair of black dress pants, but I only wear them at night for going out, and only with black shoes.

14. jbcohen

jbcohen Well-Known Member

I have an allen edmonds a few blocks away from my office, will get fitted for the specific model that I am interested in.

15. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Black shoes + Navy pants/suit = NO-NO (IMHO)

Color 8, dark brown, walnut, or any other shade of brown looks much better

16. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Keep in mind there are times when black shoes are the appropriate choice with a navy suit. If I'm going out at night in my navy suit, I often reach for my black cap toes. There are also occasions in the business world where the occasion calls for black shoes with a navy suit. There are certain hearings or meetings where I would feel uncomfortable attending in brown shoes.

17. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

18. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Black shoes with Navy suit is the proper conservative business attire. Navy suit with walnut shoes you will look like an idiot in a proper business atmosphere.

19. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

I hate seeing no love for the black shoe. I have two black shell and love them . With black pants and charcoal

20. ClambakeSkate

ClambakeSkate Senior member

Navy Tux with black shoes, right?

Why NOT navy suit with black shoes?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.