Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Just an FYI, AE has more of their new Spring 2013 styles up.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...gn=20130203_newstyles&utm_content=interrupter

So far my disappointment with the new offerings continues. [​IMG] So far they seem to be emphasizing the cheap ae by Allen Edmonds, the Rough Collection (which has taken a turn for the worse in my opinion) and the orthotic line this year. The Franciscan isn't too bad, but I'm just not a Monk wearer myself. I've really been hoping for some new shoes that could fall into the Timeless Classics category, that can be worn with suits. I guess if you need orthotics, there is cause to be excited. Hopefully there is still hope for the regular high quality offerings.

2. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

I definitely do use more than a pea size amount. I do use Reno before using the cream too. Any tips to take care of this? Perhaps I should only use reno from here on out? I have Lexol cleaner that I could use to strip it down.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

3. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I would reccomend washing them first with lexol cleaner and then using Saphir Renomat to get all the funk off, that should get rid of huge amounts. For further use I would apply very thin layers and to minimize the use of cream on areas that bends.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013

4. Al in Philly

OK, thank you! I have the Lexol cleaner already and don't have renomat, so I'll use that up first.

I will also only use reno when cleaning/conditioning in the future, using creams I guess every 15 wearings or so. I suspect I was using too much cream.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Good advice. If the shoes are ready for a resole, I would consider just sending them in for recrafting. Part of the recrafting process is stripping off all of the old layers of polish and wax.

6. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For my shoes that I use the AE conditioner/cleaner, I alternate between polish only and condition/clean followed by polish. There are conditioners in the polish that make it questionable how often you need to use the conditioner/cleaner.

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

See this as well:

Fully agree, but I belive these are not as much worn as they look.

8. Al in Philly

They are not ready yet. I could send them in for just an upper recraft, no?

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Largely agree.

I do find it interesting that they seem to be blowing some styles out to new lasts, which in theory I think is a good idea. for example, they've added a wingtip (Winter Park) and loafer (Scottsdale) on the 1 last. For people for whom the 2 or 5 are too narrow, that's good news.

But on the other hand, there are so many models now that I wonder if they are getting close to having too much to manage.

10. MoneyWellSpent

True that there are conditioners in the polish, but there aren't any cleaning agents. So if you jump straight to polishing, you are in a sense "grinding" impurities into the leather as you polish them. This may not be a big deal, but whatever your shoes have been exposed to over the course of being worn (rain, puddle splash, water splatter from walking on a wet ground, dirt/dust, pee spray from the urinal, etc.) is just being rubbed into the leather by your polish applicator.

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I think someone mentioned this earlier, but I think your best bet is try the Saphir Reno'Mat, which strips off polish. Maybe try this before going in for a recraft.

You can read about here. Kirby also has some guides on how to use it:
    http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-reno-mat-cleaner.html#.USeO1aU4vu0

12. MoneyWellSpent

The problem is that both of those shoes are part of the Orthotic line (rubber sole and clunkier look due to the added depth to accomodate the extra insole), so they aren't for your average wearer. I know you don't have to need orthotics in order to wear them, but I wouldn't naturally go towards them unless I reall couldn't find alternatives. I agree that they are spreading themselves thin with the sheer number of styles they are trying to put out.

13. MoneyWellSpent

Agree with kmdsimpson... You probably could send them in to AE, but you will pay alot more for something you could probably do yourself with some readily available products.

14. Al in Philly

I'm more apt to do things like this myself anyway. I'm hands on, which can be a bad thing given as to how I got the shoes like that in the first place. I should treat my calf shoes more how I treat my cordovan shoes: very little product. I hardly use any on my cordovan. Reno very sparingly.

15. MoneyWellSpent

Yeah, I'm naturally prone to use too much product and have to constantly remind myself that less is often better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.