Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That's quite understandable. No judgement from my perspective!

2. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That's a great looking pair of shoes you have there, and your shine looks fantastic in my opinion! Hope you enjoy them.

3. Karl Drogo

Karl Drogo Active Member

Christian B, many thanks for these promising links! That's very reassuring to know that I only need to invest 15 minutes each time, instead of hours again... :crazy: :D Definitely going to read up and try my hand at these methods. The basic procedure I followed this first time around was:

-Remove laces
    -Brush off the shoes and ensure they were otherwise clean and ready to accept polish
    -Apply generous coat of polish using cloth (base coat) onto first shoe
    -Let first shoe dry while repeating above step on second shoe
    -When both shoes were dry, buff using cloth (I don't have a horsehair brush or anything to that effect), which gave me a reasonable shine right off the bat
    -Apply second coat of polish with generous amounts of watery saliva (I was sipping water throughout working on the shoes) in tiny circles in a small area at a time until each area achieved a glossy shine (this took SO much work)
    -Let dry with shoe trees reinserted
    -Lace up shoes and take pride in work

As for what I used, I bought the cheapest possible products I could find at Wal-Mart. I picked up a tin of Moneysworth & Best black shoe polish and a Tana shoe cloth:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For my Allen Edmonds Strands (walnut colour), I picked up a tube of Moneysworth & Best Brillo self shine shoe cream... the same one as pictured below but in a neutral colour, and obviously a fresh Tana shoe cloth:

[​IMG]

And of course, I provided an inexhaustible supply of "elbow grease" and saliva. :lol:

Question about shoe cloths. Do you guys launder them in the washing machine after each shine? The one I used for polishing the black Park Avenue is now covered in dried polish. Or do you buy new ones each time you need to shine your shoes?

Thanks MoneyWellSpent for the kind words. :) If I do get around to polishing the Park Avenue pair further, and if I do polish the Strand pair with the tube of neutral cream I have, I'll be sure to post more photos. :)

4. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Got a pair of the Fifth Streets, my first boot!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Congrats! Looks great. You know you can't stop at one, right?

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Wow, those are sharp in real life!

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Everyone has their own way, but I think generally you should not be applying generous amounts of (wax) polish. Not sure if this is what you are doing above.

8. The_International

The_International Well-Known Member

Hello Gents,

Upon the advice of many in this thread, I finally purchased my first pair of AE shoes (Strand in Walnut calf). I am very happy with the purchase, and I appreciate everyone's insight on how to navigate the ShoeBank (I purchased Seconds). On this order, I also purchased the Delray in Black, but unfortunately they have to go back because there is too much gap at the sides of the shoes and some heel slippage with these in an 11.5D. The toe box feels perfect, so is there any hope for me with these in a different size?

The strands feel great and they should only get better over time. I think that the 5 last is perfect for my foot shape. Is there a list that details all AE models on the 5? Otherwise, do any of you have suggestions of 5 last models you own and love? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

You can get such a list by going to the Strand and click the welted 5-65 Last link. Luckily, there are plenty to choose from!

10. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I haven't really heard people discussing the Neumora. Does anyone have any experience with this shoe and is it only in bourbon?

11. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

It comes in Black and Brown. I have the Bourbon samples, a little roomier than other shoes in same size, but overall fit well. The last is not my favorite, but good for the price I paid.

12. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

It's a little squarer than I prefer. I think the discontinued Mora would've been more to my liking.

13. MZhammer

MZhammer Senior member

Its terrible! I now own the Strands, Park Aves and the Fifth street in my size and I'm always on the hunt for more value priced. Bought the strands and Fifths on sale and were totally worth even the full fledged price.

As an aside, I got the Fifth Aves (brown like the pictured boots) in a 10C before I had key'd in on my size. I really wear a 9-1/2D so if anyone wants a lightly worn pair for sale or trade hit me up!

14. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

What last is it in?
    I own Magnanni 'Miro' double monks and they're great but have no captoe which was originally what I wanted.
    Not sure if I should just stick with what i've got.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If you are asking about the Moras, they were/are on the 8 last.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.