Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Wow. I had no idea these ever existed. They're gorgeous!

2. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

they should make a Park Ave (slim edition) to prevent the bowing

3. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Great looking captoe bluchers.

4. MoneyWellSpent

It seems to me that it would be a relatively trivial issue, but I haven't ever bought used shoes to try it for myself. To a degree, it seems that the high points in the original cork may move a bit to accomodate a new foot imprint, but probably not much. Once new cork is applied during re-crafting, it would make sense that it would even out alot. However, I don't think re-crafting completely eliminates your "broken in" insole. After significant periods of time of standing and walking on the insole, the leather has formed a bit of a "memory" and will be more flexible and more compressed where the feet have been resting. In other words, after re-crafting, even the insole still feels broken in and molded to your foot to a certain degree.

5. Al in Philly

Al in Philly Senior member

Thank you, gentlemen. I actually sent several emails to AE to confirm they were real before I bought them. The soles were slightly worn when I got them, but the uppers were in excellent condition. They we're probably 10 years old when I bought them; definitely not worn frequently.

6. MoneyWellSpent

I was suspicious of their recommendation to just use Walnut polish from the beginning. It doesn't quite make sense to me for the very reasons that the question is now being raised. If the base color of the shoe is Walnut, and they are just burnishing them to darken them, then it is the added pigment from burnishing that will wear away first. As the added pigment wears away, and if you are only replacing it with the original base color (Walnut), it seems only logical that your shoes will gradually transform back into Walnut shoes. I am wondering if it is just their "temporary" recommendation until they come out with a more appropriate polish suited to this color. Using the previously mentioned Saphir colors may work great. If you are sticking with the offerings from Allen Edmonds, it seems that alternating with Walnut and perhaps a Dark Brown may be better than just using Walnut.

7. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I know it doesn't.

A broken-in insole can be problematic when acquiring pre-owned shoes, if the insole has sufficiently molded to a prior owner's footprint, and if said footprint happens to be incompatible to yours.

8. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Don't forget the "yuck" factor as well. Having to keep the old insole may not be so bad with a pair of shoes that have been worn 12 or less times, but when you start getting beyond that and see the sweat stained imprint of the prior owner's feet . . . [​IMG]

9. MoneyWellSpent

I would never have guessed that you would have experience with used shoes! [​IMG]

10. MoneyWellSpent

That is a major factor in why I have never considered it as well, but to each their own. I think other people's feet are gross in general, so the thought of buying used shoes would never occur to me.

11. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Totally agree with you guys on the yuck factor. However the discontinued 0 last line fits my foot perfectly, so I'm willing to take the risk to have a used pair re-crafted. The 333 last comes close, but it's still not the 0 last.

12. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Meltonian Fashion Brown is a perfect match for Bourbon. I use it on my Kenilworth's.

13. Karl Drogo

Karl Drogo Active Member

Some photos of my Allen Edmonds Park Avenue and Strand, both of which were purchased from the November 2012 Shoebank factory seconds sale ($300 + shipping for two pairs) and both are size 8.5E. EDIT - Oops. they're size 8E, not 8.5E.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The below photo is after I finally got around to pouring blood, sweat, and tears into applying the first two coats of polish a couple weekends ago. It took me three hours since it was my first time ever polishing shoes. I figure I'll get better and the shoes will get shinier with every subsequent coat... or at least I'm hoping so. ;)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013

14. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Before polishing further, read this and this, and watch this. You should be able to do it in about 15 minutes after you got the hang of it.

15. otc

otc Senior member

y'alls need to stop posting so much in this thread.

it gets too hard to keep up with and then I miss sales since I put off clicking on a thread with 2 thousand unread posts :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.