Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Yes, they are an older MTO pair.

2. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Outstanding advice IMO. And they will develop a natural patina that mechanical\friction burnishing or chemical (cream\polish) will never duplicate. It is even more dramatic on light brown shoes and boots.

3. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Hmm, this is the first time I've read that only Reno is needed. Has anyone else used Reno exclusively? I've been using Reno + cream/polish and been satisfying with the results so far. If you want a mirror shine, Reno won't cut it.

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Correct. But having done mirror shines for 20 years and chewing ass on someone that doesn't only paste wax will work for what I would call a true shine.

Depends on the shoes, leather, protection desired and what you want for an overall finish. Crappy weather today and no need for a suit. Brown Wilbert's are several years old and have never seen anything other than LL. And keep getting better with age.

[​IMG]

5. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Can I ask what your care regimen is on these? All are in terrific shape. Do you use any polish or just conditioner?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  6. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Sent my RL Saunders back today. They simply did not fit. Sad day. I was offered a pair of tan RL Sanderson in exchange. Not sure if I want to do this as I really had my heart set on Bourbon McAllisters. What do you guys think? Should I jump on the Sanderson since it will be for the original $130 or save the money and go McAllister?

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Depends on the shoes. I use creme polish and wax on my cap toes, but prefer a more muted shine for my chukkha's and penny loafers, so only use Renovateur.

8. MSchott

MSchott Active Member

Bourbon is a great color and IMO better than the tan Sanderson's.

9. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

Reonvateur, buffing with a cloth, and brushing.

10. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

If you were offered the brown Sandersons, I would say take them. They have a very nice sharpness and pop. However, you said tan so that's a little casual. Bourbon Mcalisters are more formal to me so if you're using these for business occasions, wait for the mcalisters.

11. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

They are totally different shoes, different lasts, the Sanderson is a long wing vs McAllister is a wingtip. One is a blucher, the other is a balmoral. Another big different is the sole, I believe the Sanderson is a double-soled and the Bourbon McAllister is a combination tap sole.

Frankly, at $130 I would kop the Sanderson in a heartbeat (which I did ;). Wait for a sale and get the McAllister later.

12. FashionDisaster

FashionDisaster Member

Schweet! A couple of days before that fantabulous $130 shoe sale ended I put in an order for two pairs of shoes based on the then-current stock. I only received my pair of black BB Fifth Aves; I did not receive my walnut BB Strands. A week after I received the FAs, I called to find out if those Strands were on the way and I was told that I'd get a call back from the sales person that had helped me. I never did get a call back, so I called back again today and because there was a mix up upon ordering, they're sending me Strands in firsts instead! [​IMG]

13. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Bought a beat up pair of walnut Evanstons (my all-time favorite AE shoe) on eBay and sent them immediately to AE Recrafting. Just got the before and after photos. Wow - the amazing work of the AE Recrafting dept never ceases to amaze me! They even added the new v-tread tap sole (my request) at no additional charge. Here are the pics:

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

14. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

This is truly amazing!
    How much did this cost you? I'm not familiar with their recrafting fees.

15. FashionDisaster

FashionDisaster Member

Schweet! I had put in an order for two pairs of shoes during the $130 sale, based on the then-current stock. I received my black BB Fifth Aves but I never received my walnut BB Strands. I gave it a week thinking that they may have been shipped separately. When I called them last week I was told that the person that had helped me would call me back and then he never did. I called again today to find out the status and found out that there was a mix-up, so they're going to ship me firsts instead! Woo hoo!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.