Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

If you just purchased the shoes and they have stitching issues and are indeed First quality shoes, I would call AE immediately. They have fantastic customer service and will most definitely handle this issue.

2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Macneil definitely does, as does Leeds and Walton, I believe. The wheeling on the independence collection sure looks like it is done to a higher specification, though!

3. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Thanks, bucks. Good eye. Looks like some other split-reverse welt shoes have wheeled edges too: Hillcrest, McTavish, maybe the Black Hills. But the Berkshire, which has a rubber sole and what looks like Norwegian construction, does not.

Yeah, there are definitely differences in wheeled edges. Some almost make the shoe look heavier, as with the Leeds. Some make it look more refined, as with the Byron or Alden's straight tip balmoral.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2011

4. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Anyone here have the Sheltons in oxblood and black? I picked a pair in 9C up yesterday, and I don't know if a) I like them b) what to wear them with. My wife says I should either put taps on them and take up tap dancing or ditch them. http:[email protected]/6513105611/in/set-72157628422609561

I also have a pair of Saxons that need a resole if anyone wants them. Size 7 3E http:[email protected]/sets/72157628340970525/

If you want both, I'd be interested in trading for a pair of black AEs (Byron or Fifth Avenue) in 9-9.5. Actually, any quality dress shoe in that same vein would work.

5. TauKappaEpsilon

TauKappaEpsilon Senior member

The Sheltons need to be polished. And wear them casually with jeans and chinos. They'll look great.

6. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

^^ or grey flannel slacks, or corduroy...

7. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Thanks for the advice. It's good to know there are nice, helpful people on this forum.

8. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Got the MacNeil's in today - they're quite large compared to the 5. I'm sending them back and sizing down .5 so see if it makes any difference.

9. Testudo_Aubreii

Are those your Sheltons? Any idea when they were made? The soles seem to have wheeled edges. But the Shelton on AE's website does not seem to have wheeled edges. (Neither do your Saxons.) Either way, that Shelton is a nice shoe.

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I got them yesterday at a thrift. I don't think I can keep them, but we'll see.

11. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Apparently, I can't reply to a post yet.

I got the shoes yesterday at a thrift. I don't think the wife will let me keep them though.

12. Testudo_Aubreii

Keep 'em, even if you can't wear 'em much. That shoe is better made than AE's current Shelton. It's a great shoe: try it with dark red or reddish brown corduroys. You can darken the red with polish.

13. Testudo_Aubreii

I guess the answer to 4 is to be found in the AE catalogues, which AE had the courtesy to post here: http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/1970-catalog
    Big hat tip to AE for that.
    In the linked 1970 catalogue, just look at those wingtips around page 21! 270 welt, not 360 welt! The sculpting! The elegantly wheeled edges! What looks like a spade sole on the Chester on p. 24! The brogueing and pinking are definitely finer than on today's Cambridge or McAllister. Or look at the sharkshin shoes around page 40. Man! Those are superb shoes. AE can do these things: they've got the designs. Why don't we ask them to do it?

14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

OK, forgive my ignorance. Wheeled edges?

15. Testudo_Aubreii

Strand and Cambridge/McAllister fans, check out this 1965 AE catalogue: http://issuu.com/allenedmonds/docs/1965-catalog

A Strand predecessor, the High Street semi-brogue, is on page 10. But with finer pinking and brogueing, a 270 welt, wheeled edges, and a spade sole.

A Cambridge/McAllister predecessor, the Broadstreet full-brogue, is on page 40. Same big brogueing and pinking as the Cambridge. But with 270 welt, wheeled edges, and a spade sole.

A city wingtip, the Chester, is on p. 42. Fine pinking and brogueing, 270 welt, wheeled edges, spade sole.

The piece de resistance is the Austin full-brogue on p. 44. Extremely fine brogueing. Amazingly sleek lines. 270, wheeled, spade. Seven-eyelets! If it lacked the medallion, you'd think it was the C&J Drummond with an almond toe.

These things could go head to head with some of Edward Green's current models. Put a swan's neck detail on the Austin, and it could beat some current EG.

What a history AE has! What a history US shoemaking has!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.