Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Here are some shoes that almost never get mentioned in this thread, but are one of my personal favorites.

Walton in chili burnished calf to wrap up the week yesterday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Shawl Lapel

Shawl Lapel Senior member

Nice! Those look better than I thought they would. I passed on them during the last sale and I think someone bought out AE and is now flipping all the 7s on Ebay :brick:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2013

3. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

If it is tight across that whole part top and sides it does sound like you bought it too narrow. Personally, I would not experiment with stretching them yourself and take them to a cobbler to do it.

4. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

That's a highly informative and great post. Thanks.

5. Olifter

Olifter Senior member

I like the Dalton, don't have one, but would not get grey. I did grab one each of the Fifth Street and ended up sending the brown pair back as they squeaked. These were my first boots and I did not know what to expect. I wanted dressier boots as I wear a suit everyday. Both colors look great and I will likely get another brown pair at some point, though I have been debating other options for now.

I think you'll be happy with the brown Fifth Street, I assume they are still marked down to $247?

6. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Any more pics of the RL Sandersons? I'm agonizingly close to pulling the trigger on a pair of seconds even though they're 200% more expensive than they were a week or two ago.

7. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

What color?

8. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Here's a quick pic of the Sandersons:

[​IMG]

9. BackInTheJox

Tan/walnut.

10. BackInTheJox

You just had to call my bluff didn't you.

Beautiful shoes!

I wear 9.5E in the Lasalle/Delray (8 last). I keep hearing this last runs narrow/long. What's your experience?

11. JohnnyGalt

JohnnyGalt Well-Known Member

Not to derail the thread, but I have seen this mentioned before and it was something I, myself, was curious about a while ago. I'm not familiar with Jos A Bank's bookkeeping policies, but it is fairly common in a 'promotional' (read: sale oriented) retail business to "low-own" items on the books. Retail companies operate their inventory based on the retail value of the items ie a $1000 suit has a $1000 impact on your inventory levels. Jos A Bank and other promotional brands (think the type of stuff you find at Macy's always on sale) are able to "low-own" items in that they have an owned retail of something like $6-700 on a suit with a ticket retail (price tag) of $1000. Thus, on their books they are only being hit for $6-700 on that $1000 suit. This mainly affects the ability for the retailer to maintain their margin goals. There are lots of other details that are specific to the retail industry, but this principle is the basis of how Jos A Bank is able to market these suits at the prices they do. There are some legal stipulations as to what you can claim as your ticket price (has to be on the shelves at that price for 30 days or something similar), but you get the idea.

12. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

Fwiw - I took my black bayfields to get stretched by a cobbler. They spent a week on it and made minimal progress. Within 6h, the leather had contracted back. I don't know if this is typical but I just replaced them with a pair of black eagle county's, which are gorgeous and extremely affordable. Pics to come.

13. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I find that they run true to length and fit one width narrower vs the 8 last.

14. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Comparatively to the 5, the Dalton's last is slightly narrower right?

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

fwiw, I have a couple of Daltons in 8D and a pair of Strands in 7.5D. I find the comparison between the two (although different sizes) such that the Strands are significantly narrower. So my impression is the opposite of what you're asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.