1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

For comparison, here's a picture of my burgundy shell Kenilworth's with a single sole that I'm wearing today.

[​IMG]

I almost took my Townley's out for a maiden voyage, as well, but my right pinky toe was hurting in them. I should probably wear them around the house a little more before I scuff 'em up.

Actually, this right pinky toe pain is pretty common for me in different pairs of shoes, so I assume (but haven't measured) that my right foot is more of an E than a D. Should I consider getting a shoe stretcher and target just where that toe hits in my various pairs of shoes? I feel like just a couple of millimeters would make a world of difference.

1 person likes this.
  2. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

To all my fellow Canadian shoe maniacs:
    http://www.leatherfoot.com/ opened shop in Toronto.
    They carry a very high quality footwear selection, but most important (and AE thread related) they carry Saphir products.
    As an example, Renovateur Medaille D'or is 20 dollars.
    I saw that there are some shipping costs, but if you are in town, it is definitely worth a visit.
    Ciao,
    Max

EDIT: and of course, after I posted this, I realized that leatherfoot is one of the sponsors of this site.
    Isn't that ironic....

Last edited: May 16, 2013
  3. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

The Saunders are definitely more narrow than most AE lasts. I have been wearing mine now for a couple months now and they are definitely cramped even with the breakin compared to my other AE shoes. Def TTS or up in width.

4. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

These fit pretty narrow and long. I found it to be a very Italian style pointy-toe. I wear 9.5E in Strands/PA and ordered 9.5E in Saunders, but I think a 9 EEE may have been a better choice.

5. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

I saw that, unfortunately the saunders are only available in tan and black. The tan is alright but I would prefer a darker brown as it is more versatile so Im holding out for now.

Is that 15% off, say, the 159 for the brooks seconds models? I emailed the shoe bank and they gave me a price list but it didnt mention anything about 15% off. Is there a way I can get in touch with them over the phone?

6. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

No, it's 15% off anything that's not featured on this list or already marked down because they're Closeouts. The $159 for Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren models does not get an extra 15% off.

7. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I need to stop. STAHP AE.

Stop putting ridiculously great shoes on sale!
    Saunders and Sanderson in Snuff Suede on the way...

8. WiredandTired

WiredandTired Senior member

About the same as 5 last? I've come to the realization that I'm firmly in the E width territory. I have to choose my sizes more wisely or be content with going up in sizes and beating narrow shoes into submission. For 5 Last I think I need to go into EE to get the most comfortable fit. Its really a bummer as EE isn't a commonly used size, which means less seconds and more custom orders.

9. BCer

BCer Senior member

I wear 11.5D in Strands, McTavish and Neumoks. Got a screaming deal on Daltons in 12D, and while the ball of my foot is snug, I have heel slippage which is annoying. With the Saunders in 11.5D they fit perfectly...if anything, a little snug around the balls of my feet. But length is great and almost zero heel slippage. If anything, I tie them loosely to avoid cutting into the top of my feet. TTS if you ask me. In McTavish and Neumoks I also get a bit of tightness at the 'ends' of my small toes, but no such tightness in the Saunders because of the rounder toe box, I guess.

Hope that helps!

10. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

Saunders are def more narrow than the 5 last. I would try the saunders in 3E like masernaut mentioned. I'm a 11 E and wish I had gone with a 11 EEE or 10.5 EEE

Saunders in snuff suede sounds really really tempting... damn it Masernaut!

11. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Best picture I've seen since this ol' beauty from patrick_b...
    [​IMG]

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I have the same size in the Clifton and Vernon (both 8 last, though the Vernon is a balmoral). The Clifton does fit a bit looser even when tightened quite a bit, so I think I could have easily gone with a 1/2 size down and been fine.

13. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Anyone want to chime in on this? What was that plain toe oxford that was suitable for black tie?

Allen Edmonds (@AllenEdmonds) tweeted at 11:22 AM on Thu, May 16, 2013:
    If we were to re-introduce a retired style...what #AERetiredStyles should we consider?
    (https://twitter.com/AllenEdmonds/status/335067689636732928)

1 person likes this.
  14. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

^

I don't have a Twitter, but if I did, I'd request they bring back the Bayfield, Hale and Evanston.

15. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    Chiming in with the Westgate. AE really needs to offer wholecuts once more. The Berkley was a nice wholecut, too...

16. jaywhyy

jaywhyy Senior member

Soho as well

1 person likes this.
  17. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

AE still makes the Bayfield for Lands End. Evanston and soho are great suggestions. I'm also partial to an old version of the Clifton, which was an 8 last balmoral with a well placed cap toe line.

18. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

19. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

This is true, but only in a dark brown D width.

20. guasc1

guasc1 Well-Known Member

Question:

If you had to pick a shoe that represents the spirit, the history, the tradition and the uniqueness of Allen Edmonds, what model would it be?
    In other words, which model of Allen Admonds IS Allen Edmonds?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.