Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I'm curious, but are you referring to your post from a couple of months ago regarding the color fading after using saddle soap? I thought of you when I posted a couple of pages back about my experience with my Long Branches (look at my post from earlier today). I started to have similar fears about the finish on my boots and that was part of what prompted me to do some digging and found that their recommendations are different on the shoe care pdf on their website. Interestingly, one of the discrepancies that I have caught is between the Rapid City and the Cognac McTavish. Both shoes are made from Horween Cognac Dublin Leather. However, they say to use Conditioner/Cleaner and Walnut Polish on the Rapid City, whereas they say to use Saddle Soap on the McTavish. The care should be the same for these two shoes I would think. Just curious about what happened with yours.

2. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

Hey, guys, a place around me has the AE Van Ness in black for $210.

I'm usually wearing business formal at work. Are these fine for the office/is the price good?

Thanks.

3. newbie369

newbie369 Member

Thanks guys. I'm afraid I won't be able to exchange them as they are factory seconds that I purchased for an event late December. I used the measuring tool online and the width of my feet lined up perfectly with the suggested width. In retrospect, sizing up one width would've been a great choice.

I assume shoe bank does not accept exchanges for (gently) worn shoes?

4. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes the Yuma would be fine. You wouldn't want to wade through a stream of water with them but for what your describing they should hold up just fine. I own 3 pair of Bison leather boots including the Yuma. Bison leather is very tough yet light and supple. Not as light as Roo hide but close. The soles on the Yuma are fairly thin and without a shank they feel more like a stalking boot to me. They also are fairly snug so you might want to keep that in mind if you want to wear them with heavy socks in the winter. But Bison is also decent in the warmer months, not nearly as hot as the other boots your looking at. And yes the Yuma will look better compared to a work boot like the Chippewa if that is a concern. Although I own plenty of work boots too. What size are you BTW?

5. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

They might have changed their advice, but before they managed to do that, I'd been advised by the sales rep at a local AE store and their online customer support to use saddle soap specifically on the cognac colored ones. I thought it was odd advice, which is why I asked a few times, but they kept insisting. So, I sent them pictures. They apologized and said that was bad advice for the cognac variety. Actually, the rep in the store was shocked, and I think self-conscious, about her advice. So, they paid for shipping and got them back to looking like they should. After that, I went back to using just leather lotion on those.

I can tell you this: I will not be putting saddle soap anywhere near those uppers again, and I would advise others with cognac McTavish to avoid it as well.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  6. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I think they are fine for office. Price is not bad, but that is up to you

7. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

I'm just wondering what the difference between the Van Ness and the Clifton is.

I can get the Clifton for much cheaper on eBay.

8. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

For starters...

The Van Ness is a balmoral, while the Clifton is a blucher.

9. JilSlander

JilSlander Senior member

Clifton, it is. Thanks for the heads up, guys.

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Glad they worked with you. Did the neatsfoot oil that you used on them affect their ability to get them totally back to normal? Post some pictures if you have time!

11. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I would think about what time of year you will be wearing them most. I have both the natural and the cognac McTavish and for me, the natural McTavish more of a summer shade for me and the cognac is more fall/winter.

Chris

12. Archimon

Archimon Member

Hmm. Interesting point. Maybe I should get one of each then, in the immediate sense I suppose tan would make more sense as I really plan to wear them year round. I may invest in a second pair in the future though. My goal was to get a shoe that I could wear daily or almost daily through college, so winter is really when school is in session, but as I said these are my first pair so perhaps I should get the ones I can wear more immediately.

13. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I used saddle soap on my Elgins back when I bought it and it took out the toe burnishing. At the time the AE website had just added saddle soap and it said it should be used on the Rough Collection, so I tried it. I guess that was a mistake. Fortunately the shoe looked fine to me without the toe burnishing, so it didn't bother me. But it sounds like I should just toss that can of saddle soap.

14. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

I think they might still have saddle soap listed on their website under the McTavish description, but I'm not going there.

The finish seems different (wax infusion and such) on different colors of the McTavish, which might explain why it didn't harm my tan ones, but you should have seen the amount of color that was coming off the shoes and onto the cloth (when the cloth became brown, I could only assume it was from the shoes since I wasn't adding any color).

I'd recommend avoiding it on the cognac variety for sure.

Saddle soap is rough stuff, but it has some uses. I don't know if I'd disregard it all-together, but, like I said, I'd keep it away from cognac McTavish uppers.

15. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Bump:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.