Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

Looking to get some boots soon. A quick (and probably silly) question- what socks do you guys usually wear with your wingtip and captoe boots? If you wear thicker socks, is there a need to size up vs other dress shoes in the same last, or does the extra instep space (given its a boot) usually suffice?

2. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

+1 on the Walnut Grain MacNeil, I wear mine with slacks/sportcoat, jeans, you name it. Fantastic shoe... J

3. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

i recently picked up the snuff suede neumok's in the seconds sale. very versatile and beautifully made shoe but I'd suggest getting a leather shoe first. It will be easier for maintenance since you can polish them up when needed. I'd say check out mcallister's, strand's, or player's (my first AE). Walnut/bourbon/brown would be superb for color choice.

4. RicPac

RicPac Senior member

i just bought the AE long branch. Should i treat them even though they are more of a rugged boot? shine them and everything like i would my strands?

5. Invictus146

Invictus146 Member

For people with experience with the 5 last - any idea how much of a difference there is between C/D widths?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013

6. Archimon

Archimon Member

Appreciate the reply, McTavish is exactly what I was looking for, I was thinking suede might be a bit too much for a first choice anyway. Hopefully will pick up a pair soon. The Macneil's are nice as well, but they're more expensive and I honestly liked the McTavish more anyway. What can I say, I'm a sucker for fancy decorations! [​IMG]

7. evolved

evolved Senior member

What type of leather?

8. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

I think they look fine on feet, I would not worry about it.

9. SargesHeroes

SargesHeroes Member

Since you guys seem very knowledgeable about AE, I am having issues getting a well-fitting pair of shoes. I got some Strands in 8D from the seconds sale and they were very snug, so I took a trip to the AE store and 8E fit better, but I had heel slippage. Basically I have small girth at the ankle and my foot is only very wide at the ball. Just about every last the E fit better (and blucher style was even more heel slippage) except for the 333 last which fit well in D. Thing is, I'm not big on square toe. What do you think the best approach would be? I would like a brogued shoe (love wingtips), and I like oxford over blucher but I am done being that picky. I'm probably going to snag the Dalton in grey since the boots fit me great, but I would like something else.

10. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I have the Brown Waxy Leather version. I have been slightly frustrated with AE's shoe care advice on their website, but I had a break through the other day. They have shoe care advice in three locations on their website.
    1. At the bottom of the page on each individual shoe there is a paragraph or two with hyperlinks for recommended shoe care products.
    2. There is also the shoe care page, which has some videos and a pdf chart with all of their shoes with care recommendations.
    3. There is the "Ask & Answer" tab on each individual shoe, which invariably has people asking how to care for the shoe and AE's customer service response to the question (it seems that their answers generally match up with the advice in the pdf).

My frustration came from the fact that all to often, the advice in the three different areas didn't match up. I finally realized the other day, that the pdf chart seems to be their "master" recommendation list and is probably the one to follow, and the advice at the bottom of the page (#1) should be generally ignored since I have found it to be blatantly wrong.

That said, I initially followed the advice in item #1 which is to use Conditioner/Cleaner followed by Saddle Soap. I've done this 2-3 times so far. However, I haven't been very happy with what seems to be an increasingly dull finish on the boots. I thought they had an attractive sheen to them when they were new, and I thought it was a perfect amount of sheen given their rugged purpose. It turns out, their shoe care chart pdf actually says to use Conditioner/Cleaner and then follow with Dark Brown Premium Polish. So, I'm going to try that at my next polishing.

11. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That sort of looks like the now infamous "5-Last Bowing." Have you had trouble with any other 5-Last shoes doing that? I agree with cbtaylor, that if they fit fine it probably isn't a huge deal.

12. captstatic

captstatic Member

I had the same results with the saddle soap method on mine. So, I switched over to using polish it does make the boot darker than the original finish, but overall I think it looks better compared to the saddle soap results.

Chris

13. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

I've been concerned with rigid, superfeet-type insoles as well. I've found that fit is vital and if the insole can be trimmed, I ensure it isn't deforming the shoe in any way. At full size (untrimmed) it was pushing on the leather and I could feel it from out outside of the shoe. I've never had any issues with them damaging the interior of the shoe but have had to trim the forefoot section.

I also have a pair of the half soles and they are made of a rigid plastic that can't [easily] be trimmed. In one pair of boots, they are a tad too big so I just don't use them in that pair. In other shoes/boots, they work just fine.

I have a similar 'collection' of insoles. Some better than others. I never would have thought the rigid plastic black half soles would add comfort but they certainly do.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013

14. captstatic

captstatic Member

[​IMG]

Going with my Merlot McAllister (seconds) today.

Chris

15. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Which colour did you get? I have the Brown Waxy Leather on order. Have any pics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.