1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rickrone

rickrone Well-Known Member

I own the black fifth ave. I want to buy 2-3 shoes because of the sale, what should i get. I need a brown pair for my suits and i need a casual pair to where with khakis. i don't were jeans much. any suggestions? should i get the dark brown fifth ave to wear with my suits?

2. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

I thought the Presidio was on the #2 last. It's the Brooks Brothers loafer with the combo sole. Unless I'm confused and mistaken, which I've been known to be both.

It's these on the BB website. I got them as seconds from AE.

Last edited: May 13, 2013
  3. carlos20co

carlos20co Well-Known Member

I also have a pair of Fifth Street boots on the #5 last and those don't have that bump. That's why it surprised me when I put on my Mcallisters. It's good to know that it will go down over time. I like them a lot.

4. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
  5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Welp, I only lasted 2.5 months; both the Finches and the Sheltons are on their way, along with a Center Fielder. If I keep all three, that'll be 12 pairs of Allen Edmonds in not so many months. I'm really enjoying upping my shoe game, but also realizing that I'm going to have to slow it down here soon...

6. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Could be. I'm not familiar with the BB's lasts.

7. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

If it makes you feel any better, extensive broguing/perfing/pinking/etc. could certainly be described as "Extravagant, complex, or bizarre, especially in ornamentation".

8. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I jumped on a pair of Burgundy Shell Cordovan Daltons with the special sale that began today. $466.I think they retail for $695. So not a bad deal at all. Vincenzo said the flaw he could see was a small ding in the shoe, less than a 1/4" I think I can live with that. I also got a pair of MLB Yankees white with red stitching for $19.That was cheap... Looking forward to getting them both.

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Looks like the end of a tiny screwdriver. If you want to get in there, a tiny screwdriver will do just fine.

10. Tardis

Tardis New Member

Allen Edmonds shoes have become a "hobby" for me. I'm up to 13 pairs! I trust my local "shoe expert" to keep them looking good.
    Favourites are Wendell's - Proudly wearing black and brown ones. The quality and value-for-dollar are amazing.

Oh, and yes, I did get a brand new pair at the local Good Will for 22.50!

11. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

It is on the 2 last and so is that BB model, the latter of which i recently tried on. The fit was positively miserable. Just terrible.

12. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

I don't think that I can try anything else in the 2 last, it's just an odd fit for my foot.

I just got my return label from Adam. He's been really helpful when I purchase shoes from the Brookfield store. I'm thinking of trying the McGraw's in Walnut. Does anyone have experience with the 4 (234) last? I do have a pair of Cortlands and I think they are on the 4 last as well but I think it might be the 4 (444) last. Not sure of the difference besides what is stated on the website. More squared off toe and flatter in the toe area.

I really want to get a loafer in Walnut and that is about the only one that I can find from them that is available in my size.

13. AmericanGent

AmericanGent Senior member

You can find the tiny cotton swabs in the baby section of your local store. We have them for our kids and I steal them for my brogueing from time to time. Usually the pencil brush from AE is enough.

14. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Finally got around to posting a pic of my AE strands, i purchased the Walnut strands at the start of the year and found the colour to be a little too light in my opinion.

So after several mid brown and dark brown coats i think its safe to say its in a colour i now prefer and can match more with.

I hope it assits anyone who is on the fence with darken walnut shoes.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  15. Veridis

Veridis Well-Known Member

Nice! I have the walnut strands, and recently ordered bourbon ones. It is the favorite model out of all the AE shoes.
    I discovered people have been darkening the walnut strands by themselves.. However, you can't just switch between walnut and bourbon in an instant, so having two pairs makes sense. I just hope the colors are not too close! Will post photos when I get them.

Does anyone own both walnut and bourbon in the same model?

16. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    So if I use a tiny Q-Tip (or small-tip screw driver) to nourish the Brogue holes - what Saphir color or product do I use in the leather holes to maintain the darker contrast? Or do I use Saphir Renovateur?

David

17. jch1

jch1 Senior member

I think I may do this as well. Did you use AE cream polish or Saphir? To mirror what another said, if you used Saphir, which colors?

18. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Yes, they are rebranded Fifth Avenues, and they are on the 5-last. Some manufacterers (like Alden) have custom lasts that are used for Brooks Brothers shoes, but AE's models that are simply rebranded for BB are all on the same last as the AE version.

19. MoneyWellSpent

I didn't miss it, and your picture helps prove my point. Yours are showing the nice hue that is desirable against a walnut shoe, and the chili dressing allows the grain of the leather to show through in a beautiful way. Using brown edge dressing on the same shoe would give an opaque brown sole edge that would look more like milk chocolate. The brown edge dressing is better on shoes that are a true brown where no contrast is intended in my opinion (like on a pair of dark brown Fifth or Park Avenues with a suit for example). Obviously the brown edge dressing has it's place on plenty of other models as well.

20. MoneyWellSpent

David, unless you are trying to get "artistic" you should use the same color polish that you are using on the rest of your shoe. The darkness of the brogue holes is caused by lack of light caused by shadow (because it is a hole). On some models the material that is placed between the leather upper and leather lining during shoe construction also contributes to the darkness of the brogue holes. In any event, the brogue holes will always be darker than the surrounding leather simply from shadow, and no extra help is needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.