• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just purchased my first AE (Dalton in Chocolate) the other day, wore them over the weekend and today to work. Absolutely love them. Drooled over them for about three months before making the purchase. Anyone have any suggestions for shoe trees for these? Maybe the Woodlore Boot Shoe Tree?

I have a couple of the Woodlore boot shoe trees and I wouldn't suggest them. Although the tree rises up high nicely, they are not wide enough for Daltons. I have two pairs of Daltons as well as the Long Branch and for me, the Woodlore Epic trees are the best. You also can't go wrong with the AE full-toe trees (or Jos. A. Bank, which are the same thing).

Same here. I purchased the Woodlore boot trees for my walnut shell Daltons but ended up using those for other boots and use the epic in my Dalton's. And most of my boots and shoes for that matter.

Any recommendations for orthotic inserts for dress shoes?

Here's my predicament:
  • I have flat feet and need arch support. I have long and narrow feet.
  • I bought Allen Edmonds Strand 11.5B, which is the recommended size based on the AE sizing tool. I wore it with my custom orthotic insole (full foot size), and it was too tight.
  • I exchanged for size 11.5D. With my custom orthotic insole, my toes felt cramped; the heel was also elevated and felt like it might slip out of the shoe. Without my custom orthotic, I had too much room in the shoe, the shoe moved around when I was walking, and I was getting blisters.

I am considering exchanging yet again, for the 11.5B I had originally. But before I do so (which would involve a trip across the border), I want to make sure there aren't any alternative arch support solutions – say, a thinner, less obstructive orthotic insert ideal for dress shoes (especially for AE Strands). And if such an insert exists, would it work with the 11.5B, which fits my natural foot, or should I still allow for more width, keeping the 11.5D?

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.
I have the same issue narrow heels and no arch, on my left foot it has flattened totally over the years. I have custom orthotics both for boots and half length thinner ones for dress which cost $400 for each set. Couple of years ago was in an AE store and they sell black superfeet inserts for $20 and I picked up a pair to try. Turns out they work as good or better than my custom ones. They are half length and work in dress shoes and boots without changing the volume in the toe area but help with filling the area in the heel and mid foot. I only wear my custom ones in heavy hiking or hunting boots now. Even then I sometimes wear the black superfeet instead and walk 8-12 miles a day during bird season without any problem. Most foot docs would give me a hard time for saying so but it is worth a try and your only out $20 if it doesn't work. I would keep the 11.5D and try them in those as they are fixed in width for most D width shoes. They do push against the sides of the shoes or boots but it isn't very noticeable and trees bring everything back in when resting. By adjusting lacing tension I can prevent heel slip but it takes tongue pads in a few of my shoes. Good luck.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looks pretty good to me...certainly better looking than those duckbill looking ***** posted on the last page where the captoe was placed "correctly"...lol

You'd literally have to be a moron to think this is anything resembling a "duckbill looking ****":

god I hate newbs

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cap distance discussion is always interesting. I forget if it was DWFII or Bengal who actually discussed the typical distance of the cap toe design. Couldn't find the post or I'd link it. I think it comes down to preference, some like the PA's look, some like the cap to be longer. Actually wearing a pair of cap toe boots today with my preferred cap look (x-post):
8470998596_8c1ce2a4ab.jpg

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same here. I purchased the Woodlore boot trees for my walnut shell Daltons but ended up using those for other boots and use the epic in my Dalton's. And most of my boots and shoes for that matter.

I have the same issue narrow heels and no arch, on my left foot it has flattened totally over the years. I have custom orthotics both for boots and half length thinner ones for dress which cost $400 for each set. Couple of years ago was in an AE store and they sell black superfeet inserts for $20 and I picked up a pair to try. Turns out they work as good or better than my custom ones. They are half length and work in dress shoes and boots without changing the volume in the toe area but help with filling the area in the heel and mid foot. I only wear my custom ones in heavy hiking or hunting boots now. Even then I sometimes wear the black superfeet instead and walk 8-12 miles a day during bird season without any problem. Most foot docs would give me a hard time for saying so but it is worth a try and your only out $20 if it doesn't work. I would keep the 11.5D and try them in those as they are fixed in width for most D width shoes. They do push against the sides of the shoes or boots but it isn't very noticeable and trees bring everything back in when resting. By adjusting lacing tension I can prevent heel slip but it takes tongue pads in a few of my shoes. Good luck.

Just curious about some more details on your experience with those black Superfeet inserts. I have a pair of those that I used to use in cheaper shoes, but I've always been nervous to use them in my higher quality shoes from fear that they would chew up the leather linings. Have you experienced any of that? I had a pair of cheaper dress shoes a few years back that they did a bit of a job on by digging into the leather linings around the rim of the insert and it looked pretty bad.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cap distance discussion is always interesting. I forget if it was DWFII or Bengal who actually discussed the typical distance of the cap toe design. Couldn't find the post or I'd link it. I think it comes down to preference, some like the PA's look, some like the cap to be longer.

Actually wearing a pair of cap toe boots today with my preferred cap look (x-post):

Nice looking boots. Who makes them?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what happened to the Jodox? It was in the 2012 catalog supplement slated for release on December 1st, but I never saw any sign of it. I'm not totally sure about it anyway, given that it is sort of an odd looking hybrid between a PTB and a Chukka, but I'm curious about where it went.

CrAz3D

Reaction score

Toes three and four (big toe being #1 and pinky being #5) slightly touch edge of shoe. I'm not used to that. Normal?
yall ae fellows have thoughts? Keep nails trimmed and call it good? Esp since these 8s fit better than 8.5s?

CrAz3D

Reaction score

yall ae fellows have thoughts? Keep nails trimmed and call it good? Esp since these 8s fit better than 8.5s?
Also, two small bumps on insole on heel--feels like a pebble. Think I can shave that down somehow?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think you can special order different size shoes direct from AE. I'm not sure if there is an extra charge for this or not.

harlequin782

Reaction score

You'd literally have to be a moron to think this is anything resembling a "duckbill looking ****":

god I hate newbs

youd literally have to be an absolute dumbass to believe that everyone thinks Allen Edmonds captoe needs to change...or to think that the captoe in that pic represents perfection to everyone ...not even close to my eye. lol

Last edited:

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The cap distance discussion is always interesting. I forget if it was DWFII or Bengal who actually discussed the typical distance of the cap toe design. Couldn't find the post or I'd link it. I think it comes down to preference, some like the PA's look, some like the cap to be longer. Actually wearing a pair of cap toe boots today with my preferred cap look (x-post):
Which boots are these?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just curious about some more details on your experience with those black Superfeet inserts. I have a pair of those that I used to use in cheaper shoes, but I've always been nervous to use them in my higher quality shoes from fear that they would chew up the leather linings. Have you experienced any of that? I had a pair of cheaper dress shoes a few years back that they did a bit of a job on by digging into the leather linings around the rim of the insert and it looked pretty bad.
No I haven't, knock on wood. They do push out a lot on my unlined walnut shell Dalton's which I wore yesterday and it used to concern me some that they would cut through to the outside, however after more than a years wear no problems. I have 3 shoe boxes full of insoles I have collected over the years and they are easily the hardest ones. The next hardest ones are an old pair of green superfeet inserts that you cut to length. The harder the insole the better support they provide which is my main concern. When I get around to it I would like to purchase the next size down to see if it helps reduce the tension on the inside of the shoes\boots but still fits the correct position of my arch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads