• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

reidrothchild

Reaction score

There is a monk on the independence line?

Not currently, but one is coming out per the preview I saw of the upcoming spring and fall 2013 lines from an AE dealer. I think it's part of the Fall 2013 line though, so it'll be a while. If I recall correctly, it's a cap-toe monk on the 3 last.

dancingbear

Reaction score
Not currently, but one is coming out per the preview I saw of the upcoming spring and fall 2013 lines from an AE dealer. I think it's part of the Fall 2013 line though, so it'll be a while. If I recall correctly, it's a cap-toe monk on the 3 last.

Any word on the Pasedena loafer on the 333 last?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Any opinions on the Verona? Looking for a basic black loafer and too young for tassels.

I have the Verona, and it is a great shoe. I was initially resistant to its Bologna construction but it was the most comfortable loafer I tried on in the store. It's sort of their version of the iconic Gucci loafer; I get compliments on it all the time. I think if you are looking for an Italian loafer, best in its price range, even at the $300 retail.

Having said all that, the soles are thin, and I beat mine up pretty quickly in bad weather. But I think that's par for the course with most Italian shoes.

I also think the brown is more versatile than the black. Also, there was a version in black called the Lucca that is the same shoe, just with a rubber sole. The rubber sole is sort of a light commando, and actually not that noticeable. Worth thinking about for wet weather, if you can find ti.

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
How much does the leather adapt after breaking in?
It'll soften and be more comfortable, but there won't be much change in size

-from a guy whos bought narrow shoes his whole life, thinking they would break in... just starting to learn

CrAz3D

Reaction score
I got some 8.5s that feel too lose, and I got some 8s that feel too tight on the top. hmm. I guess loosen laces and call it a day. haha.

harlequin782

Reaction score

Quad: everybody knows how you feel about the toe cap issue. I share your opinion. However, let's not let that personal preference spill over into denigrating someone's individual shoes, especially when I suspect we're talking about someone on their second pair of nice shoes. Those Fifth Avenues are better than what most of the population is wearing.
Quad- Those of us with large hands and feet rely on the cap toe to break up the length of the shoe. Oh, and also to let everyone know who has a big schwanz.
"Crap toe" :rotflmao: p.s. these are on the bay...12D.
looks pretty good to me...certainly better looking than those duckbill looking ***** posted on the last page where the captoe was placed "correctly"...lol

reidrothchild

Reaction score
The Verona is a beautiful shoe. Based on kmdsimpson's endorsement of the Italian line, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Modena during the last sale. It's like wearing a house slipper. It has an elastic strap hidden under the upper part of the vamp, so it fits like a glove. I have 5 other loafers (Italian, English, and American-made), and these are easily the best fitting. If I came across the Verona on discount, I'd definitely pull the trigger. Full price is fair, but I just personally can't justify $300+ on another loafer when there are other holes I'd rather fill in my shoe rotation. I really can't justify spending another dollar on shoes, but that's more of an ongoing conversation between me and my wife.

As kmdsimpson said, these are a different animal than your typical AE loafer both from a styling and construction standpoint. The nappa leather is super soft and flexible but creases much differently than typical AE leather. The sole is probably half the thickness of a standard AE single oak sole. While this creates a much sleeker appearance, they look like they'd wear out in about 10 wears. I topy'd mine and have no regrets.

The only hesitation I'd have in recommending the Italian line to you is that you said you're looking for a BASIC loafer. A horsebit loafer, while classic, is not what I would consider basic. But then I work in a very conservative environment.

Last edited:

BCer

Reaction score
FYI, on the list I got today from shoebank, there are both Verona and Lucca in my sizes - 11.5 & 12.

CrAz3D

Reaction score
I bought some brand new AE Strans from Amazon the other day...$240 & change.

marmot8

Reaction score
The Verona is a beautiful shoe. Based on kmdsimpson's endorsement of the Italian line, I ended up pulling the trigger on the Modena during the last sale. It's like wearing a house slipper. It has an elastic strap hidden under the upper part of the vamp, so it fits like a glove. I have 5 other loafers (Italian, English, and American-made), and these are easily the best fitting. If I came across the Verona on discount, I'd definitely pull the trigger. Full price is fair, but I just personally can't justify $300+ on another loafer when there are other holes I'd rather fill in my shoe rotation. I really can't justify spending another dollar on shoes, but that's more of an ongoing conversation between me and my wife.

As kmdsimpson said, these are a different animal than your typical AE loafer both from a styling and construction standpoint. The nappa leather is super soft and flexible but creases much differently than typical AE leather. The sole is probably half the thickness of a standard AE single oak sole. While this creates a much sleeker appearance, they look like they'd wear out in about 10 wears. I topy'd mine and have no regrets.

The only hesitation I'd have in recommending the Italian line to you is that you said you're looking for a BASIC loafer. A horsebit loafer, while classic, is not what I would consider basic. But then I work in a very conservative environment.[/quote

Thanks for the responses!. I'm in a conservative environment too (law office), but just love the look. Never really saw them to be anything but conservative, but I'm young and with a lot to learn. Would be open for other suggestions too.

mispoke

Reaction score
Any recommendations for orthotic inserts for dress shoes?

Here's my predicament:

• I have flat feet and need arch support. I have long and narrow feet.
  • I bought Allen Edmonds Strand 11.5B, which is the recommended size based on the AE sizing tool. I wore it with my custom orthotic insole (full foot size), and it was too tight.
  • I exchanged for size 11.5D. With my custom orthotic insole, my toes felt cramped; the heel was also elevated and felt like it might slip out of the shoe. Without my custom orthotic, I had too much room in the shoe, the shoe moved around when I was walking, and I was getting blisters.

I am considering exchanging yet again, for the 11.5B I had originally. But before I do so (which would involve a trip across the border), I want to make sure there aren't any alternative arch support solutions – say, a thinner, less obstructive orthotic insert ideal for dress shoes (especially for AE Strands). And if such an insert exists, would it work with the 11.5B, which fits my natural foot, or should I still allow for more width, keeping the 11.5D?

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

facet

Reaction score

Any recommendations for orthotic inserts for dress shoes?

Here's my predicament:

• I have flat feet and need arch support. I have long and narrow feet.
  • I bought Allen Edmonds Strand 11.5B, which is the recommended size based on the AE sizing tool. I wore it with my custom orthotic insole (full foot size), and it was too tight.
  • I exchanged for size 11.5D. With my custom orthotic insole, my toes felt cramped; the heel was also elevated and felt like it might slip out of the shoe. Without my custom orthotic, I had too much room in the shoe, the shoe moved around when I was walking, and I was getting blisters.

I am considering exchanging yet again, for the 11.5B I had originally. But before I do so (which would involve a trip across the border), I want to make sure there aren't any alternative arch support solutions – say, a thinner, less obstructive orthotic insert ideal for dress shoes (especially for AE Strands). And if such an insert exists, would it work with the 11.5B, which fits my natural foot, or should I still allow for more width, keeping the 11.5D?

I would greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

Certain orthotic companies will offer a dress orthotic that is narrower and thinner than their regular/causal insert; you would have to ask your provider about whether the company they use has that as part of their line up though.

Last edited:

hexagon

Reaction score
I plan to order my first pair of Daltons calf. I wear a 9.5 D Strand. Should I go for the same, up/down 1/2 a size? Reviews on the ae website say the Daltons are narrow and to up a width. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads