• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All fair enough. I think you hit the nail on the head here actually. Since there aren't any true rules, AE just did what they did (possibly semi-arbitrarily), and the results follow as you listed regarding why everyone buys it no questions asked. I see the issue on some PA's and not others. The cap looks fine to me on a foot that is moderately balanced on length/width, and I think it looks fine on long/narrow feet. On short/wide feet I see the stubbyness as much more pronounced.

There is a contemporary element to it, but it is also an issue of simple aesthetics. The issue is that the placement of the toe cap on many Park Avenues is too far from the laces, which makes the rounded toe look even stubbier. By moving the toe cap more to the laces, it would make the rounded toe look sleeker and more elegant.

I also agree that part of the Park Avenue's success is due to the absence of competition in this price range from a quality goodyear welted shoe. That's changing as the Meermin Hiro last captoe and Andrew Lock's benchgrade captoe are both around the $225 price range. As big of an AE fan as I am (and a Park Avenue owner to boot), I tend to recommend these two for black captoes over the Park Avenue.

Pictures of both below with a few C&J's thrown in to illustrate the better placed captoe.

Andrew Lock:

Park Avenues:

C&J:

C&J (not a fair comparison due to last shape, but I throw it in anyways):

Meermin (not mine):

Edit: my shoes are all 12D's.

Thanks for the pictures. Nice looking captoe collection! I think I will just stick with what I said above and handle it on a case-by-case basis (fortunately for my size, the placement is fine with me). For what it's worth, the PA's may actually have been my favorites in your group. I know I'm as subjective in my tastes as everyone else, but that quintessential American look generally wins me over. I may take an Alden captoe on the Aberdeen or Hampton over a PA, but the funny thing is, I see versions of those where the cap seems to be in a similarly placed position and people don't really seem to criticize Alden for theirs.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They had that, it was called the Soho. It was built on the 0 last, and it had a much longer toe cap. I have a pair in saddle brown and wear them all the time. It's a great shoe. I would buy them in black and any other color they were offered in if AE made them again.

I also like the Niles, and think it has a great balanced look.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

They had that, it was called the Soho. It was built on the 0 last, and it had a much longer toe cap. I have a pair in saddle brown and wear them all the time. It's a great shoe. I would buy them in black and any other color they were offered in if AE made them again.

I also like the Niles, and think it has a great balanced look. 

Yes. Question is why don't they bring back something like these as an alternative to the PA? Not as a replacement.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes. Question is why don't they bring back something like these as an alternative to the PA? Not as a replacement.

I just assume that it is a supply and demand thing. They probably can't justify taking up factory/worker/storage/webpage space on a pair that your "average joe" will look at and not see a huge difference. With Park Avenue being a household name in entry-level high-end business footwear, it will win out. They are more busy with the other shoes alot of us keep griping about that are mostly appealing to the transient fashion market.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the same reason that AE made all shell shoes MTO and has discontinued less popular models: inventory cost.

charliebrown2

Reaction score
In honor of the recent cap toe discussion, 5th Ave:

Think I might change the laces back to crosses. The straight bar doesn't hide the unfortunate V very well.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Think I might change the laces back to crosses. The straight bar doesn't hide the unfortunate V very well.
That's a pretty hefty gap. On your next 5 last purchase, consider sizing down a 1/2 size and going wider.

Septimus

Reaction score

Mine in walnut, just for fun:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Family photo

Back row: Shell Dalton, Malvern, Amok, McTavish, Westchester, Hale, Park Ave

Middle row: RL Singleton, Neumok, Neumok, Players, Patriot, Fifth Ave, Williams

Front Row: RL Sanderson, Neumora, Park Ave, Lasalle, Elgin, McAllister, Strand

Any suggestions on future additions? I am thinking more Shell for sure

Quite the collection you have going there. How do you like your grey leather McTavishes?

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds just linked to this thread half an hour ago on their Facebook page. Nice.

Uh oh ... hope they don't blacklist some of us who sometimes criticize their shoes...jk
shog[1].gif

Quick, everyone start posting about the need for AE to come out with dark brown shell Dalton's, an 8 last cap toe (with a well placed cap line), a functioning website, and better photo's of the shoes.

What am I missing?

Good to know that they are monitoring this thread. I know the CEO has a profile on Ask Andy, but I've never been sure if they've paid much attention to SF. Maybe our opinions will have some sway after all!

Last edited:

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Quite the collection you have going there. How do you like your grey leather McTavishes?

I like them, they are versatile enough, and I wanted to get something different once I felt I had all the basics. And they were pretty cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads