Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Mix 2 parts water to 1 part white vinegar and wipe the salt stains down ASAP. Then wipe down with a damp rag and let them dry naturally do not place near a heat source to dry. I too doubt they are ruined.

Several thin coats of paste wax will protect your shoes in the winter very well. Cream or cream polish, not so much. I always wax my shoes and boots a couple of extra times in the fall before the snow falls and also during the winter. Check your soles every day when you get home and make sure you don't have chunks of salt stuck in the leather soles too.

2. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

How'd you get that price? I have been shopping for overshoes and would love swims because of the lined interior, but there is no way I would spend $95 on overshoes. $30 for swims vs. $25 for tingelys would be great.

3. ddsg

ddsg Well-Known Member

Here is a picture of a 6 month old pair of Rutledges next to a new pair of RL Sandersons and a pair of dark brown Fifth Avenues. The picture accurately shows the difference in color under office lighting.

[​IMG]

As for sizing, I wear 9.5 D on the 5 last (fit snug for the first few wears before stretching considerably, 9 D on the 333 last (snug fit for most of the day and uncomfortable after maybe 12 hours) and 9.5 D on the 2 last. My brannock device sizing is 9 C.

4. jakej

jakej Active Member

Looking for a belt to wear with my walnut Strands as the one I've been using does not work well.

Did a little searching but couldn't find a good answer on this.

Has anyone purchased a belt from Narragansett or Austin Jeffers to wear with walnut strands? Hard to tell what would work well from the online pictures. Any input is appreciated.

5. tesuquegolfer

tesuquegolfer Senior member

Thought I would post a pic of my Walnut 5th Aves. When I chose them over the Strands, I wanted something a little more conservative with less broguing. However, I ended up getting a pair of Strands and they are actually my favorites. Here in Northern New Mexico, where I am one of less than 1% that owns descent shoes, it is nice to stand out a little and show some real style. I will get a pic of my 5ths for next time.

[​IMG]

6. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

That seems really odd. According to those numbers you would think you would be swimming in the 9.5s.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

7. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

The new suede shoes released really make me wonder why AE won't develop a simple dirty buck.

8. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

With Narragansett, the walnut matches my Strands perfectly. However, the burgundy belt comes back looking bright red and would not match any pair of burgundy/merlot shoes I've ever seen.

9. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Thanks! Picked them up used at a thrift store, but I know they don't make them anymore. When I got them, the soles were lightly worn and still were original heels/soles. I've only replaced the heels. Still on the original AE branded soles. Only the 3rd or 4th time wearing them. These are double soled unlike the sanfords, which I also have, that are single soled.

10. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

Seems like the Amazon sale is over.. Park Aves and others were $250 new.

11. md2010

md2010 Senior member

12. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I've been wearing mine with a Club Monaco Adam belt and it matches pretty spot on.

Link to it: http://www.clubmonaco.com/product/i...936.12454546&ab=ln_men_shoesaccessories_belts

13. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

Been there done that with AE shoes. I kep moisturizing my damaged pair and applying shoe cream and it's not as noticeable now. However, I immediately bought Swims overshoes thereafter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

14. TurboTropic

TurboTropic Senior member

BTW, bought a pair of Walnut Daltons in the current shoebank sale. Will probably take a couple of weeks to get to me in Canada but I'm very excited.

15. BCer

BCer Senior member

I live in Canada too, near Vancouver. For what it's worth, I get my AE online orders delivered to a package depot just across the border - US side. Usually takes 3 days to arrive there, free shipping within US, takes me <90 mins round trip from my house, and Customs rarely charges me duty. Just picked up a package from AE today. Funny thing was, I got two pairs of shoe trees...one pair consisted of 2 left feet. Shipping me another pair tomorrow N/C, and I can return the bad pair when I pick up the replacements. I love AE customer service!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.