Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

What size/width do people wear in the 3 last v the 5 last?

Thanks

2. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I wore my Rutledges today for the first time. I got a compliment on them at church this morning and few at the cigar shop this afternoon. It is a very striking shoe. Great fit. I wonder if the new Harrison fits similarly. They both are on the 3 last. Anyone have a comparison that might be helpful for me?
    [​IMG]

3. delmar

delmar Senior member

You can say that again.

4. Septimus

Septimus Senior member

Thanks. Looks good, and I may just be able to get my Nucky Thompson on with black and gold...

5. SloopyNoob

SloopyNoob Senior member

Ok, I have some bad news. The soles of the Amsterdams that I ordered via UrbanDaddy a few months ago have started showing cracks. Has anyone experienced the same problem? I already sent my back to AE for repair. I hope mine is an isolated incident and not a problem with the design of the new sole.

[​IMG]

6. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

No snoSeal even though I had considered it when I bought them. Have never done it to shell and couldn't bring myself to do it, I love them as they are and am afraid to change the look of them. But for extended exposure in rain or snow my feet do get wet. I try to use trees in all my shoes and boots but to be honest I wear the 744's so much they sit by the door and normally no I don't, but know better and should [​IMG]

I use Saphir medium brown paste wax on both the cigar shell and Krause, to good effect. After hiking when I got back to the motel room I'd use a wadded up piece of damp TP and wiped them down then put my hand inside a used wool sock and brushed them for a couple of minutes (didn't have a brush). They always came out looking like they were new again. No rubber soles on them yet but am looking and have been for awhile. I want something with soft enough rubber to have traction but shed snow and mud. The ones on the RW are perfect and what ever they are that is what I would like to get.

I hear you I too have a narrow heel and most AE shoes seem to fit me better than any other brand, I never considered that before. And yes you do deserve the best! Welcome aboard BTW.
    Beautiful GOP but you aren't helping me here. People have posted pics before of those and it has always got my interest up but your pushing me over the edge.... Nicely done.

7. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Might be buying the Rutledge's this week. Then again, all of my dress shoes are AE's. Might look into taking a step up. hmm...decisions decisions. Doubt you can do much better for the price than the Rutledges...

8. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

This happens.

9. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Maybe it's just the lighting, but your Rutledges look so much lighter than the ones posted earlier. Still darker than classic AE walnut color, but definitely lighter than the almost-chili color of the other poster's. Would you agree that in regular light on a routine basis the Rutledge looks more walnut than chili?

10. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

The flash was a little hot in this pic. It was a different camera than the one I used for yesterday's pics. The pics yesterday are much more accurate and representative of the color of the shoe. Yes, they are more chili than walnut. These are I think the most unique pair of AEs I own. I highly recommend getting a pair.

11. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Oops I didn't realize you were the same poster!

I'm real tempted to get them. The only thing holding me back is the fact that I already have two shoes in chili (Delrays and Fairfax) and I have no actual walnut shoes. I have two pair of grey slacks (well, one charcoal and one lighter grey) that I think would look great with true walnut colored shoes, but maybe less so with the chili. Or maybe I'm just being picky.

12. Mike Lucas

Mike Lucas Member

That's exactly my issue. The color looks pretty nice in the pictures I've seen, but I can't find any of them in the wild. Hopefully someone will post their pics soon and I'll be able to judge them adequately, but worst case I just return them and get the Fifth Street. Alternatively, maybe plunder eBay or our classifieds. I'm just in a new AE sort of mood, really.

13. ircfas133

ircfas133 Senior member

Thank you for your kind description. Do I have to live in SC in order to be in their service area? I'm Chicago suburb. Thank you!

14. BeraQueezy

BeraQueezy Senior member

for the seconds past sale, i picked up the brooks neumoks ($117) and mcallisters ($130) [​IMG] [​IMG] only flaw in the neumoks is loose stitching near the laces [​IMG] as for the mcallisters, there is a nick on the front toe box of the left shoe and extra varnishing which would be hidden by the laces anyway [​IMG] [​IMG] I am thoroughly pleased being that this was my first experience with AE seconds. Definitely will buy from again next time a sale comes around

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013

15. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

no. They can ship to you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.