• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a pair of the gray Dalton's on order and should be getting them this coming week.  I plan on posting some pics of them once they arrive.

Chris

I too plan on getting a pair of the Daltons and the loafer in grey. However, I already have grey shoes :)

wiredrob

Reaction score
Recently got some rutledges on sale from the shoe bank. There was something different and I'm not sure it's part of their normal design.

When I walk the shoes make a 3 part sound as I place my foot...first the back of the heel, then the front if the heel, and then the sole. Very noticeable when walking on a hard floor.

I placed them on a flat surface and studied them. I noticed that when I pushed down on the back of the shoe the shoe "rocked" and the sole lifted about 3/8". Further study showed that the plane of the heel was at a different level than the plane of the sole.

I checked my other AE shoes (strand, park ave, fifth ave, seneca) and no others did this. Old Bostonians also did not rock.

I checked my other shoes which were European ( Bruno Magli, santoni) and they also rocked and had this non-parallel thing going on (is this a euro thing?).

What are other people's experiences with the Rutledge? Should I try to find another pair or live with them even though they sound unusual when I walk?

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really impressed with everyone's stories of how they got into AE shoes, and especially of how many they own!

Earlier I said I have 11 AE (or AE-made) pairs of shoes, but in total, I have around 25 pairs of AE-quality shoes/boots including other brands.

I feel like I've been on a shoe and boot buying spree lately, and it's made me hesitate to buy more. But now I see on the seconds list Shoebank sent me that they have the RL Illford boots and Cambridge Burgundy Shell Cordovan shoes in my size... Seeing how many shoes others have, maybe I can justify just a couple more, right? :satisfied:

Last edited:

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
Recently got some rutledges on sale from the shoe bank. There was something different and I'm not sure it's part of their normal design.

When I walk the shoes make a 3 part sound as I place my foot...first the back of the heel, then the front if the heel, and then the sole. Very noticeable when walking on a hard floor.

I placed them on a flat surface and studied them. I noticed that when I pushed down on the back of the shoe the shoe "rocked" and the sole lifted about 3/8". Further study showed that the plane of the heel was at a different level than the plane of the sole.

I checked my other AE shoes (strand, park ave, fifth ave, seneca) and no others did this. Old Bostonians also did not rock.

I checked my other shoes which were European ( Bruno Magli, santoni) and they also rocked and had this non-parallel thing going on (is this a euro thing?).

What are other people's experiences with the Rutledge? Should I try to find another pair or live with them even though they sound unusual when I walk?
I just did a test with my Rutledge, (pushing down on the shoe tree to flatten the heel) and they rock a little also. However, my other 2 pairs from the Independence line (Jefferson & Williams) do the same thing, they rock about the same amount. Also, my McAllisters rock a little bit as do my 2 pairs of Strands. Not all of my AEs rock though. It could be certain lasts cause that shape and the rocking. I would just wear them and enjoy them as they are. I had a squeaky issue with my new Brooks Strands, and I put some powder in the shoe and that alleviated the issue. I am wearing my Rutledge for the first time tomorrow. If I have any issues with mine I will let you know.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Allen Edmond Rutledges from the Independence Line showed up today.They were seconds ordered during this recent sale. I think I paid $249 for them, a good deal considering the retail for them is $445. Below are a few pics of the shoes by themselves. I have one issue with them, but nothing I think is worth sending them back for. On the back where the foxing attaches to the upper, it is a couple of stitches short, or the leather was cut a bit short to be sewn in properly. I don't think this will cause an issue for me though. The shoe trees don't cause this to stretch any, and wearing them doesn't cause any stretching in that area. If need be I could have a local cobbler add a couple of stitches to secure this if it becomes an issue. These pics show the shoes after I have conditioned them and applied a nice shine. I love the burnishing on the shoe and the color variation.

Absolutely beautiful shoes, I have been thinking of grabbing a pair of seconds during this sale too. The only issue is, I'm looking for a true walnut/tan colored shoe, and the walnut Rutledge looks almost chili (and I already have plenty of chili in my collection).

N8ter

Reaction score
My Allen Edmond Rutledges from the Independence Line showed up today.They were seconds ordered during this recent sale. I think I paid $249 for them, a good deal considering the retail for them is $475. Below are a few pics of the shoes by themselves. I have one issue with them, but nothing I think is worth sending them back for. On the back where the foxing attaches to the upper, it is a couple of stitches short, or the leather was cut a bit short to be sewn in properly. I don't think this will cause an issue for me though. The shoe trees don't cause this to stretch any, and wearing them doesn't cause any stretching in that area. If need be I could have a local cobbler add a couple of stitches to secure this if it becomes an issue. These pics show the shoes after I have conditioned them and applied a nice shine. I love the burnishing on the shoe and the color variation.
Those are beautiful - nice shine too. Definitely on my future list especially since I like the 333 last.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those pics may have just sealed me buying a pair of those. Damnit. May be sending my nuemora's back though. Squeak is too annoying.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Allen Edmond Rutledges from the Independence Line showed up today.They were seconds ordered during this recent sale. I think I paid $249 for them, a good deal considering the retail for them is $475. Below are a few pics of the shoes by themselves. I have one issue with them, but nothing I think is worth sending them back for. On the back where the foxing attaches to the upper, it is a couple of stitches short, or the leather was cut a bit short to be sewn in properly. I don't think this will cause an issue for me though. The shoe trees don't cause this to stretch any, and wearing them doesn't cause any stretching in that area. If need be I could have a local cobbler add a couple of stitches to secure this if it becomes an issue. These pics show the shoes after I have conditioned them and applied a nice shine. I love the burnishing on the shoe and the color variation.

Here are a couple of comparisons to show the color difference. The walnut color in the independence line is much darker than the regular burnished walnut.

Top row left to right: Rutldege walnut, Fifth Street brown, Daltons walnut
2nd row left to right: Jefferson walnut, Brooks Strand walnut, Amsterdam McAllister bourbon
3rd row left to right: Parkway walnut, William Williams blk, Strand blk
4th row left to right: McAllister merlot, Patriot merlot, vintage Florsheim merlot
floor left to right: Neumok blue, Banana Republic Blue Suede, Banana Republic blk driver

It is really interesting how the walnut in the Independence line is so much darker than the regular warm walnut color. I do like the variation in the color. The Rutledge is almost a bourbon color. All in all I am very happy with the purchase. These make a nice addition to my collection. Now I am just waiting for 2 pairs of custom Neumoks (one red/white and one all football leather). After that I am set for a while, unless of course I find some I just have to have, which I probably will... ugh. By the way, these have all been purchased in the last year. Is there a support group for those of us addicted?

What'd you do as far as choosing a size for the Rutledge compared to your other AEs? A 9.5 E in the 8 last (Delray, Lasalle) fits me perfectly, so if you happen to own any of those (I think I might see a pair of Delrays [or maybe they're Parkways?] in your collection), what size adjustment if any did you make? If you don't have any 8 last shoes, feel free to compare to whatever other AE models.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just did a test with my Rutledge, (pushing down on the shoe tree to flatten the heel) and they rock a little also. However, my other 2 pairs from the Independence line (Jefferson & Williams) do the same thing, they rock about the same amount. Also, my McAllisters rock a little bit as do my 2 pairs of Strands. Not all of my AEs rock though. It could be certain lasts cause that shape and the rocking. I would just wear them and enjoy them as they are. I had a squeaky issue with my new Brooks Strands, and I put some powder in the shoe and that alleviated the issue. I am wearing my Rutledge for the first time tomorrow. If I have any issues with mine I will let you know.

Glad to hear the powder fixed the problem!

GOP Shoe Guy

Reaction score
What'd you do as far as choosing a size for the Rutledge compared to your other AEs? A 9.5 E in the 8 last (Delray, Lasalle) fits me perfectly, so if you happen to own any of those (I think I might see a pair of Delrays [or maybe they're Parkways?] in your collection), what size adjustment if any did you make? If you don't have any 8 last shoes, feel free to compare to whatever other AE models.
They are all the same size. 12d.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got my Delrays (chili) and McTavish (tan) yesterday. The Delrays are almost perfect, they just have a tiny bit of creasing in the leather on the lateral aspect of the rear of the shoe near the heel on both shoes (right at the heel counter, where I tend to get creases from wear anyway). For $135, this is by far the best value I've ever gotten. These are practically firsts quality. The McTavishes are a slightly different story. I give a reasonable amount of leeway with the rough collection when it comes to the leather of the shoes "matching" each other, but the left shoe is noticeably darker than the right in most areas, with some dark streaking on the top of the right shoe near the toebox. Now to be fair, 99% of people on the street seeing me surely wouldn't even notice, but for ~$200 (even for seconds), I feel like I want the color to match the right shoe (which is lighter and more what I would prefer) a little better.
Send them back. You will be bothered by them every time you wear them, and, then, eventually you will quit wearing them. Spend an extra 125-ish to get firsts. The extra money spent, in the long run, will be irrelevant.

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score
I saw a few pages back someone posted pictures of their 744s (Wolverine but made by AE). I haven't seen the Krause mentioned too much here but I'm in love with both of them. I received the Krause boot first from Krystle in the states and they were very comfortable and wear well in the snow despite having oiled leather soles. I received the 744s from Jay and they immediately replaced the Krause as my favorite pair....they were also my first pair of shell boots and I think I'm hooked... They just feel so substantial...and I just want to look at them when I'm wearing them...and the smell of both boots...that was new to me. The Krause aren't shell but both have a lovely fragrant smell that I've never come across before. Passengers in my car often ask about it...it is that noticeable and pleasant.

Anyway, some pics of both. The Krause had been worn for a month and the 744s were just taken out of the box at the time these were taken.

I have enough boots for now (6 since November...went on a little spree)...the next shoes I get are most likely going to be shell...

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

2 different colored shell on that pair. I have few pairs of shell(6 pairs in total). One old pair of c&j Bradford now showing signs of two different shades. Don't have any AE branded cordovan shoes(yet). I think Alden makes the best cordon shoes. They are much shinier than any other and also since their waxy finish they don't have mismatchig problem.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
2 different colored shell on that pair. I have few pairs of shell(6 pairs in total). One old pair of c&j Bradford now showing signs of two different shades. Don't have any AE branded cordovan shoes(yet). I think Alden makes the best cordon shoes. They are much shinier than any other and also since their waxy finish they don't have mismatchig problem.
This also occurs on my Lindricks.

But the boot is so nice I don't consider it such a big problem.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's just the grain going in different directions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads