1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Price isn't bad either, $195 for a shell belt, I'll take that all day.

2. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

definitely. I paid $150ish for my burgundy one, so I'm tempted to keep it cause it's a "good" deal

3. lostron

lostron Senior member

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

BTW, Brooks Brothers has 25% with FNFBB6, and this code works with AE shoes.

5. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

It kind of looks like the laces are doing their best to keep the shoe fastened on your foot. So yes, they are too narrow. Going down half a size and increasing the width can help- you could also try a 10 EE/EEE.

6. SeanP

SeanP Active Member

Thanks for the reply. So the shoes in the picture are a 10D, should I try an 9.5EE or 9.5EEE next? First time going for wider width and do not have an AE local to visit. Appreciate the help

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yes, buying seconds can be a cost-effective way to expand one's shoe collection. They usually are in the range of 30% off first quality prices, and frequently go on sale. Sometimes, the issue that made them "seconds" is minor (I have a pair of shell Leeds where the insole is turned upside down, so there is no "Allen Edmonds" when you look down on the empty shoe) and sometimes it can be fairly major. However, the good news is you can always return them and try again, if the first pair you try is no good.

Park Ave is a classic design, and the second-highest in formality, completely at home with a suit or even a tux in a pinch). It is also the quintessential business shoe. I have a pair I wear about 5 times per year, and have done so for the past 7 years. At this rate, they will likely need to be resoled in about a decade.

There is currently the thought that black is "boring" on this board and in men's fashion generally. However, this is purely personal preference, and fashion changes over time.

If it came from an outlet store, it is a second unless you specifically ordered a first from the outlet. The way to tell is on the bottom of the shoe, near where the heel meets the sole. If it is a second-quality shoe, there is a shoe-shaped "brand" near where it says "Allen Edmonds." If it is a pair that was worn then returned somewhere, there is a "W" in the same location. If it was worn then returned to Nordstrom, there are two drill holes somewhere in the sole.

Many times, it is tough to see what made them seconds, which is why many here enjoy getting them at a reduced price.

The Lombard is on the 2-last and runs narrow. The Strand and Fifth Ave are on a very different last (#5 last). I would try 10D first, and potentially go to 9.5E or even 10E if necessary.

You may need to contact AE to get custom sized shoes if you like the #5 last (McAllister, Park Ave, 5th Ave, Strand, etc (i.e. one in 11 3E on the left, 11.5 3E on the right). AE will do it, but there is a slight upcharge I believe. Alternatively, you can just get a 11.5 3E and use an aftermarket insole on the left shoe. Unfortunately, I don't have first-hand experience with the Regent Street nor the Fransciscan, so I can't comment on how those lasts fit relative to others.

I take the same size in both, but others sometimes go up .5 with the Macneil. It just depends on your foot.

8. marmot8

marmot8 Well-Known Member

Thanks. I've been looking at the Medallion Perforated Captoe- look like the Strand to me. Can anyone compare the two for me?

If I went Strand I'd go brown burnished calf, brown for the BB.

Last edited: May 8, 2013
  9. SeanP

SeanP Active Member

Was at Brooks Brothers at Uptown in Dallas this weekend and saw a pair of BB Strands. The biggest difference (and only I could) see was the sole as it was not full leather but you couldn't readily see it was a rubber soled shoe. Of course the branding in the shoe was different but the sole was the only cosmetic difference.

-S

10. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Aye, there is no hope once you start down that slippery slope that is shell. The 3 choices that you are considering I have all 3 of them in walnut shell. My personal goal is to acquire a boot, chukka, and shoe all in each color of shell offered by AE. Be careful what you wish for!

11. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

[​IMG]

Walnut Cambridge Today. This pair was my first AE purchase from Amazon in 2010. I am not sure they discontinued this colour or it was just special make up.

12. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

Wow fantastic shade on your dundee! Did you apply shoe polish other than burgundy?

13. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    The edge and welt looks to be polished with "Natural". Am I correct?

(AE Customer Service has recommended "Natural" edge polish for many of my shoes too)

David

14. rangen930

rangen930 Active Member

Just bought my first pair of AEs (McTavish's in cognac). I am really happy with them. They have loosened up after a few days and fit pretty well and I didn't have to do the dance down a half size and increase the width, etc. They also provide more support than my old shoes. There is the slightest imperfection in the double sole but overall I am very happy with these shoes!

Of course now the problem is I feel like I need at least two more pairs. First, I feel like I need a second "daily" pair. I wear button downs and khakis almost religiously. I intend to broaden my dress pant collection but I don't see my colors expanding too much other than getting a nice pair of gray wools. Was thinking of a nice penny loafer (Rancourt, etc.)

Any recommenations for that second daily driver?

Lastly, I wear a suit about 5 times per year (usually to a wedding, a funeral, job interview or an evening social event). Based on searches it seems that some black park avenues would be a no brainer. My current suit is a navy window pane thing. Any suggestions regarding a dress shoe other than the PA that would work for this? I think walnut strands look amazing but would that be wierd in an evening situation.

15. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    Sometimes you need to locate a "personal" sales professional (who knows what he is talking about) to help you make some long distance decisions when there are few resources in your area.

A well-selected personal sales professional for Allen Edmonds will listen to your past and present experiences, sizes, styles, and needs - before contemplating a good recommendation or course of action. And they will offer free shipping to you, and free return shipping if not satisfied - until it gets right.

I found one such professional - who is the Men's Shoe Department Manager at one of the Nordstrom Stores:

Brett Bohlman
    FLS Sales Department Manager | Mens Shoes
    Nordstrom | Spokane
    828 W. Main Ave., Spokane WA 99201-0904
    brett.w.bohlman@nordstrom.com

Brett is a University Graduate from the State of Washington, and has been with Nordstroms for 19 Years with an impressive track record of taking care of customers as well as leading his subordinates.

Because Nordstrom's is a primary retailer of AE, he can also arrange to have shoes drop-shipped to you directly from AE (or sent from any Nordstrom Store).

I suggest you email Brett the photos you have, along with the comments - and then follow up with a phone call. I am confident you will be impressed.

My best,

David

16. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

Maybe I've been spending too much time on these boards, but I believe that for funerals and interviews a fairly plain black balmoral is the right tool for the job. You might consider the Rutledge or Harrison if the Park Avenue doesn't do it for you. The price is higher, but they're both (especially the Harrison) elegant options.

17. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I couldn't help but smile when I saw this picture. I have to get a pair of these one day. You're killing me, ColdIron...but it is the sweetest of deaths.

18. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Stay away from Carmina. I bought one pair this time last year and now I have 5 pair (including a MTO navy shell cordovan directly through Carmina). Carmina's will suck the money straight out of your wallet.

1 person likes this.
  19. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Those Burgundy Dundees are awesome. I have them in cappuccino and they are one of my favorites but I may have to spring for the burgundy shell model soon.

20. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

You ain't kidding! I too bought my first pair of Carminas a year ago (I believe the same pair as you bought, the suede Austerity Brogue), and now have my 5th pair enroute this week. It's a dangerous thing to get into indeed...

The thing is, even though I think Carmina is clearly in a different league than AE, it has not caused me to turn away from AE because AE still represent a good quality-to-price proposition. Carmina has more or less turned me away from Alden though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.