Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Yep I spoken to nice girl Cindy – shoe honored the $130 deal for me ![/QUOTE]

Give me her number NOW!

2. Bexcellence

Bexcellence Senior member

so its like that on all of them?

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For me, yes, because I never get creases like that in the side of my shoes. That's pretty visible. Call and see if they can send you a different one in your size.

4. md2010

md2010 Senior member

^^I get this all the time. I have wide toe and narrow heel. Its like V shaped. All of my shoes creases around that area.It doesn’t bother me either.:D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

5. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Yeah, I actually bought a pair of Black Fifth Avenues to fill the black formal'ish dress shoe gap (Park Avenue was just too boring for me), before noticing the stubby cap toe line. I certainly see the complaint, but still plan on rocking them whenever the time comes.

6. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

It actually doesn't really bother me too much because i would never see it when I have it on (located on the right side of the right shoe). The burnishing is messed up though. I think they have a ton of these in stock so I'd definitely request another one.

[​IMG]

Another question - Normally I'm a 7.5E in the 5-last. I forced a 7.5D order given the latest sale (mcallister, 5 last). I'm at a point where the left foot, although tighter than my normal E width, is still wearable comfortably. The right foot however is really tight around the arch (toe box is not a big issue). Should I expect the leather to loosen up after a break-in period? I'm only hopeful because the left foot is wearable. I also never experience any material difference between left and right foot with any of my other AEs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

7. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I picked up some really nice Augustas in Walnut the bay. Great condition overall, especially after I cleaned and conditioned them and then polished with the AE walnut polish. Beautiful shoes, but the 0 last didn't quite work for me unfortunately. What a shame, because it may be my favorite last for toe shape. Dig it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Those Augusta's are gorgeous. I've always wanted a pair myself.

9. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

just pulled the trigger on the Sanderson, can't wait to get it!

10. tommyhk

tommyhk Active Member

Ended up joining the Dalton club today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might have to go get the Dark Chocolate ones too...

11. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

Just got my Daltons and BB McAllisters from the sale. Daltons seem perfect, except maybe some minor flaws (looks almost like brush strokes) in the burnishing. It isn't noticeable, and my first-quality Strands have a similar issue. They're definitely keepers.

As for the McAllisters, I'm sort of surprised they even sold as seconds. When I first opened them, it was apparent that the wingtip toecap of the right shoe was very poorly matched in color to the rest of the shoe. I had all but decided to return them before I noticed what looked like an excessive buildup of shoe polish on the toecap of the same shoe. Overwhelmed by curiosity as to what this would be doing on a new, untried on shoe, I scrubbed it off with a drop of AE conditioning cleaner and found that they had basically just polished over a scratched and badly discolored spot in the leather. It almost looked like they had cut it with a knife and decided to fix the problem by dripping bleach on it.

Obviously, these are going back. I just hope they have another pair in my size.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

12. CounselorStyle

I forgot to mention, because of the poron insoles, the BB McAllisters also seemed to fit a bit tighter than my non-BB Strands in the same size. I actually prefer it; I have to wear insoles with the Strands to prevent heel slippage with thin socks.

13. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

So the RL Sanderson seconds are on sale for $130, is that correct? I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger on them (already bought the McTavish and a pair of Delrays) if that's the case. Just trying to figure out what size to get . . . how's the fit compared to the 8 or 5 last? I wear a 9.5E in the 8 last and probably a 9E to 9.5E in the 5 last. Thanks.

14. CounselorStyle

The sale actually ended over the weekend and has been supplanted by a much less impressive 15% off sale. The posters above found a nice salesperson somewhere who would still honor the $130 Sanderson price. If interested, you might want to jump on them.

As a follow up, the shoe bank is out of the McAllisters in my size. The salesman advised that I try to find a good shoe shine guy and send them back if he couldn't take care of it. Given the picture above, does repair seem remotely possible? For $130, I could almost go for some sort of redye experiment. I imagine there has to be someone in Manhattan competent for that sort of thing.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2013

15. dcinitial

dcinitial Senior member

I would imagine all a shoe shine guy can do is cover it up with more polish. But would not hurt to ask for their opinion.

Were the Daltons on sale during the RL/BB deal recently? If so how much did they go for if you dont mind my asking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.