Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

These look really nice. Thanks for sharing.

Agreed. A great experience for my purchase as well.

2. spitshine123

spitshine123 Senior member

I would say that the 8 fits .5 size smaller than the 5 last, but the shape is definitely pointier. The 3 last, by far is the longest last... no experience with the 0 though

3. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

I have the parkway (3 last) and the strand (5 last), both in size 10D and the parkway is definitely longer. Not a huge difference, but maybe a quarter inch or so.

4. spitshine123

I agree- I also own the strand and parkways in the same size. The parkways also offer more instep space and more width, so overall it feels much bigger. The difference (for me, at least) is pretty substantial- the Parkway is comfortable for me while my strands are near unwearable

5. N8ter

N8ter Well-Known Member

Also agree with your comments that the Parkway feels roomier width wise in the toe box and are more comfortable. My Strands are not unwearable, but the right shoe was rubbing my little toe raw on my first wear. On my 4th wear today and they are loosening up and aren't hurting anything, but my toes do feel constrained.

6. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

What do you mean by this? The sizing is bad in the #5 finish in your opinion?

7. spitshine123

Every foot is different. For me, I am a 8.5E or 9D. I was not aware of this a few years ago when an AE associate measured me at 8.5D when purchasing my strands. 8.5D in the 3 last parkways is comfortable for me because it is slightly wider at the ball of the foot, is longer and has more instep space. In the 5 last 8.5D, the length is perfect but it is way too narrow for me. I would say for me, 8.5D in the parkways fits similar to a 8.5E in the 5 last.

Again, every foot is different and you should try what works for you

8. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

It's just that I'm a 8.5D like yourself but in the strand #5 last. It fits like a glove.
    However I am not very experienced with different lasts. (I need to start paying more attention)
    I just wanted to know how much sizing changes with different lasts for future reference.

9. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Thanks

Today, Navy Suede Players

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

10. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

11. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Got my sandersons and chili fairfaxes in today. Both are fighting for the title of my favorite pair. Ahh

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Those are definitely some sweet kicks, sir.

I can't wait for some of my most recent AE orders to show up, but, in the meantime, at least I can enjoy my bourbon Strands.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

I really like the shoes. Did you pick these up in the seconds sale?
    Mine should get here by Friday.

That being said, do you think the boot cut jeans was the best option here?

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013

14. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Haha most people are asking me how I got Grammy tickets. Honestly, the person we are going with (my brother and the realtor he uses) has a ton of hookups out there, so Grammy tickets are given to him every year, and I guess he has the same pull with the Leno tickets, however I think those are relatively easy to come by. Looking forward to it, however I hope this snow holds off on Friday morning. New England is not looking very promising right now...

Quality moreso than "Patriotism" but it does feel nice knowing that these shoes are made in the USA and done pretty damn well. The way I see it. $330 on a pair of shoes that will last much much longer than a shoe that costs $100. The leather alone, plus the ability to recraft, will give you 5-10 years out of a shoe. With that being said, it will cost you roughly $500 (figure 1-2 recrafts plus the shoes themselves) over the course of up to 10 years, costing you about $50/year for the shoes potentially. The $100 I spend on (embarrassingly, however I was young) Steve Madden, Kenneth Cole, KC Reaction, Aldo, etc... don't even last a year, or mabye a year. Even if it comes out to the same cost per year, you are getting much higher quality leather, a timeless design that isn't gaudy like Cole Haans current lineup, and a 360 goodyear welted shoe. On top of that, the customer service is the cherry on top. AE treats you like you are buying $1000 shoes, and thats why I have no reason besides sheer curiousity to move up to Alden, Lobb, G&G, etc...
    Even at that rate, I still think AE is much better than your "well" made $150 shoes. Especially Cole Haan... once they started up with Nike, their shoes are blah. The italian made ones are really nice, but for the same price point, I think I would still stick with AE.

15. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

Thanks. They're pretty sweet, I must say.

I actually picked them up full price as a birthday present to myself last month.

Most of the AEs I've ever bought are firsts, mainly because I never really knew about seconds, and there isn't as much in my size as other, more common, ones (I wear a 7D).

As far as the jeans, they aren't bootcut. They're just straight Levi 514s, but I'm not very big (see shoe size above).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.