• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickrut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hoping to get my RL Sandersons today. Still internally debating between them and the Rutledges. Decisions Decisions.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Purchased my first pair of AE shoes this past weekend at Nordstrom Rack (a pair of Hastings in black). I've been wearing Cole Haan's for quite some time now and the quality of the AE's is sooooo much nicer. I look forward to continuing to break them in and enjoy them for years to come. I already use shoe trees but will need to start using quality cleaning and polishing products as well. Next up: a pair of Strands in Walnut :)

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since there seemed to be interest in and tolerance for non-AE boots here, I thought I'd share my most recent purchase and provide some information on a comparable alternative to AE boots.

As I posted earlier, I've been shopping for a winter boot. I was considering the Long Branch, but I ended up going with a pair of Cheaney from England. Just got them today:

I decided my requirements were:

- For use in "urban" snow, slush and rain. i.e.: not looking for a serious hiking boot here
- Commando sole (tired of Dainite and wanted to try something different for snow)
- Goodyear welted
- Easy to get on and off
- Roomy last. This is really important to me, because I want to wear midweight wool socks with them, not dress socks

I'd actually starting thinking about this based on a Tricker's MTO boot that showed up in the Tricker's thread. I ended up browsing the Shoehealer website (Shoehealer is a Tricker's a supplier and is often mentioned on the Tricker's board), as well as a few other English shoe sellers. I ended up purchasing from Shoehealer.

First, on the boots. I was not thinking of getting a boot this tall, but after seeing and talking to Richard at Shoehealer, it seemed like an OK proposition. The speed hooks at the top really make the boot easy to get on and off. The leather is very nice, but thin. There is something about the leather used in British shoes that is different from US shoes, and I've found this to be fairly consistent. The leather is much softer and smoother, particularly the lining. However, while I think it is fine for what I will use these for, I don't think these would have enough support and heft for serious hiking, hunting, sports, etc.

They have a nice, wide toebox, so that in my "normal" size, they are big enough to wear with boot socks. I'm very pleased with the fit. Construction is Goodyear welted, with Veldshoen-type construction forward of the heels. Also very well finished.

I've not taken these out for a spin yet, but looking forward to the next snow!

BTW, these came in just under $400, including shipping. So these are very comparable in price to the AE Dalton, and a little more than the Long Branch. I think the Long Branch, in particular, uses slightly heavier and stiffer leather than these.

Here are a couple more pics, including the goodies that came with the boots. I cannot say enough about Richard at Shoehealer should anyone be interested in English boots or shoes.

Finally, here are some links for anyone interested:
Cheaney web page for these boots: http://www.cheaney.co.uk/country-leisure/125/cheaney-fiennes-country-boots-in-burgundy-grain
Shoehealer website: https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/ (note: lock up your wallet before browsing the "Custom Made Tricker's Gallery"!)

Thanks for posting! Hope you enjoy them!

spitshine123

Reaction score
Contrary to what some are posting here, the shoebank sales associate said that the slaton and sandersons are NOT built on the 2 last, but instead on a RL last that are similar to the 5 last in fit. Can anyone with real life experience with these shoes give a brief description of that the last is like in comparison to the 5 or 8 lasts?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not familiar with this at all. Would you mind explaining why this is so?

In short, it's a different type of leather (horse) that comes from a specific part of the animal and is harder to come by and goes through a different tanning process.

Last edited:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
There is lots of info on the Internet... but basically it's because one horse = one pair of shell shoes. And the tanning process is much more labor intensive.

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

$595. I think they are special order if you don't want brown.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF1645_1_40000000001_-1

That is, if the leather is even available. They (along with the Walnut Cordovan Daltons) were a limited production run around Christmas of 2011, sold under the webgem line. A few folks have been able to secure them after the fact, but I have to believe the leather is mostly gone by now. I know I tried to secure a pair of Cappuccino / Truffle Dundees a few months back and was unable to do so, since they had finally run out of the leather. I think those were sold in the Spring of 2012, for reference.

donjuan17

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In short, it's a different type of leather (horse) that comes from a specific part of the animal and is harder to come by and goes through a different tanning process.

There is lots of info on the Internet... but basically it's because one horse = one pair of shell shoes. And the tanning process is much more labor intensive.

Thanks for this bit of knowledge. Will def look more into it.

md2010

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents, Just called shoe bank. They informed me the RL $130 sale already expired. They are now $259.
What a bummer.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love, love, love. Small tear in the tongue but it is invisible when laced up. Otherwise perfect.

They look outstanding and congrats!!

I think stupid comfortable is the best term I have heard to describe them and I agree. And get more so with age.

whatttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

what other list do you have? they won't acct gift certs with 2nds do they? i have a $100 credit and would buy those in a heartbeat for $273 out of my pocket. do they tell you what is wrong with them?
No they don't say what is wrong with them but you can return them if you don't like them. So your only out a $273 if you don't like them. Don't you have a phone call to make?!?!

Since there seemed to be interest in and tolerance for non-AE boots here, I thought I'd share my most recent purchase and provide some information on a comparable alternative to AE boots.

As I posted earlier, I've been shopping for a winter boot. I was considering the Long Branch, but I ended up going with a pair of Cheaney from England. Just got them today:

Finally, here are some links for anyone interested:
Cheaney web page for these boots: http://www.cheaney.co.uk/country-leisure/125/cheaney-fiennes-country-boots-in-burgundy-grain
Shoehealer website: https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/ (note: lock up your wallet before browsing the "Custom Made Tricker's Gallery"!)
That is, if the leather is even available. They (along with the Walnut Cordovan Daltons) were a limited production run around Christmas of 2011, sold under the webgem line. A few folks have been able to secure them after the fact, but I have to believe the leather is mostly gone by now. I know I tried to secure a pair of Cappuccino / Truffle Dundees a few months back and was unable to do so, since they had finally run out of the leather. I think those were sold in the Spring of 2012, for reference.
Dead Nuts on all points, nice job.

The only reason I did not jump on them is that I've recently developed an illness where I prefer my longwings to be shell. Antibiotics don't seem to have any affect.
To add to the description of shell this sums it up nicely IMO.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very nice. I'm waiting for Oakstreet Bootmakers to come out with that sole in a natural CXL cap toe and speed laces just like that. Must resist.....

Which is why I sat on the sidelines during this recent sale. You guys made it tough with all your posts about the deals you scored!

This is my fourth (4th!) boot purchase since the holidays started, including 2 AE-made Here's the next one I'm trying to resist (don't click unless you want to lose more money...):

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=50&shoeid=4506

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads