Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  2. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Seconds don't come with them, but you can buy them. A few years ago, AE seconds came with bags. A few years before that, all AEs came with the cloth instead of bags.

3. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Many times the 1st quality shoes at the outlets are discontinued models. I got lucky a couple of yrs ago with 1st quality Tresana from the Italian 'Seven' line sold at disco'd price (just over $200 for a shoe that sold for $595 originally).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I typically inspect the 2nds before purchase and have asked for a different pair once [maybe] twice. However in all the other cases of AE FActory 2nds (half dozen pair in as many yrs) I've never found anything on the shoe that would prohibit me from buying it. I keep looking at the shell 2nds but haven't bit the bullet yet.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  4. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I've not seen shoe bags in the boxes and I've purchased 3-4 pairs of seconds. They are only like $10 if you really want them.

5. Khurram

Khurram Active Member

Both of my seconds that I purchased from the shoe bank recently came with the maroon colored cloth bags.

6. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

My sz 11D should be an Lg shoe tree but I found the XL fits better in some of my high volume shoes, especially boots. So I now have a mostly Lg's with 3 pair of XL's.

7. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

That's very nice, I guess it's really up to the SA.

8. blsing

blsing Well-Known Member

I guess you can always slip it into the convo as youre ordering and say "do these come with the shoe bags?" They'll probably just say they'll throw it in for you as a "favor", since they work off commission, and they want you to bring back more business and ask for them.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  9. Mr. Moo

Mr. Moo Boxercise Toughguy

E honored their pricing for me in the shell Bradley price mistake issue. Very nice of them - now I hope they fit.

10. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

The last pair I ordered (Malverns) had shoe bags too. I've ordered a bunch from the shoe bank and have never received shoe bags before so perhaps they've changed their policy? Or maybe I just got lucky with this order.
    Fred

11. ludakrishna

ludakrishna Member

If any of you live in the Philadelphia area, drop by the Sherman Brother shoe store in Havertown. I just picked up some Walnut McAllister and Black Park Ave for $232/ea.

12. Barroomheroes

Barroomheroes Well-Known Member

Nordstrom Rack in Costa Mesa (accross from South Coast Plaza) has a very good selection of new AE's right now.. $149-$219...

13. Khurram

Khurram Active Member

FWIW the rep at shoebank told me that seconds do not usually come with shoe bags but that he included two sets of them for me for the two pairs I ordered. I inquired about the shoe bags after my order had already shipped from the store. The WI shoe bank has incredible customer service. I believe the gentleman I spoke with was Jeff.

14. Testudo_Aubreii

Testudo_Aubreii Senior member

Hey there, rm. I am definitely interested in a shell Fifth Street! I think there are some AAACers interested, as well. People have been mentioning that on the AAAC AE custom thread.

I see one problem, though. The Fifth Street, even though on the 5 last, seems to run longer than 5 last shoes in the same size. I just measured the Fifth Street in 9.5 that I'm currently sizing, against a 9.5 Park Ave. In the upper, the Fifth Street was at least half a centimeter longer than the PA upper, measuring from the outer edge of the upper's heel to the tip of the upper's toe. This may partly be due to the fact that the Fifth Street's heel is much more scalloped than the Park Ave's relatively flat heel. But I think it may also be longer in the toe, as well. The 9.5 Fifth Street feels long on me, while the 9.5 Park Ave feels normal to short.

Anyone else had these sizing issues in the Fifth Street?

The dark brown Fifth Street is quite nice, stylistically speaking. The toe cap is set back farther than on a PA or Fifth Ave.. Also, at least in the brown Fifth Street, the stitching in the welt is less noticeable than in a black PA. You might almost confuse it with the recessed channel stitching used by C&J or Alden on their city shoes, unless you looked carefully.

15. csc67

csc67 Senior member

Has anyone experienced the size difference between the AE Park Avenue and Fifth Avenue even though they are on the same last?

Is the AE Strand sizing closer to the Park Avenue or Fifth Avenue?

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.