Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Lombard is no longer offered, but you may find them (and possibly some Players) at the outlets.

Current blucher wingtips are MacNeil, Larchmont (both longwings), Williams (longwing from the Independence Collection), Banchory, and Aberdeen (two from the Rough Collection).

Chris

2. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

For what its worth, i base the fit of my shoes off of where the crease lays in my step. If it is too close to the toe box, I'll go up a half size. I have learned that different shoes have different toe boxes, so whether you have a half inch or a full inch, its more important that the shoe is bending where it is designed to bend.

3. evolved

evolved Senior member

Sorry, I was thinking sole edge and wrote welt for some reason. I'm referring to lightening the sole edge of the Dundee.

4. elbastardocalvo

elbastardocalvo Senior member

The Dalton, too, if you are looking for a boot.

5. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

E Hale Monday!

[​IMG]

6. cfrp

cfrp Well-Known Member

They are all long wings no? Why don't they offer a non long wing anymore? Wasn't popular?

7. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

I would think sizing up in length would be more likely to cause the shoe to crease at or beyond the toe cap.

8. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Huh? I think you have it backwards.

My 9.5D strands crease right at the brogueing at the cap, which I'm not to happy about but it isn't that bad.
    My other 10D strands crease right in the middle of the vamp... which is perfect.

9. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

The longer the shoe extends beyond your toes, the more likely it is to bend in multiple and unnatural places. It's why you see such bad creasing when someone has a shoe that is way too long for them (because they sized up too much to get their foot into a too narrow last).

10. jjr4884

jjr4884 Senior member

Ahh I know what you mean. I was speaking in reference to the crease from the ball of your foot only. I know what you are talking about, however if your shoe is properly fitted, and the crease across the vamp looks good, having half to a full inch of room in the toebox isn't as much a concern as having the ball of your foot where it belongs on the shoe.

11. CounselorStyle

CounselorStyle Well-Known Member

I just ordered a pair of walnut Daltons at the seconds sale. I'm now wondering if the dark brown would have been far more versatile (to be worn with everything from khakis and jeans to odd trousers).

Thoughts?

12. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Correct, those are all long-wings, with the exception of the Dalton (like elbastardocalvo pointed out). Of course the Dalton (and Long Branch for that matter) is a boot, if you are in the market for that. The Player's shoe is still pretty easy to find if that last fits you. I think it is a beautiful shoe. There was some complaining lately that they need to expand their wingtip options beyond the couple of balmorals that are available. Maybe their Spring 2013 collection will have something.

13. MoneyWellSpent

I think the conservative answer would be that the dark brown would be more versatile.

14. MoneyWellSpent

Even though the dark brown is more versatile, it still has to be handled on a case by case basis. Your wardrobe as a whole needs to be taken into account, and the Walnut is a fantastic color if you have room for it in your collection.

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thanks for the responses, guys. I think I much prefer something with a lower profile like the Harbour to something with a more pronounced sole and heal like the Eastports. No offense, but the Eastports look a tad more "old man"ish for some reason. Sort of the same difference between Sperry's Authentic Original and their Billfish.

I noticed the Eastports are handsewn and the Harbour are cemented. Do you anticipate a big difference in quality between the two?

Also, did you size down for AE boat shoes? I tried on Sperry's at a store and the size 8 seemed more appropriate than my usual 8.5.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.