• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question regarding F2/ShoeBank returns: is it a hard & fast rule that they charge the $25 return/restock fee, or is it possible to call into CS and ask nicely for a courtesy return?
The new policy is to send a photo/video of yourself throwing the shoes in the trash and then they add 17 points to your collector account.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was trying to improve my polishing skills this week on these walnut Bartlett shoes (trying to make my shoes look like @AEShoeMan). It's a little more of a challenge on the Indy leather. But what I wanted to ask you guys is, what is the minimum amount of time you leave the wax on to dry? I can't seem to get good results unless I leave it on for 3-4 hours. I usually apply it in the evening and then let it sit overnight. Even though I rarely wear these right now, they are still among my favorites. Another true gem that Charleston found for me. I miss you, Charleston people.

IMG_20221208_161143415.jpg

IMG_20221208_161200770.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was trying to improve my polishing skills this week on these walnut Bartlett shoes (trying to make my shoes look like @AEShoeMan). It's a little more of a challenge on the Indy leather. But what I wanted to ask you guys is, what is the minimum amount of time you leave the wax on to dry? I can't seem to get good results unless I leave it on for 3-4 hours. I usually apply it in the evening and then let it sit overnight. Even though I rarely wear these right now, they are still among my favorites. Another true gem that Charleston found for me. I miss you, Charleston people.

View attachment 1865690
View attachment 1865691
On my Indie’s, I let it dry for about a minute. But, if your method works, why try to change it.
2BCFE7BD-7E21-4B22-AB64-E825C6086C77.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1865690
View attachment 1865691

I don't know what the Indy leather is, so I can't tell you exactly how to work with that.

But if you want to get the highest shine possible, this is how I work starting from scratch.

1x layer of cream polish. Allow dry five minutes, then brush, then buff off with a drop of water.

Then I apply 3x levels of Saphir pate de luxe wax polish. Each time, I do not brush: I use a few drops of water and buff with a cotton cloth. I wait about 2-3 minutes for drying. One of these layers goes over the whole shoe, the other two just on the heels/toes/sole edge (if leather - this doesn't work on rubber). These layers should be thin, though the first layer can be slightly thicker.

Then I go over the shoe with a nylon stocking, bringing the buff up real nice.

Then I take some mirror gloss, or more pate de luxe, and I go over the toe and heel and sole edge.

After the third layer, I go over the entire shoe again with a thin layer of pate de luxe. I let this dry for five minutes (while I go wash my hands and anything else that got polish on it). Then I buff with a drop of water.

EDIT: I forgot to add that this last step - the thin layer of pate de luxe over the entire shoe - should be done WHILE THE MIRROR GLOSS is still applied. That is, you do not buff off the last layer of mirror gloss before you put on the pate de luxe. The first two layers are buffed, the third is kept on, the pate de luxe applied, wait for it to dry, then buff.

The reason is the pate de luxe has solvents that help to break down the mirror gloss a bit more. Basically, you're mixing both products here for maximal results. I got this suggestion from Kirby Allison's channel and I find that it does, in fact, work beautifully.

Finally, I once more go over the shoes with a nylon stocking.

If necessary, the next day I put on a few more layers of polish if I am not satisfied, but generally I don't need to: My shoes look shiny as hell at this point.

Last edited:

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @JFWR & Shoenut. You guys both answered my question if it's okay to buff while the wax is still sticky. I've been watching Youtube videos on it and the biggest mistake I was making for years was buffing too hard. I learned that buffing like it's an egg has given me better results. Still a work a progress...

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @JFWR & Shoenut. You guys both answered my question if it's okay to buff while the wax is still sticky. I've been watching Youtube videos on it and the biggest mistake I was making for years was buffing too hard. I learned that buffing like it's an egg has given me better results. Still a work a progress...

It's better to go fast than hard.

What makes the wax melt is friction. Friction is achieved not by bearing down, which will just wipe all of it off, but by speed which causes heat. You don't want TONS of heat, though, and you want the water to help lubricate and mix with the waxes to produce the gloss.

As an example, take your hand and put it on your arm. Now rub it back and forth really fast. You will notice that even with light pressure, that you get heat pretty quickly. If you do it too hard, though, you're going to give yourself a rug burn. Your shoes are also skin. They react similarly, but in this case, with wax.

The nylon also just does a wonderful job smoothing out the finish of the wax.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know what the Indy leather is, so I can't tell you exactly how to work with that.

But if you want to get the highest shine possible, this is how I work starting from scratch.

1x layer of cream polish. Allow dry five minutes, then brush, then buff off with a drop of water.

Then I apply 3x levels of Saphir pate de luxe wax polish. Each time, I do not brush: I use a few drops of water and buff with a cotton cloth. I wait about 2-3 minutes for drying. One of these layers goes over the whole shoe, the other two just on the heels/toes/sole edge (if leather - this doesn't work on rubber). These layers should be thin, though the first layer can be slightly thicker.

Then I go over the shoe with a nylon stocking, bringing the buff up real nice.

Then I take some mirror gloss, or more pate de luxe, and I go over the toe and heel and sole edge.

After the third layer, I go over the entire shoe again with a thin layer of pate de luxe. I let this dry for five minutes (while I go wash my hands and anything else that got polish on it). Then I buff with a drop of water.

Finally, I once more go over the shoes with a nylon stocking.

If necessary, the next day I put on a few more layers of polish if I am not satisfied, but generally I don't need to: My shoes look shiny as hell at this point.
And I can attest that his shoes SHINE!!!

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
To be fair, my "long" work night was really just two focus group monitoring sessions from 4:00 - 9:00, the bulk of which I entertained myself by thinking about ninjas, tacos, and Caddyshack quotes all while behaving like my standard jackass-y self on our internal chat board.

"Oh, this your wife, huh? A lovely lady. Hey baby, you must’ve been something before electricity."

1670553860224.png

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good thing these Freeport boots are weatherproof, otherwise I would have been in for a world of hurt walking down the driveway and taking the dog out to drop a load that might have just put the entire planet on a different orbit. Of course, that might help get rid of the snow or it might plunge us all into an icy Armageddon. I'll just have to wait and see what happens.

It's also a good thing that I'm not wearing any kind of oxford shoe with these chinos, lest the wrath of the Style Gods direct their anger upon me. It's an even better thing that I'm not wearing an oxford shoe with a lug sole, because you can get yourself beaten with a wet noodle in some parts of the world when you do that.

In other words, I think I made the right choices today. Might as well pack it in and start the weekend early!

IMG_6411.jpg

Radboots

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time in the thread and beginning my AE journey! Just got in a pair of CXL Freeports and I know there are some enthusiasts here. I didn't do any customizations - standard lugged sole.

1) Is really quick creasing within spec for CXL in the current AE weatherproof line of CXL? Haven't worn out of the house yet but with just a bit of wear around the house for fit noticing lots of creasing along the shaft of the boot on the outside on both. Same, but less pronounced at the toe.

2) I know some have had an issue with heel rocking, etc with this boot with replacement soles. I clearly don't have anything like the previous posts on the issue but I do notice when I stand in them or walk I feel the heel portion of the sole of both boots pushing more on my foot than the remainder - like that the heel is lifted somewhat. It isn't uncomfortable, but it is noticeable while walking that I haven't experienced with other shoes or boots. Fit is great otherwise.

Wanted to check on this stuff before I take them outside and get out of return ability.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads