• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do y’all think of this? Is this on the normal spectrum?

Left Boot
10F940B5-CAF9-4264-83D6-F018AE619108.jpeg
F471B590-46E0-4993-8A3E-5BEC93E13890.jpeg

Right Pair
F7C1E50D-67E1-4449-95A4-0DA96EFC4909.jpeg
EB2091D7-72F3-4C58-946C-30759B46308C.jpeg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do y’all think of this? Is this on the normal spectrum?

Left Boot
View attachment 1864889 View attachment 1864890

Right Pair
View attachment 1864892 View attachment 1864891

No, not normal! From my experience, this will never correct itself and you will always feel the ledge of the new fulcrum that is created. A few SAs (and a trustworthy cobbler) have said the same. I went through this with my TS Freeports. At first, AE attempted to fix it by replacing the heels. Unfortunately, I believe this is a lasting issue. Fortunately they agreed to remake them - though with what I would call an unnecessary amount of reluctance considering the product they delivered.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say. Last I inquired, it was split roughly 70-30.

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, not normal! From my experience, this will never correct itself and you will always feel the ledge of the new fulcrum that is created. A few SAs (and a trustworthy cobbler) have said the same. I went through this with my TS Freeports. At first, AE attempted to fix it by replacing the heels. Unfortunately, I believe this is a lasting issue. Fortunately they agreed to remake them - though with what I would call an unnecessary amount of reluctance considering the product they delivered.

I will be interested to hear what others have to say. Last I inquired, it was split roughly 70-30.
Oh for sure not acceptable...I. would send them back in a heartbeat...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you checked the pair numbers on the uppers? I mean is that even a pair of Dalton or is it a left from one pair and a right from another? Hmmm

I mean. They made this pair for me since they don’t stock shell cordovan in my size.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean. They made this pair for me since they don’t stock shell cordovan in my size.
I believe this is where really stupid stuff happens. Like my last TS pair. Each boot has a different pair number on it. Usually when a pair is made, both right and left have the same number that shows that it is indeed a pair. My TS took a long time, it looks like my right and left were cut on different days for one reason or another. Your boots don’t seem to have the same sole shape. Just plain weird.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe this is where really stupid stuff happens. Like my last TS pair. Each boot has a different pair number on it. Usually when a pair is made, both right and left have the same number that shows that it is indeed a pair. My TS took a long time, it looks like my right and left were cut on different days for one reason or another. Your boots don’t seem to have the same sole shape. Just plain weird.

The pair numbers are the same. Also, the welt stitching is kinda rough.

D38ED4C5-E31C-418B-B061-91D304CFDEE3.jpeg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like my LandSharks are going back to get checked out. There is an area of shark leather that appears to be defective.
You might remember that I had to send my LandSharks back for repair earlier this year. There was a section of loose grain (the thin upper layer had separated from the main leather) and it was cracking. They did some sort of repair to this and sent them back.

81DD8F1E-6499-41BE-B2B9-1BBEC449E83D.jpeg

Whatever repair they did looked OK, although the grain of the shark leather was less pronounced in that area. I wore them a few more times over the summer.

As I mentioned recently, I have been wearing a pair of Red Wings most days since the beginning of October. It’s an experiment to see how they will patina within six months. So I only wear my other boots and shoes for occasions where I need something dressier.

A few days ago I had such an occasion and reached for the LandSharks. GRRR…. I was very disappointed to see that the repair was only temporary.

I am so upset. It’s not like they can just swap them out for another pair.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More Dalton love today 😁 I’m hearing that these may go away next year, and by looking at the pricing of them lately, it seems like that may just happen. I have two pair…these and a pair in brown shell. I may have to get one more before they’re unavailable.

View attachment 1864788
I hope the Dalton doesn’t go away. It’s only of only two (Hamilton?) boots available with a full range of sizes and widths.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might remember that I had to send my LandSharks back for repair earlier this year. There was a section of loose grain (the thin upper layer had separated from the main leather) and it was cracking. They did some sort of repair to this and sent them back.

View attachment 1864950

Whatever repair they did looked OK, although the grain of the shark leather was less pronounced in that area. I wore them a few more times over the summer.

As I mentioned recently, I have been wearing a pair of Red Wings most days since the beginning of October. It’s an experiment to see how they will patina within six months. So I only wear my other boots and shoes for occasions where I need something dressier.

A few days ago I had such an occasion and reached for the LandSharks. GRRR…. I was very disappointed to see that the repair was only temporary.

I am so upset. It’s not like they can just swap them out for another pair.

Honestly, they need to just remake your shoes for you, dude. This is complete BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads