• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree, the Dalton’s design could be improved. The vamp and wings are imbalanced, which seems like an easy fix that AE could make. However, my Daltons are in a EEE width, which oddly enough makes the vamp look slightly more balanced.

The other complaints I have with the Dalton are the eyelets being spaced too far apart, and the heel being too loose due to the straight heel design as opposed to the curved heel of the Higgins Mill.

My pair is also an EEE as well, but I don't see the eyelets as being too far apart. I think that on my feet, the eyelets are pretty on point. It is still really a solid boot, it just doesn't fit my tastes as well as other patterns. But heck... can't get chili shell from Alden.

jcreadeur

Honest Abe
Reaction score
First wear for these Chili Shell Dalton’s. Definitely more comfortable and less breaking in vs the leather. Also a tad more room on my feet then leather.

I’ll try and get some pics to compare against the marbled chili and color 4
6739F0C4-9083-4E72-99AD-29697B8DB65D.jpeg

TNshoefan

Reaction score
My pair is also an EEE as well, but I don't see the eyelets as being too far apart. I think that on my feet, the eyelets are pretty on point. It is still really a solid boot, it just doesn't fit my tastes as well as other patterns. But heck... can't get chili shell from Alden.

Comparing my shell Dalton to my Alden shell boots, I feel the Dalton is overall a better constructed boot, even though I prefer the design and fit of my Aldens. Dalton has the JR double soles, the gold standard, while Alden’s is ambiguously sourced. I also find the leather lining on my Dalton to be much nicer than on my Aldens, especially under the tongue.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Now that I actually have these side by side with a different wingtip boot, I understand why I don’t really care for them compared to others. It’s like, the wing doesn’t come as far back and it is more on the side instead of the top of the vamp. The Daltons are nice, but I strongly prefer the “busier” pattern of these Sir Walter boots.

View attachment 1862829 View attachment 1862830

I think both are handsome.

I am a fan of my Daltons. They are comfortable, well constructed, and sexy.

Those other brogued derby boots are nice as hell too, though.

dpgaloot

Reaction score
It makes me happy to see my favorite boot being discussed. One reason I love AE is that I don't have a lot of other options given my 14EEE size. Lack of options will probably explain owning 1 pair of Daltons. Only love can explain the 8 I currently own, by far the highest quantity of any AE model in my collection.

My favorite boots are:
  1. Dalton
  2. First Ave.
  3. Eagle County
  4. Freeport
  5. Patton
  6. Landon
  7. HM
I think the size I wear helps the Dalton, and makes the Landon and HM look like oil tankers. I still wear them, but that's a mighty big boot. No booths in restaurants wearing those, I'll bruise everyone else's shins.

Caper Freeports today.

Freeport_Caper_3_25.jpg

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Second wear of these. Definitely more comfortable than they were yesterday. Looking forwards to getting to sit down next week and clean up that errant spot on the toe.

Attachments

• 9C588874-A568-440E-8C55-773152616741.jpeg
    9C588874-A568-440E-8C55-773152616741.jpeg
    469.5 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads