• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I took my regular size 9eee. Not sure on the lining but it’s a hell of a lot better than my slippers from Lands End.

Interesting. I have super low volume feet, wear 65 in 9D, and brannock ~9.5 'C & a half'... tried these in both 9.5D and 10D. Only the 10D felt like it might work width/volume-wise, but even that seemed so tight that I could not slide my foot in and out as you would slippers.

Are you wearing them like warm shoes? Or more like slippers? Does the lining flatten down substantially with wear? I really wanted them to work, but afraid they need to go back.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. I have super low volume feet, wear 65 in 9D, and brannock ~9.5 'C & a half'... tried these in both 9.5D and 10D. Only the 10D felt like it might work width/volume-wise, but even that seemed so tight that I could not slide my foot in and out as you would slippers.

Are you wearing them like warm shoes? Or more like slippers? Does the lining flatten down substantially with wear? I really wanted them to work, but afraid they need to go back.
The lining flattens somewhat. Bare feet I have a lot of heel slip, average thickness dress socks are pretty good and thick ones make them feel to short.

I think if they had used a more flexible sole it would have been better. It’s a hard fit when you have a loafer with a “shearling” lining. But for $75 I can’t complain. Great for around the house, running out to get mail and so forth.
image.jpg

CommanderMcBragg

Reaction score
Gentlemen:

A while back I mentioned this pair of the Strand in the limited 100th Anniversary "Hickory" finish that I somehow missed earlier in the year, but I nabbed on sale for $159 a few weeks ago. The only issue is that they are a full size down from my normal size, but one width wider. After a StyleForum member was generous enough to send me a shoe-stretching device, I invested in a bottle of liquid meant to aid in stretching, and I got to it.

After a few applications on each shoe, they have gotten to the point where they are *just* in the range of where I can walk around with them on the area rug while wearing the thinnest nylon socks I have, and the fit is acceptable. They don't feel like my normal size pairs of the Strand do, but they seem ok.

Somehow I cannot bring myself to maidening them (maiden voyage) because something in my head tells me not to. Ten minutes into wearing them out in the wild as opposed to taking baby steps on the living room area rug, will I decide I cannot endure wearing them for a full day? Thus, the resale value would be cut in half. Will my correct size pop up on Shoe™Bank®? Not likely that AE will be getting returns on these Strand Hicks at this late juncture, I figure.

For those of you who have stretched new shoes, is this a fool's gold of sorts, where they will eventually shrink back to their original size? First-world problems, I tell ya.

Just look at these bathing beauties:

IMG_2078.jpg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Technohorse. The shoes didn't take dye that someone sent to elegant Oxford for patina.

Ultra refined means corrected. That's my take.

That’s super disappointing. I don’t mind corrected-grain offerings, and AE has done this over the years many times. I really dislike if they get rid of full-grain entirely, though. AE has been a great entry point for quality footwear. For many, that means collecting at least a couple classic-line shoes and pivoting to sneakers, shell, suede, or wherever else. If AE stops making classic-line (or any???) full-grain shoes, i and many others would have to recommend that newly interested collectors begin elsewhere for a classic shoe (e.g., cobbler Union, Thursday, meermin).

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold, windy, and chilly 20-degree day for me. Gonna get a batch of chili going in a bit, so it can simmer for a few hours. Since I'll probably end up with some chili on my shirt at some point, I figure I might as well have some chili on my feet. Thick socks and the weatherproof lining make these a bit tighter than I'd prefer, but still a really great boot.

IMG_6401.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That’s super disappointing. I don’t mind corrected-grain offerings, and AE has done this over the years many times. I really dislike if they get rid of full-grain entirely, though. AE has been a great entry point for quality footwear. For many, that means collecting at least a couple classic-line shoes and pivoting to sneakers, shell, suede, or wherever else. If AE stops making classic-line (or any???) full-grain shoes, i and many others would have to recommend that newly interested collectors begin elsewhere for a classic shoe (e.g., cobbler Union, Thursday, meermin).

I don't know if it's always this way. I don't know why they'd get rid of full grain on all colours when they've sold them this way for years.

But someone did get burgundy on the park and it wouldn't be dyed at all.

I forgot which poster it was.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
Finally have my natty shell Higgins in hand. Are they perfect? No. But I still love them. The spot on the toe is a tiny bit bothersome but I’m betting that’s from the burnishing. Once I’m back in the same state as my shoe care trove I’ll likely be able to get that out. I’ll wear these in good health for a few days then likely add a toppy. Wanted the double JR for comfort but I’m quickly learning how long ice/snow sticks around in my new home state. Wouldn’t want to have these gathering dust for months at a time during boot season.

Attachments

• E16A79E5-3BEE-4330-8C7F-E585C4C0E445.jpeg
    E16A79E5-3BEE-4330-8C7F-E585C4C0E445.jpeg
    229.7 KB · Views: 32
  • DC160A96-7D7E-48F4-8CED-9747527CFB88.jpeg
    DC160A96-7D7E-48F4-8CED-9747527CFB88.jpeg
    312.3 KB · Views: 29
  • B133AA70-AA30-4750-A296-4F62903D9D8A.jpeg
    B133AA70-AA30-4750-A296-4F62903D9D8A.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 31
  • 0B07515E-3301-4711-9CE1-9A3798A9AC68.jpeg
    0B07515E-3301-4711-9CE1-9A3798A9AC68.jpeg
    225.2 KB · Views: 41

DawgPound

Reaction score
Wearing midnight navy Fifth Aves today. Haven’t worn these in over 6 months…or much of any standard dress shoe due to my ankle injury. Boots have been good due to the extra support they offer. Finally able to wear most of my collection now, so I’m starting to bring some like these back into the rotation. Happy hump day folks!
E5FC340A-FAE2-4EF7-A810-AA1028DCD4E9.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads