• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have no problem with logos on the bottom of my soles, as of course, who the hell is going to look at your soles anyway?

If you replace 'soles' with 'shin' you'd have the same point attempting to be made. 🤝

Lil Wayne's moral standing pushed aside (I have no real firm position on whether he is a good or bad person morally) he looks crass.
I know all those Givenchy track suits can look the same but... I'm 99% sure that's not Lil Wayne 🤣

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you replace 'soles' with 'shin' you'd have the same point attempting to be made. 🤝

The difference is that the logo on the Allen Edmonds boot is, in a sense, made to be seen. Even if it won't be seen as you probably are going to cover it up, it's placed to be a very visible branding identifier. In contrast, the leather sole mark of JR soles is literally meant to be rubbed away in a few wears.

I know all those Givenchy track suits can look the same but... I'm 99% sure that's not Lil Wayne 🤣

Damn....I really am old. I have no idea who that guy is and I thought he was Lil Wayne. Christ. Okay.

pbrandes

Reaction score
If I am not mistaken, the shoe maker here doesn't like JR soles because of the logo. Admittedly, I have no problem with logos on the bottom of my soles, as of course, who the hell is going to look at your soles anyway?

Actually according to Queen Weasel Ashley it was never a case of AE not liking the JR logo. They use JR soles on shell but won't offer them as a customization option on other leather models because all the JR soles they get are also stamped with "Genuine Horween Shell Cordovan." If they put those on non-shell shoes sooner or later they'd be accused of misleading consumers about their product.

IMG_5902 (1).jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually according to Queen Weasel Ashley it was never a case of AE not liking the JR logo. They use JR soles on shell but won't offer them as a customization option on other leather models because all the JR soles they get are also stamped with "Genuine Horween Shell Cordovan." If they put those on non-shell shoes sooner or later they'd be accused of misleading consumers about their product.

View attachment 1839956

You misunderstood me.

There's a guy here who is a retired Bespoke maker. I forgot his screen name.

Edit: It's @DWFII.

He didn't like JR soles because he felt it advertised something other than himself on his shoes. That and he prefers Barker's, as he thinks those were less brittle, and therefore lasted even longer.

Also, AE must buy their JR soles through Horween, then, because I have JR soles without the Genuine Shell Cordovan stuff on it when I've gotten things resoled.

Last edited:

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Wednesday forum pals. I was cleaning out some old images and stumbled on this one made some years back when I lived in California. A round-up of shell MacNeils for @EdwardWilson. Blue, bourbon, burgundy, brown and natural. It's sad to think of all of the additional material "wasted" to make them.

IMG_4671.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Happy Wednesday forum pals. I was cleaning out some old images and stumbled on this one made some years back when I lived in California. A round-up of shell MacNeils for @EdwardWilson. Blue, bourbon, burgundy, brown and natural. It's sad to think of all of the additional material "wasted" to make them.

View attachment 1840046
Just pay your waste credits and go on with life.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we have to make a distinction between the phrase gentleman and its use in two separate senses:

Gentleman as exhibiting a certain social prestige based on lifestyle (clothes, money, land, etc).

Gentleman as a moral ideal.

I am not trying to sound too hoighty-toighty but the phrase gentleman has meant both of these things from as far back as Aristotle, and in Aristotle, the second could only follow from the first as a gentleman is capable of doing moral things that a non-gentleman can't because they lack the resources. For instance, being "great of soul" (magnanimous) can only come about if you have the material fortune to back such up.

Nevertheless, I was primarily suggesting that a tag is ungentlemanly as it comes off as bad taste. In that sense, I am directly addressing the aesthetic/social idea, not the moral idea. You can be Plato himself and I'd say the move lacks taste.

As for the Givenchy track suit situation: Here the term asshole doesn't make a moral appraisal, either. Lil Wayne's moral standing pushed aside (I have no real firm position on whether he is a good or bad person morally) he looks crass. I know some people live for looking crass, but I think it is reasonable to call that look out as being low-brow and gross. It's an aesthetic judgement, and God knows those aren't absolute, but it's worth making.

Whatever theoretical/cultural/philosophical/anthropological gymnastics you wish to perform in order to justify your viewpoint is fine if it helps you sleep at night feeling you've achieved the high ground. I would just counter with, when considering the two senses of gentleman you've outlined above, only one of them appears to me to be worthy of aspiration. Using the Socratic Method, I'm able to deduce that you and I fundamentally disagree on which one that is.

You could be Pythagoras himself and I'd tell you that the logic behind your starting point doesn't add up to the social prestige to which you feel entitled using to judge others' sartorial choices. Especially on a brand enthusiast page (as long as none of the branding is visible in any way, shape, or form, I guess, except for JR branding on a sole, which is OK, I guess?).

Since by now we've established I'm not, and never will be, a gentleman in the aforementioned first sense, I'll toss aside any aspirations of achieving any sort of moral ideal because Aristotle told me that moral behavior can only follow from unlocking Primary Gentleman Mode in this grand game of life. Hopefully, I'll get a cheat code when the next version releases on PlayStation.

Trying not to look like an asshole today by wearing wrinkly old bastard OG Higgins Mill boots in dark brown CXL. (Not to be confused with Ol' Dirty Bastard wearing a brown, velour, branded tracksuit as seen here that makes him look like an asshole when compared to Platonic ideal.)

Glad nobody can see the TWO brand images on the sole of these as both AE and Dainite are whoring themselves out visually to the lowest common denominator.

IMG_6248.jpg

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Disagree. This is the appropriate footwear for a runaway groom. Or, on the off-chance that there's a fire in the theater during an opera. Don't underestimate the size of either of those markets.
I don’t really want to go to an opera; the fire might be more interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads