• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Immensely helpful. Do you find yourself wearing the natural pair with darker pants often? They seem like a more casual, summer wearing shoe.
Yes mostly lighter because I wear mostly lighter trousers in summer (and put all loafers away in cooler weather).
But SF rules notwithstanding, you can pull off light shoes under dark trousers with the right atty-tude. 😉Below sand suede Randolphs under navy seersucker

E906E8D4-FC2E-4785-8C4A-A94870027947.jpeg .

Goat30i

Reaction score
Since several others are rocking their Daltons for WTW, here are mine that I’m wearing today.
View attachment 1837623
I’m about to head out the door for a conference in Tucson and then a freak storm hits. It is pouring right now, but is sunny outside!
When did AE cease properly finishing the edge of the upper near the eyelets (part nomenclature isn't coming to me--shaft?). That raw edge look so unfinished compared to my older Daltons. Also, noticed on a recent Dalton, that the lining isn't completely tucked . . .thought I was getting seconds, but think that is just how they build them now??

Rithrin

Reaction score
Awesome! I’m considering one more pair…just don’t know what yet. I have some Collector rewards credits burning a hole in my pocket!

You know, I totally forgot about the collector rewards. I also forget if they apply to TS orders, but if so, we were supposed to get some back credit for previous orders I think. Might be just what I need to grab a Fifth with the correct toe cap!

Edit: Fail. I have 100 loyalty points. I forgot that my in-store TS orders don't show up on my account history, so probably won't be getting credits for those anyway. Perhaps @AE_Lauren can chime on whether we're supposed to get points for TS orders and whether there are any retroactive points?

Last edited:

Peitron

Reaction score
Here you are, sir!

We're at 45 pairs and counting.

Lot of money dropped in this community into the TS. Not really surprising, as it really isn't surprising that the Marbled Bacon and Natty shells are most in demand along with the Fifth St. I thought, however, that there would be more Soto Ave. strands (aka. Blue Shell, natural welt double JR).

(Now, imagine how much more money would have been spent if the MacNeil and Hamilton were available, and don't get me started on swapping welt styles. Lot's of money for the taking that was left on the table.)

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When did AE cease properly finishing the edge of the upper near the eyelets (part nomenclature isn't coming to me--shaft?). That raw edge look so unfinished compared to my older Daltons. Also, noticed on a recent Dalton, that the lining isn't completely tucked . . .thought I was getting seconds, but think that is just how they build them now??
There is a name for the “binding” style that is used. The previous CEO of AE actually chimes in on this topic a few years ago.
I think that @ProfilaBinding may be able to tell us more.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is a name for the “binding” style that is used. The previous CEO of AE actually chimes in on this topic a few years ago.
I think that @ProfilaBinding may be able to tell us more.

I tried to find that post a while back but I believe Paul had his account deleted. When I and others were complaining about the profila binding, Paul said AE were taking our comments seriously. He also mentioned later that profila binding costs slightly more to create than rolled binding. There was another comment about how the intention was to make some of their shoes more casual and flexible with the profila binding. I originally thought it made no sense to put profila binding on a Carlyle, but since then, my opinion has changed. Lots of British shoes (Cheaney, C&J, etc.) use profila binding. However, never did like it on my Leeds shoes -- it looked out of place.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You know, I totally forgot about the collector rewards. I also forget if they apply to TS orders, but if so, we were supposed to get some back credit for previous orders I think. Might be just what I need to grab a Fifth with the correct toe cap!

Edit: Fail. I have 100 loyalty points. I forgot that my in-store TS orders don't show up on my account history, so probably won't be getting credits for those anyway. Perhaps @AE_Lauren can chime on whether we're supposed to get points for TS orders and whether there are any retroactive points?
I got points for my TS orders that I made in store (just took 2 days for them to show up in my profile).

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lot of money dropped in this community into the TS. Not really surprising, as it really isn't surprising that the Marbled Bacon and Natty shells are most in demand along with the Fifth St. I thought, however, that there would be more Soto Ave. strands (aka. Blue Shell, natural welt double JR).

(Now, imagine how much more money would have been spent if the MacNeil and Hamilton were available, and don't get me started on swapping welt styles. Lot's of money for the taking that was left on the table.)
I would have made an @Hisheirness23 level purchase for a rainbow of MacNeils. But Allen Edmonds CaNT MaKE THEM AnYMore BecAuse IT WaSTEs to MucH MaTerial

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads