• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is hernia surgery like these days? I had three hernia surgeries as a teenager -- I was born with a hernia that appeared to go away by itself as I got older, but when I started wrestling in high school it re-appeared... so I had hernia repair surgery, but I must have a weak abdomen or something because the hernias kept re-appearing and I had to have the surgery two more times. The surgeries were very painful since the incisions were big and they cut right through your abdominal muscles and then sewed everything back together, and I remember walking around bent over, like a grandmother, for about a week after each one.

A few years ago the WSJ ran an article stating that hernia surgery is now done laparoscopically and that the surgeon now places plastic mesh in your abdomen in lieu of stitching it up. That sounded a lot less painful and I was glad to hear that there have been advances in hernia surgery. Did you get the laparoscopic surgery with the mesh? Or did you undergo the old-school procedure?

I went to place in Pasadena that specializes in them, and they offered both laparoscopic and the traditional way. I had to do with the traditional way, as the other option was a lot more expensive. This place does the traditional method in. a way that the end result is nearly identical to the laparoscopic, except it's more painful. My dad had laparoscopic on his hernia (the same area as mine) and he said it was a quick recovery. I also am walking like an old man today and in considerable pain, but I have medication if want it.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Patriots for a day of driving.
D19CA171-554F-4504-B62A-0CE67926B380.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, some further insight I got from speaking to an AE salesman.

Apparently, AE is not interested in producing a lot of new models on leather soles. They find that these options sell hot for a few weeks, then languish on the shelves. This is especially true in boots, which AE is not interested in emphasizing with any sort of leather options.

So we're more likely to see vibram cleated, wedge soles, and possibly dainite options, but rarely any leather options for boots. This is part of the reason the Dundee is not going to come back anytime soon, unless they decide to turn it into a rubber soled option.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
So, some further insight I got from speaking to an AE salesman.

Apparently, AE is not interested in producing a lot of new models on leather soles. They find that these options sell hot for a few weeks, then languish on the shelves. This is especially true in boots, which AE is not interested in emphasizing with any sort of leather options.

So we're more likely to see vibram cleated, wedge soles, and possibly dainite options, but rarely any leather options for boots. This is part of the reason the Dundee is not going to come back anytime soon, unless they decide to turn it into a rubber soled option.

Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) this tells me I won't really be buying many AE's in the future. Most likely just special releases or trunk shows. That mindset also tells me they're unlikely to produce (m)any new/old dress shoe models that aren't lug-soled bastards or "dress sneakers."

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, (or fortunately depending on how you look at it) this tells me I won't really be buying many AE's in the future. Most likely just special releases or trunk shows. That mindset also tells me they're unlikely to produce (m)any new/old dress shoe models that aren't lug-soled bastards or "dress sneakers."

They are going to keep their legacy shoes, but I don't see any likely increase of non-special release dress shoes in the traditional sense of dress shoes anymore, yes.

Apparently, the trend towards dress sneakers is associated with "older" people now (by which they mean "millennials") and may soon be considered passe, so expect more boots.

But yeah, my AE purchases right now are for special items and things like trunk shows. Still love Allen Edmonds, but lug soles can on dress shoes = no, and if I want a pair of sneakers, I'll just go buy a pair of Chucks or Vans or something instead of kid myself that I am being stylish by getting "dress sneakers".

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have previously mentioned my thoughts on the purple Strandmoks. They are awesome. Finally a shoe in my school colors (purple).

For financial reasons, it’s looking like I’m going to have to pass for right now. I don’t know if I’ll get another opportunity for purple. It just wouldn’t be responsible with all of my wife’s medical bills.

I started thinking about some options. I have two pairs of shoes that I could possibly dye purple. A pair of tan suede Neumoks and a pair of distressed grey McTavishes.

I’m leaning towards dyeing the McTavish. I think it would turn out as a dark distressed purple. What do you guys think?

8AF2C818-0ED0-4B2D-8DBE-BEA410655C95.jpeg
7513D87A-6399-4EAB-AC38-643A44098C21.jpeg

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have previously mentioned my thoughts on the purple Strandmoks. They are awesome. Finally a shoe in my school colors (purple).

For financial reasons, it’s looking like I’m going to have to pass for right now. I don’t know if I’ll get another opportunity for purple. It just wouldn’t be responsible with all of my wife’s medical bills.

I started thinking about some options. I have two pairs of shoes that I could possibly dye purple. A pair of tan suede Neumoks and a pair of distressed grey McTavishes.

I’m leaning towards dyeing the McTavish. I think it would turn out as a dark distressed purple. What do you guys think?

View attachment 1823799 View attachment 1823800
Not sure if the distressed leather will absorb the dye evenly. Someone with more knowledge will pipe in. I'm sure the suede would and calf but unsure on things the CXL, Dublin and other oiled leathers.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TGIF! Happy Friday Everyone.

Here chillin', listen to Tom Petty, it's only been 6 days, 12 hours and 43 minutes since I ordered new Hamiltons from AE... and they still haven't shipped 🙄

View attachment 1823853
I ordered my pair of Horween football leather Higgins Mills about 10-12 days ago. The website said that it could be an 8-week wait, but I keep checking my FedEx app every day to see if they have shipped.

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I ordered my pair of Horween football leather Higgins Mills about 10-12 days ago. The website said that it could be an 8-week wait, but I keep checking my FedEx app every day to see if they have shipped.
Wait, are they now offering Horween Football Leather??!?!? B/c last I heard, it was some brown Horween stamped imposter. So glad they came to their senses!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads