• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A final conclusion to my efforts at rescuing my Alden suede cap toe boots I sent in 5 months ago. An LA forum member (who I will not name as I do not have his permission) was EXTREMELY kind to interrupt his busy schedule and attempt a rescue of the boots from Willie's Shoe service. The short version is that the hook replacements had not been performed. (Well, 1 hook out of 8 on one boot had been changed.) The cobbler asked him to return in 30 minutes while he finished the work and looked for the other boot. Yes, he lost one of the boots somewhere in his shop. 30 minutes later the second boot remained lost and the forum member was asked to leave. There is the smallest of chances that they will ever surface again and find their way back to me, but at this point I am cutting my losses, thankful that I had not sent him some rare shell boots. I am eding the effort after 4 months of phone attempts and broken promises from the cobbler. My very public thanks to the efforts of this forum member and others who reached out to offer assistance.
I think a Better Business Bureau complaint and a relentless online campaign to shame/warn others are in order…

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think a Better Business Bureau complaint and a relentless online campaign to shame/warn others are in order…

True. I left an accurate google review of the business and I will now move on. It is sad that a guy took a long established business and then ran it himself successfully before driving it into the ground. My review is out there, but realistically he will probably have to close down (his assessment) rather soon.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True. I left an accurate google review of the business and I will now move on. It is sad that a guy took a long established business and then ran it himself successfully before driving it into the ground. My review is out there, but realistically he will probably have to close down (his assessment) rather soon.
It's just such a bizarre thing to lose someone's shoe. Sorry you have to deal with this. I know we're lucky to have "first-world problems" like shoe things, but I find that it's also impossible to talk about these things off-forum (i.e. my IRL friends and acquaintances)--and just how annoying they are.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A final conclusion to my efforts at rescuing my Alden suede cap toe boots I sent in 5 months ago. An LA forum member (who I will not name as I do not have his permission) was EXTREMELY kind to interrupt his busy schedule and attempt a rescue of the boots from Willie's Shoe service. The short version is that the hook replacements had not been performed. (Well, 1 hook out of 8 on one boot had been changed.) The cobbler asked him to return in 30 minutes while he finished the work and looked for the other boot. Yes, he lost one of the boots somewhere in his shop. 30 minutes later the second boot remained lost and the forum member was asked to leave. There is the smallest of chances that they will ever surface again and find their way back to me, but at this point I am cutting my losses, thankful that I had not sent him some rare shell boots. I am eding the effort after 4 months of phone attempts and broken promises from the cobbler. My very public thanks to the efforts of this forum member and others who reached out to offer assistance.

I hope you didn't pay at least! I'd issue a chargeback on the credit card ASAP for service not rendered. It's probably too much trouble to sue him in small claims court.

happypebble

Reaction score
That’s a sad story all around. Probably good if this shop does close. I had a shop here ruin a pair I brought in, then later I was able to enjoy the schadenfreude of seeing that shop go out of business. Cull the bad shops and it leaves the good ones for us to use.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Celebrating Weatherproof Wednesday with some Chili WP HMs doing what they're supposed to do. If you haven't yet had a chance to fill your chili hole, I highly recommend it. You'll sleep better at night. I promise.

IMG_6043.jpg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright... what is everyone buying for 25% off memorial sale? lol

mine...
View attachment 1795879

There's a pair of F2 patent leather Carlyles that looks tempting... I have a black tie wedding later this year that would be a good excuse to purchase them for. I'll have to call the ShoeBank and see if they can scope that pair out.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright... what is everyone buying for 25% off memorial sale? lol

mine...
View attachment 1795879
I was considering these same boots — the loden suede HM.
They aren’t available in my size — unless I want to buy a factory second. But the factory seconds are still priced at $299 while first quality boots are $279. I’m not inclined to spend more for a factory second.
Is this a glitch, @AE_Lauren ?

Lauren_A

Reaction score
I was considering these same boots — the loden suede HM.
They aren’t available in my size — unless I want to buy a factory second. But the factory seconds are still priced at $299 while first quality boots are $279. I’m not inclined to spend more for a factory second.
Is this a glitch, @AE_Lauren ?
Not a glitch. The F1 is actually $209.98 after the additional 25% off. Make sure to apply promo code "SALE25".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads