• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AEfaninTampa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At CID headed for PIE. Force 10s with Minnie and Mickey. View attachment 1794711
Come on down! We’ll be waitin’ for ya!
506BD1F2-DD2F-47CE-A515-4E2F0BFB9C00.jpeg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just for curiosity, I looked at my spreadsheet for 2022 so far (since this was the first "return to work" period since 2020). My most worn pairs are the Leeds 2.0 in walnut and the Alden 9501 in natural cxl.

Pairs I have not even worn once in 2022 are:

Malone (brown)
McTavish (natural cxl)
Overlord (brown kudu)
Neumok (olive)
Walton (brown)
Delray (bourbon)
Leeds (sand suede)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss @EZB The last two years have not been kind to many people. Your event and celebration of life sounds lovely and if I was you I would choose blue, red, then brown for that grey suit.

Thanks. It’s been more suffering and celebrating in the 2 years than that, but things are looking up.

I’m leaning towards the navy and white right now. I was originally thinking of the brown, but now I’m thinking that would go well with a burgundy suit in October for a fall wedding

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just for curiosity, I looked at my spreadsheet for 2022 so far (since this was the first "return to work" period since 2020). My most worn pairs are the Leeds 2.0 in walnut and the Alden 9501 in natural cxl.

Malone (brown)
McTavish (natural cxl)
Overlord (brown kudu)
Neumok (olive)
Walton (brown)
Delray (bourbon)
Leeds (sand suede)
I didn’t know you had or even what a Malone was until just now.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

MrOxford

Reaction score

Malone (brown)
McTavish (natural cxl)
Overlord (brown kudu)
Neumok (olive)
Walton (brown)
Delray (bourbon)
Leeds (sand suede)
No worries. You have seven months to find an outfit to go with those shoes before 2022 is over. :) Plenty of time to flash us a pic here and pic there. :)

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No shoes, but we just got finished putting up doors on the house.
65F511D2-A5FF-4DF3-BFC9-6F3F8F67D365.jpeg

Our renters did the installation and the wooden eagle at the top balcony. They rent it for $150 a month. My wife won’t raise the rent because they take good care of the property. So, I keep them busy with doors, windows, painting, etc. I am running out of things for them to upgrade now. The houses around our house are really rough.
AE6F46C1-960A-4536-B96F-8EDECCB38FBB.jpeg

I was a little hungry from Supervising, so I pulled some of these off a tree down the road. They taste like wet cotton, but are quite edible. In my little town in Guadalajara, no one buys guava or mangos. The trees are full of fruit all over town. BYW, the mangos are very small and you eat it skin and all. Like eating an apple.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a question for you guys.

So, I think it is pretty much known on these forums that the two most desired vault styles would be the Mac Neil and the Dundee. They get all the praise. Sometimes you also hear the Sullivan Boot (I've said that). What other styles would you like to see make a return?

Myself, it's simple: The Chester. It's just such a gorgeous full brogue and it fits me perfectly. I don't see AE as actually going for it, given they have the Cambridge and the like, but I'd love to see it make an appearance again.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I got a question for you guys.

So, I think it is pretty much known on these forums that the two most desired vault styles would be the Mac Neil and the Dundee. They get all the praise. Sometimes you also hear the Sullivan Boot (I've said that). What other styles would you like to see make a return?

Myself, it's simple: The Chester. It's just such a gorgeous full brogue and it fits me perfectly. I don't see AE as actually going for it, given they have the Cambridge and the like, but I'd love to see it make an appearance again.
I think AE could capitalize if they alternated the Cambridge with the Chester. The 73 last can fit a lot of guys who cannot fit the 65 last.

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think AE could capitalize if they alternated the Cambridge with the Chester. The 73 last can fit a lot of guys who cannot fit the 65 last.

Please allow me a moment to expand of this statement, especially for the benefit of our new AE rep. The company appears, to my limited perspective, to believe their length and width offerings can accommodate anyone who walks through the door. I commend them for their efforts as this is far beyond many of the other shoe makers. But length and width are only two parameters as SHAPE is also a big factor for fit. AE LOVES the 65 last and I am sure they have their reasons, but this is only one shape and it does not work for as many people as they may think. I believe the limitations of shape in this single last is why we frequently see posted pictures of shoes that have gaps at the ankle, excessively wide V gaps that will not close and creases ahead of the toe cap producing the dreaded "penis toe." All of these things occur in the 65 last shoes I try.

I have been told to choose another shoe last and the 73 last for the Chester is an example that fits me very well, as seen in this classic example below. But, it was discontinued. The 201 last was supposed to help with some of the vamp issues caused by the 65, but it was discontinued. The 97 last for the MacNeil works for me with some limitations, but it is no longer being used for any laced shoe, just the Grayson loafer. The 79 last was acceptable, but it is not being used for any laced shoe now, just the Randolph loafer. The 511 last will work for me with limitations, but it is restricted to the Leeds, one boot and the Wilbert.

So, when I walk in to an AE store looking for a laced dress shoe I am presented with 9 different style names on the 65 last that expands to 38 different leather, sole and color variations for the Neumok, Strand, PA, Strandmok, Fifth Ave, Cambridge, etc, etc, none of which will work for some people. So for people like me desiring a laced dress shoe, AE has become the "Leeds store." So, please put your heads together and see if there is some way to provide an option to those people like me who can't wear the 65 last. Maybe there isn't a way that financially makes sense to the company and I understand that. The world sometimes sucks and you can't be everything to every person. But please give it some thought.

The Chester on the 73 last, without bowed ankles, penis toe or excessive V gap.
IMG_1208 2.jpg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Please allow me a moment to expand of this statement, especially for the benefit of our new AE rep. The company appears, to my limited perspective, to believe their length and width offerings can accommodate anyone who walks through the door. I commend them for their efforts as this is far beyond many of the other shoe makers. But length and width are only two parameters as SHAPE is also a big factor for fit. AE LOVES the 65 last and I am sure they have their reasons, but this is only one shape and it does not work for as many people as they may think. I believe the limitations of shape in this single last is why we frequently see posted pictures of shoes that have gaps at the ankle, excessively wide V gaps that will not close and creases ahead of the toe cap producing the dreaded "penis toe." All of these things occur in the 65 last shoes I try.

I have been told to choose another shoe last and the 73 last for the Chester is an example that fits me very well, as seen in this classic example below. But, it was discontinued. The 201 last was supposed to help with some of the vamp issues caused by the 65, but it was discontinued. The 97 last for the MacNeil works for me with some limitations, but it is no longer being used for any laced shoe, just the Grayson loafer. The 79 last was acceptable, but it is not being used for any laced shoe now, just the Randolph loafer. The 511 last will work for me with limitations, but it is restricted to the Leeds, one boot and the Wilbert.

So, when I walk in to an AE store looking for a laced dress shoe I am presented with 9 different style names on the 65 last that expands to 38 different leather, sole and color variations for the Neumok, Strand, PA, Strandmok, Fifth Ave, Cambridge, etc, etc, none of which will work for some people. So for people like me desiring a laced dress shoe, AE has become the "Leeds store." So, please put your heads together and see if there is some way to provide an option to those people like me who can't wear the 65 last. Maybe there isn't a way that financially makes sense to the company and I understand that. The world sometimes sucks and you can't be everything to every person. But please give it some thought.

View attachment 1795022
I can explain why the 73 last is appealing to women. It is the girth that women crave. Oh sure, a certain length is desired, but the girth gives them pleasure. The 73 last has the girth without excessive cone height. There I said it.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1795022
Just offer all their styles on different lasts! What could go wrong? :p

(I am aware of the problems with drastically changing the last shape for a pattern)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads