• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Let me completely detach myself from AE for the sake of this response. So, I will assume these are all AE. Going from left to right, and this is a close call, my choices would be 1,3,2. Hell, if I were you, I would wear the navy/white there and reserve the brown and white in the car, just in case the feeling hit me to change. You know, in case others in your family show up in AE spectators.
Haha. This event is just at maggianos, so not much shoe-changing opportunity. I do have a wedding in august and another wedding in October that will need me to wear something with a tie. One of those is likely to be with a burgundy suit.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I need some advice on which shoe to wear to my mother’s celebration of life in 2 weeks.

Background info:
My mother passed away Dec 31, 2020, from Covid. We were going to celebrate her and my father’s 50-year anniversary in 2020, but had to postpone it sue to the pandemic. She didn’t make it through, so we decided that we would use the celebration reservation for her celebration of life instead.
This is not a funeral. We never did a funeral, and I don’t think she would have wanted one. A war refugee, she lived her early life without citizenship to any country. Her closet surviving family outside her line and descendants of the cousin who brought her to this country will be attending, and she would have seen it as a true celebration.

I will be wearing a suit, but it won’t be with a tie. I was planning on wearing the jacket and pants without the vest from my mid-grey suit. For shoes, I was thinking of wearing one of three festive shoes that I’ve never worn before: navy and white AE broadstreets, burnished cherry red cobbler Union Alex longwings, or brown and white cobbler Union spectators. I know many would be against bluchers and wings with a suit, but this isn’t a formal event (suit and no tie). I’ve attached a picture of all three options next to the suit and would love feedback.

View attachment 1794425

They are all beautiful, but the navy/white would be my choice.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today’s wear
EEEBE990-C06A-48BF-BC79-E4E1C17C7F2C.jpeg

pbrandes

Reaction score
My personal AE journey began in 2015 and followed the classic Kubler-Ross Five Stages of Footwear:

Denial - hey these cheap Eccos are good enough. Shoes are shoes, who needs anything better?
Anger - WTF??!!! I just bought these Eccos six months ago and they’re already falling apart!?
Bargaining - Hey. the AE RDA sale is happening. Since my upcoming business trip will take me near their South Coast Plaza store (their only one in southern CA at the time), I might as well swing by and take a look for some good deals...
Depression - Oh crap, just got my credit card statement...
Acceptance - I guess this is where my disposable income is going from now on...

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Haha. This event is just at maggianos, so not much shoe-changing opportunity. I do have a wedding in august and another wedding in October that will need me to wear something with a tie. One of those is likely to be with a burgundy suit.
A wise man once told me, when dealing with sauce, one should always have a shoe back up.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wearing Horween English Tan Dublin Leather McGillicuddys today.

IMG_1878.jpeg

For fans of "A-E Shoes In Front Of Chris Lowbutton Shoe Store" pictures, standing in front of the Chris Lowbutton shoe store on the Avenue des Chumps-Élysées on the way to the Spring 2022 Beverly Hills Art Show in Beverly Gardens Park.

Those keeping score at home may notice the banners and awnings are the same color as the soles of Chris Lowbutton shoes.

IMG_1881.jpeg

Weren't many tourists taking their picture in front of the Lily Pond in Beverly Gardens Park. Before the city fixed the back of the "Beverly Hills" sign, tourists used to climb up into the sign and take pictures sitting on the E''s and the L's. The other letters are harder in interact with.

IMG_1899.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I need some advice on which shoe to wear to my mother’s celebration of life in 2 weeks.

Background info:
My mother passed away Dec 31, 2020, from Covid. We were going to celebrate her and my father’s 50-year anniversary in 2020, but had to postpone it sue to the pandemic. She didn’t make it through, so we decided that we would use the celebration reservation for her celebration of life instead.
This is not a funeral. We never did a funeral, and I don’t think she would have wanted one. A war refugee, she lived her early life without citizenship to any country. Her closet surviving family outside her line and descendants of the cousin who brought her to this country will be attending, and she would have seen it as a true celebration.

I will be wearing a suit, but it won’t be with a tie. I was planning on wearing the jacket and pants without the vest from my mid-grey suit. For shoes, I was thinking of wearing one of three festive shoes that I’ve never worn before: navy and white AE broadstreets, burnished cherry red cobbler Union Alex longwings, or brown and white cobbler Union spectators. I know many would be against bluchers and wings with a suit, but this isn’t a formal event (suit and no tie). I’ve attached a picture of all three options next to the suit and would love feedback.

View attachment 1794425

My condolences for your mother. My shoe choice would be, in order, blue, brown and then red.

KayGeeLC

Reaction score
I wore my lugged Park Avenue today for the first time. I know you purists don’t like them just about as much as I don’t like the AE sneakers. Rest assured that I won’t be wearing them with a suit or to the office but only with jeans, slacks and maybe a sport coat occasionally
B95400FD-C18E-460B-9B69-32A3A5D688A4.jpeg

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore my lugged Park Avenue today for the first time. I know you purists don’t like them just about as much as I don’t like the AE sneakers. Rest assured that I won’t be wearing them with a suit or to the office but only with jeans, slacks and maybe a sport coat occasionally
View attachment 1794647
Seems fine to me!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads