• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand the need for sneakers as a doctor. That is acceptable - no one is going to ***** that you are wearing a pair of sneakers when you need to meet the needs of your job, anymore than I would disparage you for wearing muddy work boots if you were a construction worker.

Honestly, although I have several dozen shoes and boots from a variety of makers, I personally have been wearing Alden Indy boots and Red Wing moc toe boots more than anything else lately.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have two pair of AE dress sneakers. Parks in chili shell and Strands in bone suede…and I love them both. Compliments all the time. That said, today I wore a ~10 year old pair of Leeds in shell. One of these days I’ll come around to remembering its WTW!
View attachment 1793492
Shell is forever! I also have 3 other pairs of PA/Strand sneakers..love them all

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Honestly, although I have several dozen shoes and boots from a variety of makers, I personally have been wearing Alden Indy boots and Red Wing moc toe boots more than anything else lately.

You're a doctor, too?

blewnote1

Reaction score
You're about to catch these hands, Shoe Brother.

I was with you with the loafers. I was with you with the boots. I was with you with the shoes of all sorts. But I draw the line here, man, I draw the line.

While I'm not sold on the dress sneakers on offer, I'm at a loss as to see how they're terribly different from all the "sport" shoes you see advertised in the old Esquire fashion plates that have thick crepe or red rubber soles. They came in all kinds of models: monks, spectators, Norwegians, wingtip derbies, captoes derbies, etc.

I think if there was a way to make the sole a little less "bright white rubber sneaker looking" they wouldn't be at all out of place within the tradition of classic men's shoes and would still have the comfort factor that I think draws people to them. I might even get a pair.

Red rubber:

esq073406-jpg.291640

Crepe:
esq063509-jpg.291781

Last edited:

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While I'm not sold on the dress sneakers on offer, I'm at a loss as to see how they're terribly different from all the "sport" shoes you see advertised in the old Esquire fashion plates that have thick crepe soles. They came in all kinds of models: monks, spectators, Norwegians, wingtip derbies, captoes derbies, etc.

I think if there was a way to make the sole a little less "bright white rubber sneaker looking" they wouldn't be at all out of place within the tradition of classic men's shoes and would still have the comfort factor that I think draws people to them. I might even get a pair.
AE sneaker soles are actually much smaller in profile than most other brands’ dress sneaker soles

blewnote1

Reaction score
AE sneaker soles are actually much smaller in profile than most other brands’ dress sneaker soles

Dig. I edited my post to include examples. But I'm with you, I don't think that "dress" sneakers are that much of an oxymoron, especially if they're derbies or suede or something that already makes the shoe lean casual.

I think that the poor execution of a lot of these kinds of styles (not necessarily from AE, although pure calf Park Aves would be guilty of this IMO) has soured people who like the "classics" on being open to them.

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dig. I edited my post to include examples. But I'm with you, I don't think that "dress" sneakers are that much of an oxymoron, especially if they're derbies or suede or something that already makes the shoe lean casual.

I think that the poor execution of a lot of these kinds of styles (not necessarily from AE, although pure calf Park Aves would be guilty of this IMO) has soured people who like the "classics" on being open to them.
I think it’s something else. They don’t like the style because it means admitting that everything is continuing to get more casual.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is my dress sneaker for the next several days. Can’t find a good fit in AE.
BC92F382-3A4C-448B-A39B-66DA0BDAEEB1.jpeg

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alright, I can't hold my tongue any longer. A former AE employee shared this with me in confidence, and I swore to her i would not to spill the beans, but I can't help myself!

AE is reaching deep into the vault for this split-toe beauty! Back by popular demand, the next drop will be...

The AE Vinny
Available in your choice of 14 Corfam° colors!
Screenshot_20220519-083815_Chrome.jpg

Save your 💰 Gentlemen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads