• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's not like I'm an odd size, you would think they would have already crafted a stock of them.

It is going to be a MTO kind of thing, so I doubt they have really made any/many ‘bank build’ of these outside of the samples for the photo shoot given that there are 6 different styles.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Non-AE post here, but another MIUSA (or at least partially assembled here) footwear company.

I purchased these Thorogood GYW steel toe work boots for my previous job in a factory. I wore these boots 5 days a week for 2.5 years, and I have literally never done anything with them care wise. No cleaning, no conditioning, nada.

Now that I work from home, I figured that I should clean them up and see what patina has developed over the last 2.5 years. The left boot was cleaned this weekend with some Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. The right boot has been left untouched.

Here is what the boots looked like on their first proper outing.
View attachment 1793353

Here is what they look like 2.5 years of domestic abuse later.

View attachment 1793358
View attachment 1793354
View attachment 1793355
View attachment 1793356
View attachment 1793357

What do you guys think? Should I get some saddle soap to get *all* of the of the weld soot out of them or just slather them up with Bick 4 and call it a day?
They have worked hard for you I think you should give them a little love and care.

I was going to pass on the drop even though I like them as I've spent too much recently but I did just order a number of items that would work well with them including linen/cotton pants and field jacket so I guess I'll pick up the Chili/Linen.

You can't take it with you right so....(I've been saying that a bit too much recently)

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t wear sneakers except to do yardwork around the house.
I love the navy McAllister spectator but I think the rest of my wardrobe would limit me. It will be chili if anything. I have four other spectators but live in the South ;) and accidentally killed my regular McAllisters with maple syrup recently.

We live opposite lives!

I rarely wear shoes at all, but when I do, sneakers get the call almost exclusively now.
I don't do yard work--ever.
I do also love the Navy McAllster, but my wardrobe just won't work with any of the non-sneaker models. I have 2 other spectators, neither of which have ever actually been worn once so far (but I love them)! I don't eat maple syrup.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non-AE post here, but another MIUSA (or at least partially assembled here) footwear company.

I purchased these Thorogood GYW steel toe work boots for my previous job in a factory. I wore these boots 5 days a week for 2.5 years, and I have literally never done anything with them care wise. No cleaning, no conditioning, nada.

Now that I work from home, I figured that I should clean them up and see what patina has developed over the last 2.5 years. The left boot was cleaned this weekend with some Dawn dish soap and a toothbrush. The right boot has been left untouched.

Here is what the boots looked like on their first proper outing.
View attachment 1793353

Here is what they look like 2.5 years of domestic abuse later.

View attachment 1793358
View attachment 1793354
View attachment 1793355
View attachment 1793356
View attachment 1793357

What do you guys think? Should I get some saddle soap to get *all* of the of the weld soot out of them or just slather them up with Bick 4 and call it a day?
Bick 4. Leave the character on work boots.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I should clarify, I meant get them nice and clean and then conditioned, brushed but don't try to "fix" any of the patina.
Yup - that's what I heard. Left boot is plenty good to roll with after a conditioning.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I should clarify, I meant get them nice and clean and then conditioned, brushed but don't try to "fix" any of the patina.
Yup - that's what I heard. Left boot is plenty good to roll with after a conditioning.

I just started with one of the boots to see what it looked like clean vs dirty.

My original intent was to saddle soap them, but just seeing what a little dish soap did as far as cleaning off the dirt and cleaning up the stitching, I thought that might be sufficient. Saves me from having to actually buy saddle soap too, haha.

armedferret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debauchery is imminent.

PXL_20220518_175759288.jpg

satch69

Reaction score
Freeports in the rain. Such an underrated boot. You Tongue Tag Deniers are really missing out on a quality pair of footwear. I know it's pretty obvious from this shot that the tag throws off the entire balance of the boot, but you learn to live with it.

View attachment 1793335

I am enjoying my exact same pair (fits great in 11.5B for my 11.25B-measured feet). However, while I don't care either way about the appearance of the tongue tag, I am not enjoying how it prevents the tongue from molding to my shin - due to its stiffness, it slides over to one side, limited in its movement by the tongue loop. Honestly I am considering going at it with a seam ripper.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I never understood why Allen Edmonds doesn’t have a store in Las Vegas.

I believe it was discussed and considered to be too much of a gamble. I'll see myself out now...

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We live opposite lives!

I rarely wear shoes at all, but when I do, sneakers get the call almost exclusively now.
I don't do yard work--ever.
I do also love the Navy McAllster, but my wardrobe just won't work with any of the non-sneaker models. I have 2 other spectators, neither of which have ever actually been worn once so far (but I love them)! I don't eat maple syrup.

I'm waiting on my first pair of "dress sneakers" (PA in shell). If I love them, the remainder of my shoe purchases will be dress sneakers (till I die).
I'm already planning on shell sneakers for the upcoming trunk show.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm waiting on my first pair of "dress sneakers" (PA in shell). If I love them, the remainder of my shoe purchases will be dress sneakers (till I die).
I'm already planning on shell sneakers for the upcoming trunk show.

You're about to catch these hands, Shoe Brother.

I was with you with the loafers. I was with you with the boots. I was with you with the shoes of all sorts. But I draw the line here, man, I draw the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads