• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaufebeen

Reaction score
I see nothing to be concerned over. Those are beautiful.

I've always been more intruiged by the brown shell, but the chili looks great on a Strand.

Going up a size on the 65 is unusual. Do they fit you well?

Glad to see our new Insider here! And grateful for the former one and all she has accomplished.

Oh it's just that my heel to arch is close to 1.5size larger than my heel to toe, which suggests I have short toes.

They do fit me well, it's just that I prefer to mirror the entire toe cap on my shoes (which I can't as the folds reach just beyond the broguing line)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh it's just that my heel to arch is close to 1.5size larger than my heel to toe, which suggests I have short toes.

They do fit me well, it's just that I prefer to mirror the entire toe cap on my shoes (which I can't as the folds reach just beyond the broguing line)

Allen Edmonds has a habit of certain shoes having insufficient strengthening of the toe cap to avoid a sneaking fold/crease past the broguing line. The stiffeners either don't go all the way back to the cap toe or are just a bit too weak, so sometimes you will see some intrusion into the toe cap.

This can be largely bypassed by setting the crease before wearing. If you didn't do that, though, you're kinda screwed, as once it starts folding, there's no real way to change where it will fold.

What you should do is take a pen or a butter knife and set the crease yourself in the right place. You can find instructional videos on how to do this on Youtube.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that AE back quarters are often uneven on their brogued shoes? It's often quite hard to notice, but left and right shoes will have different "heights" on the broguing. I've noticed these now on four pairs of mine. It's a relatively minor aesthetic problem, but it seems to be a recurring one. It isn't the pattern, as the shoes are different. What's going on here?

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good Monday morning, a good day for the Bradley.
939563E6-37F8-429C-80A3-2624EB05CD35.jpeg

Garrister

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that AE back quarters are often uneven on their brogued shoes? It's often quite hard to notice, but left and right shoes will have different "heights" on the broguing. I've noticed these now on four pairs of mine. It's a relatively minor aesthetic problem, but it seems to be a recurring one. It isn't the pattern, as the shoes are different. What's going on here?
Well, not taking away anything from AE shoes because I think they make a very nice shoe but I do notice that sometimes the small details seem to get lost in translation. I once got a pair of Patriots where the height of the side quarters were of different heights. Really annoying on a loafer. AE replaced them no questions asked. You ask "what's going on"? I would say this stuff happens in a mass production operation.

Last edited:

Patrick1053

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Turns out she is as dumb as a box of rocks, she agreed to marry me when I had no job, no prospects, and lets just say a legal problem north of the border. To top it off, she was about to become a nun. She told me God told her to say yes.

A man with no job and no prospects and problems on his northern border who marries a near nun...

Stream Maria and Captain Von Trapp - Sound of Music 💖 by ANGELIQUE -  QUATRE | Listen online for free on SoundCloud

You didn't happen to receive and decline any offers from the Nazi regime did you???

The REAL Sound of Music's Maria Von Trapp was a domineering and angry 'wild  creature' - Mirror Online

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am looking for a person to pick up my pair of boots for me from a retailer in LA. The shop in near Western and Beverly Blvd. I will be happy to pay any charge for gas and mailing. I can't do it because I am 2700 miles away. Please PM me if you are willing to assist me.

UPDATE: I have a volunteer and the game is afoot.

Last edited:

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, not taking away anything from AE shoes because I think they make a very nice shoe but I do notice that sometimes the small details seem to get lost in translation. I once got a pair of Patriots where the height of the side quarters were of different heights. Really annoying on a loafer. AE replaced them no questions asked. You ask "what's going on"? I would say this stuff happens in a mass production operation.

Yeah, but now it seems like the norm, rather than the exception when I have four pairs all with the same problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads