• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Both of these boots have been in the stable for awhile, but only until recently has the waxed suede seen much wear. The OG Brown CXL is still more comfortable though - mainly because of its buttery soft lining.

They have been thoroughly cleaned, just not since they were last worn.

I applied a good amount of VSC to the waxed flesh a few weeks back and the contrast is real nice. I'm always a shoe tree guy but have tried leaving them out of these two for a bit for more character. Both articles of leather improve with age, and dare I say, abuse.

View attachment 1741470
View attachment 1741471 View attachment 1741472 View attachment 1741473 View attachment 1741474 View attachment 1741475 View attachment 1741476 View attachment 1741477

Also, check out the variation in hue on this Horween whiskey shell depending on the angle of the lighting. (Ashland Leather Bugs Moran wallet)
View attachment 1741478 View attachment 1741479

I don't know, I don't think leaving the shoe tree will develop character, so much as just make you wear through the shoes quicker. The trees keep moisture out, retain the shape, and otherwise help the shoes stay structurally sound as much as aesthetically.

Two months ago I saw a guy wearing a pair of monks and he clearly never has used a shoe tree, as his toes were pointed upwards like jester shoes.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I don't think leaving the shoe tree will develop character, so much as just make you wear through the shoes quicker. The trees keep moisture out, retain the shape, and otherwise help the shoes stay structurally sound as much as aesthetically.

Two months ago I saw a guy wearing a pair of monks and he clearly never has used a shoe tree, as his toes were pointed upwards like jester shoes.

I like a little toe spring, the HM's don't have enough. I mean, I have dozens of shoe trees in shoes and boots right now, so leaving a couple out is not going to hurt too much. Just a short term experiment... both pairs have been kept in shoe trees until just this last month.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like a little toe spring, the HM's don't have enough. I mean, I have dozens of shoe trees in shoes and boots right now, so leaving a couple out is not going to hurt too much. Just a short term experiment... both pairs have been kept in shoe trees until just this last month.

Okay. Well, enjoy!

FatTuesday

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone remember the Macneil 5???

Ebay shoes 001.jpg

Ebay shoes 006.jpg

Ebay shoes 011.jpg

20140420-135655[1].jpg

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am in the middle of a little remodeling project. Sorry, I forgot how to spoiled posts for non-AE content. Enjoy the weekend!

Alden WTB in reverse earth chamois
74E87EE7-4545-4812-993D-872CE5D32D81.jpeg

Shoe Martian

Reaction score
Oxblood on the left. I was expecting it to be more red and different from the Dark Chili.
I ordered and plan to use Hermes Red.. Do you think that will do the trick too?
B66A2362-A9A8-4E87-B66F-FA0A57E9BCB8.jpeg

Oxblood PA, Chili Boulevard, Mahogany Strand
CC225769-76F1-4587-9781-2F785A3BAC41.jpeg

With a Chili belt, which works for all three given the separation from foot to waist.
E73F4663-1A5A-4DEC-AD04-A3EAEEC2A100.jpeg

Saphir Bordeaux, Hermes Red, and Mahogany. The Bordeaux and Hermes are nearly identical, the Mahogany has much more brown in it, versus maybe a touch toward purple for the others. The Mahogany cream is most similar to the Chili shoe I would say, with the AE Mahogany shoe trending toward a darker brown. I have some AE Chili cream, but it is in a tube…

While these are very similar, I find they are just enough different that one pops with an outfit much like a perfect tie or pocket square. If I had to pick one, keep one, start with one, it would be Chili.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Born and raised just north of town in Montgomery.
I have eaten many a souvlaki sitting on the curb in front of Hoagie Haven after a night next door at the Ivy, back when George owned HH and Dickie owned the Ivy.
I was a bartender at the Annex for a number of years after college. Only place in Princeton where you could get a beer for $1.75.
The town sure has changed over the past 60 years.
All good places. As much as it has changed (fancier shops, more transplants moving in, pricier everything) there is an underlying idyllic suburban character that never changes. I rarely go back but when I do it always feels kinda the same.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score

Kevin24

Reaction score
I am considering getting the AE lambskin bomber jacket that's on sale.

I routinely fluctuate between a 40R-42R. Should I get a medium or a large?

As of now, I am def a 42R, which would be large; however, I was under the impression that leather jackets tend to stretch out quite a bit, so I thought a medium would be a better option?

Am I right in assuming this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads