• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might remember me making a comment about wanting the Freeport boot, but being disappointed that it was not offered in a B-width. AE added the B-width option, and I bought a pair immediately.
That pair was as nice as I was hoping, so I ordered a second pair about a month ago. And even though I can purchase a pair in a B-width, they are not made until you purchase them. So I had to wait about 4 weeks.
They arrived yesterday. Here is my initial impression.

They arrived in a box with TWO shoe bags. It’s nice that AE listened to their customers and went back to including two bags. Also, these boots are so fresh from the manufacturing process that I can still smell the contact cement. That is something that should dissipate quickly.

The insoles of my first pair had a slight bit of cushion. It wasn’t a lot, but it made a noticeable difference in improving initial comfort. I was curious if that was a trunk show spec, or if all Freeports had this insole. I can confirm that this pair also has the slightly softer insole. I like it.

These have contrast stitching, and it looks great. I don’t see any sloppy stitching. There is a loop on the tongue for the laces if you need to use that to keep the tongue centered. I’m going to see how they do without using that first.

BBD8808B-D167-42D1-BC16-F323A8BC5B7D.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Shoenut you’ve got quite the variety of reactions so far. I feel your pain; my problem children are my snuff MD Chukkas. That dovetail really doesn’t want to live, even with a good glueing
On my way to my cobbler. I had to walk with no heel, I will see if there is not too much damage to the stack for a glue and nail job.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still living mostly in a 1757 world. Chili weatherproof Higgins Mill boots today. Because you're worth it to me, I spent about 15 seconds total taking pictures of them outdoors in both indirect sunlight and direct sunlight. I'm a giver. And, if you wanted to call me a "hero" as well, I wouldn't shy away from that responsibility.

Outdoors, indirect sunlight at around 9:30 A.M. Central in the northern suburbs of Chicago with salt patina on our driveway.

IMG_5697.jpg

Outdoors, direct sunlight around 9:30 A.M. Central in the northern suburbs of Chicago on concrete patio with divot that most likely occurred when I was doing one of my numerous dumb things. Since I'm dumb, I can't remember what it was.

IMG_5698.jpg

Enjoy the day all you filthy barnweasels!

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You might remember me making a comment about wanting the Freeport boot, but being disappointed that it was not offered in a B-width. AE added the B-width option, and I bought a pair immediately.
That pair was as nice as I was hoping, so I ordered a second pair about a month ago. And even though I can purchase a pair in a B-width, they are not made until you purchase them. So I had to wait about 4 weeks.
They arrived yesterday. Here is my initial impression.

They arrived in a box with TWO shoe bags. It’s nice that AE listened to their customers and went back to including two bags. Also, these boots are so fresh from the manufacturing process that I can still smell the contact cement. That is something that should dissipate quickly.

The insoles of my first pair had a slight bit of cushion. It wasn’t a lot, but it made a noticeable difference in improving initial comfort. I was curious if that was a trunk show spec, or if all Freeports had this insole. I can confirm that this pair also has the slightly softer insole. I like it.

These have contrast stitching, and it looks great. I don’t see any sloppy stitching. There is a loop on the tongue for the laces if you need to use that to keep the tongue centered. I’m going to see how they do without using that first.

View attachment 1740417
You say slight cushion. Equal to HM or more? I think my Bowerys have a bit more cushion than HM (need to do back to back). I'm not sure if it's the cushion or the Itshide, but my legs hurt after a full day of wearing...so wondering if these will do the same.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You say slight cushion. Equal to HM or more? I think my Bowerys have a bit more cushion than HM (need to do back to back). I'm not sure if it's the cushion or the Itshide, but my legs hurt after a full day of wearing...so wondering if these will do the same.
I feel like the insole is only very slightly cushioned. However, I just took the dogs outside recently and found that the sole itself is softer than the Itshide commando sole. Overall, I feel like this combination might be somewhat softer than the HM with the commando sole.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just left the Cobbler and of course he blamed the heel failure on a non-leather stack. So, they are getting replaced with a leather stack.
If you missed out on the last spectator shoes AE made. Make your own. Madison Park.
2B82C46D-3519-4346-89E3-D00338F8A0EA.jpeg

On a more irritating note, my split pea soup was just brought to me.
B0D89103-3567-4B6B-8C23-C756C8F19F56.jpeg

When I told my waitress that I ordered the split pea soup and she made a mistake. I was told that my Boss called and vetoed the soup in favor of a Greek Salad. Sometimes I wish my wife loved me a little less!

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Snow and salt again today so just wore the Rockies again (Think I called them Grizzlies before) Definitely a good, bad weather boot with the waxed suede, Ice grip sole and WP membrane.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh no, I am sorry to hear this news. I am not an Alden guy and, as such, have never met/interacted with Jim. However, I know how much he meant to many in this community. Sorry for your loss, my friends.

Jim had a family, right? Anyone know if there is a Go Fund me set up?

Lastly, F@CK cancer!

Thank you. He was really a neat guy who loved men's wear and shoes in general. In fact, he was a stellar associate for AE many years ago. A real connoisseur of shoe makeups and leathers.

I know it was already mentioned, but he does have a GoFundMe page setup to help the family out.

I was not active on this forum (I was lurking) when our good friend (and Alden master) Mac passed away, but it brings back many of the same feelings in this forum

Agreed, it’s probably my favorite pair now. My walnut strands will always have a place in my rotation, and heart, though. First pair of AEs. Just freshly polished tonight too! Full cream and wax.

Also got a layer of cream polish down on my loafers, I have never polished/shined them before tonight. they look fantastic still (if I may say so myself) after a handful of wears and no real prior shoe care.

View attachment 1736218
View attachment 1736219

Looking so good!

AE's walnut Strand was my grail model many years ago!

Originally, I was from Amarillo, Texas. I lived on the same street, one block down from @madhat 's aunt. He lived in Amarillo too, but a later generation. Moved to CA in 81 and left in 2020. Never lived back east or PA until retirement.

Haha wow!! What a small world.... I guess you found that connection out later?

I'm sure you saw many changes in CA in those decades from 81 to 20.

Ashley_S

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey all! I'm back from vacation and my work computer is finally here and all set up. Anyone who asked me for help finding another SA, or had questions about any pending orders should be wrapped up this week now that my capabilities have been restored. It's good to be back!

aapmm

Reaction score
I don’t post these enough, but my TS gray suede Liverpools are probably my favorite shoe I’ve ever owned.

The chilis look good, and I’ll have to go look at them in store when they start stocking them in B width. Just glad they’ve started offering them in more colors! Would love to see them in another trunk show.

DF0448EF-761B-4127-8F8E-3887506193CB.jpeg

F70FCFC4-B658-4DB4-9AC3-2A2942A34827.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thank you. He was really a neat guy who loved men's wear and shoes in general. In fact, he was a stellar associate for AE many years ago. A real connoisseur of shoe makeups and leathers.

I know it was already mentioned, but he does have a GoFundMe page setup to help the family out.

I was not active on this forum (I was lurking) when our good friend (and Alden master) Mac passed away, but it brings back many of the same feelings in this forum

Looking so good!

AE's walnut Strand was my grail model many years ago!

Haha wow!! What a small world.... I guess you found that connection out later?

I'm sure you saw many changes in CA in those decades from 81 to 20.
Yup…we started communicating when I asked about purchasing from him my first pair of Aldens and first pair of shell, my cap toe #8 Atoms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics