• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdwardWilson

Reaction score
The olive Liverpool is the best in my opinion, but I just saw now that AE has brought back the walnut, black and also added a chili version. Have to say, the chili version looks great. It also brings me some joy to see AE is bringing back some nice styles. I think most of us agree we would rather see the Liverpool return than the new Freeport loafer.

Wow did not see the Liverpool was now offered in chili. I picked up a pair in walnut with lug soles during RDA sale. If I weren't down the Mac Neil rabbit hole I might just buy some in chili.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got fitted for Indys by a salesman at Culwell & Son in Dallas that had previously worked for Brown Shoe Co. for 20-30 years. This guy knew sizing. Said 9 of 10 folks properly fitted needed to go down a halfsize for an Indy. He said I was the one in ten who did not due to my high instep. So my 10.5E in almost every AE last is my correct size for an Indy, too.

Fun fact: in 2015 Brown Shoe changed its name to ….

Caleres.

I could also wear the Barrie in my usual size, although my only pair is 1/2 size down. Same exact reason you stated. The last is generous in the toe area, but I find that the instep is not super generous like the modified last is. The heel to ball in my pair has my joint sitting slightly forward the widest part. Not a problem because again, the toe area is generous. The lacing gap I have is a little wide too, but acceptable. I'll probably just stick to shoes on the modified last since that one works like a dream for me.

dc_slicker

Reaction score

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. Stopped by to say hi. Have been away from the board for over two years, and, dare I say it, haven’t bought a single pair of nice shoes during this time. Well, I hope everyone is doing well. It’s good to see so many familiar people still posting.

KarlHungus

Reaction score
Hinsdales and rumpled flannel
IMG_20220120_090027.jpg

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got fitted for Indys by a salesman at Culwell & Son in Dallas that had previously worked for Brown Shoe Co. for 20-30 years. This guy knew sizing. Said 9 of 10 folks properly fitted needed to go down a halfsize for an Indy. He said I was the one in ten who did not due to my high instep. So my 10.5E in almost every AE last is my correct size for an Indy, too.

Fun fact: in 2015 Brown Shoe changed its name to ….

Caleres.

I think width definitely plays a big role also. Like you I also have a high instep but C width. 1757 I need a 7D (down from 7.5C), couldn't go lower. I have multiple pairs on the Barrie and 1 Indy (trubal) and while the instep is definitely low, I had to go all the way down to 6.5D just to eliminate all the volume. So far I've had the same thing on the Grant Stone Leo & UK lasts. I think part of the reason is that AE's poron & other padding definitely affects the volume (especially the instep room) whereas Alden & GS basically use nothing except a thin pad at the heel area.

Fun fact: if memory serves brown shoe co. didn't really believe in tons of variety. The had platforms - fewer styles with varying colors, brogue vs plain, etc. Guess who's doing that now.....

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello gentlemen. Stopped by to say hi. Have been away from the board for over two years, and, dare I say it, haven’t bought a single pair of nice shoes during this time. Well, I hope everyone is doing well. It’s good to see so many familiar people still posting.

Did you wind up making it back to Paramus before they closed? Last time I was there was April, I think they closed in May.

savvysartorial

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An AE classic and one of my favorite MTO. Brown shell is highly underused!

3C28D1CC-E08A-4DF4-B4A5-611220BD1EC5.jpeg
8C29BF3D-21FB-4E2C-B0E3-04EFA01424D0.jpeg
FB5F0634-E8B4-4CDE-8F18-1E007A86B7FC.jpeg
CE93198E-A92B-4B62-BA95-C36FDF69A0FB.jpeg
DBB1C02E-5DF2-4D96-AF82-F0A92FB7D9D5.jpeg
221C8647-45A9-424D-BCCF-96E684796341.jpeg

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Decided to go with the Rudolph today.
B0E557B5-A053-4BC8-9105-516C5E7D4755.jpeg

Rudolph decided that he does not want to play.
F6E9D1DC-DA43-4056-B70B-3AC3B8BB17A3.jpeg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
@Shoenut you’ve got quite the variety of reactions so far. I feel your pain; my problem children are my snuff MD Chukkas. That dovetail really doesn’t want to live, even with a good glueing

MattyS

Reaction score
LOW volume and flat feet here. Plus neuropathy and pretty bad inflammation. Makes it to wear most days I do not look forward to lacing up any pair of shoes. Not ideal when you have an addiction affinity for buying shoes.

I have slowly come around to the fact that I need some type of insert, both to provide ample (but not too rigid) support and to fill the volume so that I don't get creasing that folds into the top of my foot. Slowly, because I do not want to replace dozens and dozens of old models.
For what it's worth, I also have very flat feet (which pronate a lot as a result). I've been using these for the past two months. I didn't have to size up my shoes, and they help with both discomfort and pronation. It's not a perfect fix, of course, but I didn't need to throw out my old shoes!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads